Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 19 Apr 15, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Originally Posted by xxjemmamxx View Post
Fab report! Love seeing all the scrummy food. We also stay at Canada Ave Comfort Inn, we love it there! It's a bit of a hidden gem x
Isn't it just! Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for a cheapy trip.

Thanks to you all for your comments, I've managed to write up a few more days to hopefully satisfy your tastebuds

JA x

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

Trip Report - December 2010
Food Report - November 2013
Florida Road Trip - November 2015
disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 15, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

17th November – Lunch at our neighbours and an evening on Boardwalk.

We had another park free day today so had a lazy morning and has a walk along the Sassagoula to French Quarter for lunch in Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory. Again, a lovely food court with a good selection, but as always I'd done my dibb research and knew what I wanted. Conor went for the same, we both had the Shrimp Po Boy. It didn't disappoint and I keep meaning to try and make it for us since coming home but not got round to it yet. They are lush!

For dessert Conor chose the Chocolate cake

And I, of course had to try the Beignets... yummmmm! Had to let Conor try one too though...kids!

Really nice lunch and after a look around the resort we walked back home. FQ is really nice but we still prefer Riverside. Stopped off In Riverside Mill for a drink each, I had an iced latte to take back to our room. Love these.

That evening we caught the bus to Studios and walked along to Boardwalk. I do love Boardwalk but I think it would have been better going on an evening for a meal or drinks with an adult. There's not much to do otherwise. My friend told me the pizzas from the pizza window are lush so that's where we decided to eat, whilst sitting on the boardwalk people watching. Not sure what was wrong with me that night but I found the pizza disgusting, it had a weird taste, the pepperoni seemed different to what they use in Riverside? Anyway, I had a slice and didn't eat any more. Conor said it was perfectly fine so he put a dent in it but the rest was binned.

After we'd eaten we walked around to Beach Club and caught the bus back to Downtown Disney to catch the boat home. Next time I go to Boardwalk I want a proper meal.

18th November – Sweet treats and a very disappointing Ohana

We had an amazing day planned today, we were booked for the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and a meal I was really looking forward to on the evening, Ohana at the Polynesian Resort.
The tour was fantastic, even better than the one at Epcot, obviously because it was in Magic Kingdom. During the tour we stopped off for a complimentary lunch at Columbia Harbour House.
I'd ordered the Anchors Aweigh sandwich...that's a tuna sarnie to us. And I think Conor got chicken nuggets and fries but I don't seem to have a pic...but they all look the same to be fair.
As does a tuna sarnie

After the tour we grabbed a couple of drinks and cupcakes from Starbucks on Main Street. I had the pumpkin spiced iced latte which wasn't as nice as the hot ones. I also got a peanut butter cupcake.

Yes this was as good as it looks but sooooo sickly sweet.
Conor chose the red velvet cupcake.

It too was good.

A while later we both had one of these babies... no need for an introduction really is there?

We decided to catch the boat to the Poly so we could try and bring our ADR forward but when we got there it was chocka of people waiting and they couldn't really bring it much more forward. We sat in the lobby waiting for it to open and got a couple of drinks. They had my fave on their cocktail menu so I had another Smoked Turkey

Once we were seated this is where it all went down hill. The server was rubbish. He obviously had too many tables and was forgetful. We waited an age for our drinks, I did love my Lapu Lapu though.

But the food was a total disappointment, it was cold and not tasty at all. Conor hated it! He just wanted to leave. We didn't have any seconds, I just asked for dessert. The bread pudding was the only nice thing about the meal. The food, service and atmosphere was pants and we would never go back.
I didn't take any photos of the main due to it being so poor but here's a bad pic of the yummy dessert.

One of our favourite days of the holiday but sadly let down by our meal.

19th November – Studios and a very civilised Irish evening

Today was our first day in MGM... sorry, Hollywood Studios. This is probably our least favourite park yet has 3 of our favourite rides in. So fast passes on our magic bands for those. We'd had our usual breakfast of pastries and drinks from Riverside Mill. I do love the cheese pastry.

Then headed to Studios on the bus, not getting there until almost midday. This was one of the reasons we enjoyed this holiday so much as I secured our fast passes for the rides we wanted to do and just did everything at a leisurely pace rather than a military attack as in previous years. We had Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller Coaster done within the hour!
We stopped off for lunch at Backlot Express.
I had the Southwest Salad with chicken which I can safely say was rank! The chicken was slimy and the salad had no taste whatsoever. I followed that bad choice by having the chocolate mousse, which made up for it.

Conor had the Spicy Buffalo Chicken Breast nuggets which were really good. Disney sure know how to do chicken nuggets. He also got the chocolate mousse.

Not a bad counter service to be honest, I just need to make better choices in future.

After bagging our most wanted fast pass on Toy Story Mania, I decided I wanted to try the new Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge. I ordered the Martini Flight and Conor one of those weird smoothie/milkshake things again.

All I will say is... these went straight to my head First time ever I've been tipsy in Disney.
Conor's “thing”

I loved sitting here watching the world go by and would love to sit with a cheese board and drinks one day... but onwards...we had park time to fill!
After we freshened up back at home we caught the boat along to Downtown for our ADR at our 2nd favourite place in Disney World after Magic Kingdom (can't call us hard to please )...Raglan Road. We weren't given a particularly good table if I'm honest but it was packed to the rafters. We were seated in a “snug” where we faced the main restaurant and were actually alongside the stage, which was a bummer for seeing the band and dancers. Never mind, on with the food.
I ordered the obligatory cocktail, and if anyone knows what this is, remind me. It was ok, not the worse but certainly not good enough to warrant me remembering it's name.

Again I knew what I was ordering tonight after recommendations from my friend...hoping it was better than her pizza one. It was!
I got the It's not bleedin Chowder. And she wasn't bleedin wrong...it was delicious!

Conor got the Serious Steak.

It also got the thumbs up. He didn't eat the marmalade glaze so I nicked a chip (yes they were chips here, NOT fries) and dipped it in and it was lush. Would have complimented the steak had he tried it.
For dessert we both ordered the Gers bread and butter pudding. In hindsight we should have just ordered one and shared it. It was to die for, but it was waaaaay too much for one person.

Another lovely meal at Raglan Road and to finish off our night we sat at the bar and watched the entertainment. Can't wait to go back.

20th November – Breakfast with Donald and return to our old “home”

I was really looking forward to today as it was our first visit to Animal Kingdom on this trip and we were having breakfast at Tusker House with Donald and pals. It was nice heading into Animal Kingdom just prior to opening and walking over to Tusker House in an empty park, except for other breakfast guests. We met Donald outside the restaurant but sadly they lost those photos
We were shown to our table and received our jungle juice and I ordered tea. Then it was a quick dash for food as the characters were already on their way. I really enjoyed the food here but Conor wasn't impressed. He mainly just got a plate of pastries and muffins whereas I tried a few different things, including my first ever Mickey waffle, hoorah and I love the sausage patties over there. On my dessert plate I tried the strawberry turnover and the banana bread cinnamon pudding, both of which were gorgeous. But my favourite thing, as simple as it is, was the orange bread. I went back for another plate of just that! Greedy girl!
I haven't really been taking buffet pics as they never look appetising but on this occasion I did.

Orange cake mmmmmmmmm

Belly's nicely filled (well mine was) we went off on a safari...

Not sure what was up with Conor today but he wasn't in the mood for AK and after a few hours he'd had enough. We were booked for dinner at Boma but it was hours until our ADR so we decided to cancel it as we didn't want to hang around and would see if we could get in another night. However, on returning to Riverside and calling at reception to do this was informed we would be charged. Ouch! So we just kept it and after some chill time back in our room we headed back to Animal Kingdom Lodge, our old "home". We love it there but have only ever had breakfast at Boma so wanted to try dinner. It was fantastic, both thoroughly enjoyed it and went back several times.
As I said, don't tend to take pics of buffet food but here's one of some of the desserts on offer.

We were both so full afterwards though that the bus journey and boat journey took forever!
Would highly recommend.

21st November – The great wash out and crabs legs galore

Today's plans were Blizzard Beach all day, a quick visit to Studios and dinner at Cape May in Beach Club, but it was one of those rainy days, and we all know in Florida when it rains you either grin and bare it or just write the day off. Thankfully we got a few hours at the waterpark before the rain started so not all was lost. We didn't even attempt to go to Studios and headed home to freshen up then headed to Downtown to get the bus to Beach Club. We had a little wait but got to see and smell the chocolate carousel and lighthouse. So clever. Wish we had scratch and sniff technology.

Then Cape May opened and it was time to unleash the beasts... that's us by the way.
Again, I'm happy to report I can not fault this restaurant, the server was fab, the atmosphere was fab and the food was AWESOME! And again I apologise for no photos but loads of mis match food on a plate does not look appealing to others. But I can tell you the clam chowder was deeeelish, the salad bar saw a lot of me and I'm sure Conor filled 3-4 buckets with crab legs shells. A really good buffet, catering for all, not just sea food lovers.
As for the dessert... see the tiny chocolate square on the following photo...heaven on a plate, I kid you not! I had toooooooooo many of those.

What was also nice about this meal was even though we ate a lot neither of us felt uncomfortably full, just totally satisfied. Along with Le Cellier, this was our other favourite meal.

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

Trip Report - December 2010
Food Report - November 2013
Florida Road Trip - November 2015

Edited at 10:47 AM.
disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 15, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Fabulous report! That's the second report that I've read where raglan rd sounds amazing. I'v booked ohana's for dinner - purely for the pineapple bread 😳. We did breakfast last year, but didn't really rate it, we found the atmosphere lacking too. Thanks for sharing
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 15, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
halloweenbaby2
VIP Dibber

Love food reports! Thanks for taking the time
halloweenbaby2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 15, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BLDY&McGoo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by disneydaft70 View Post
16th November – Grand Floridian Cafe and Wedding cake on Seven Seas Lagoon

Today we had a non park day, which was lucky as it rained, all day. Not lucky for our lovely new friend's Beth and Scott who were getting married today.
I did the usual breakfast run.

Then later for lunch we went to Riverside Mill for a change.
I had a Build your own salad, and like the pasta, I had all sorts thrown in. Doesn't look too appetising but it was lush. By the way, you can have either chicken or steak with this, I had the steak and they tossed loads of it in to the salad. Again, I was trying to be “good” and had fruit for dessert.

Conor had the Cajun Chicken sandwich again. And he was so impressed with my cheesecake he had that.

All went down well with, you guessed it, a luminous beverage.

We made a bit of an effort for our evening plans as not only were we eating at Grand Floridian Cafe (Ok it's not that posh) but we were meeting up with the newly weds and joining them on their Wishes Cruise. Very exciting!

But first our meal at Grand Floridian Cafe.
I ordered a Smoked Turkey cocktail which is now my fave ever cocktail... that you can't get here! Boooooo!

Conor ordered one of those weird looking smoothies again.

And the bread was gorgeous and plentiful.

I ordered the New York strip, medium rare. Twas a very good steak and the bearnaise sauce was yummy.

Conor loves loves loves lobster so he had the Surf and Turf Burger...he was in his element.

Now dessert was interesting as we were both a “little” surprised with what was delivered to the table, as it wasn't quite what we had thought we'd ordered.
I ordered the Chocolate Fondue (menu reads: Chocolate Fondue with Fruit, Brownie Bites, and Campfire Marshmallows)
This is what I got.

Hmmm... not quite as described but was actually really nice, albeit messy to eat and no brownie... heathens!
Conor ordered the Boston Cream Pie.
The waiter delivered it to the table and Conor's face was a picture. He picked the plate up, looked under it as if to say “where's the rest? ” To a chorus of laughter from the a group of American adults on the table next to us who had witnessed it all and obviously found Conor's bemusement hilarious.
This is what he got

I enjoyed this meal but Conor just said it was ok. So probably not somewhere we'd bother with again.

Then it was time to meet Beth and Scott and considering the poor souls were soaked through, Beth looked beautiful. I'm sure she won't mind me sharing this piccie of them.

The Wishes Cruise was amazing, one of the highlights of the holiday and myself and Conor will always be thankful to Beth and Scott for letting us ambush their big day, especially when I was meant to be their photographer for the evening and Conor ended up doing it. Anyway, I'm digressing again. Whilst on the cruise we had a slice of this each. Yum!

Afterwards they dropped Conor and I off at home in their Mustang. We thought we were the bees knees! Lovely couple and we're so glad we met them.

Aww you are lovely!
We loved having you come along for the ride, it was a laugh!
Disney friends for life now =P

I did begin to think that your trippie was never going to be done though, You will be off again soon so I expect another one! Some of your food looks lush! Making me hungry!
BLDY&McGoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 15, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Jim
Very Serious Dibber

I love the title of your trippie, I think we can all identify with it
Big Jim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 15, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Loving all of the food in your trip pie... Making the diet hard but cannot wait to be back in Disney in August!
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 15, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post

I don't understand... boneless rib but it had a huge bone? Loving the different food pics.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 15, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Been looking forward to the next instalment great report!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 15, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Great report
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List