Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 15 Oct 15, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

Interesting to hear your thoughts on signatures as we were going to try a few on our visit. We are staying at AKL so thought we'd go for Jiko. Really fancy the boathouse too!
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 15, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Sept 26

Discovery Cove brekkie and lunch

We were off to DC today for a day of relaxation (which turned out to be one of the longest days we did on holiday, from 8:40am at DC until 11:30pm at MK )

We were in DC and sunbeds were commandeered by 9am, so we headed over to get some breakfast.

Pictured are 2 ham and cheese croissants, 2 plates of french toast sticks, a blueberry and chocolate muffin, 2 yoghurts and some fruit. Not pictured were 2 pots of Frosties cereal. This was enough to set us up for the morning, considering you can snack all day long! I love the french toast sticks and you can get pots of maple syrup to dip them in as well!

We don't actually tend to snack too much around DC despite the fact that it is all free! Around lunchtime we picked up some bud light lime and I had a pretzel while DW got some BBQ crisps.

When it came to lunch, we went pretty plain and simple, we both had BBQ pulled pork sandwiches with fries. I had some chocolate cake for dessert, and DW had some fruit.

Pretty standard for a BBQ pulled pork sandwich, not the best but not the worst. Dessert was pretty meh as well, but to be honest we don't go to DC for the food, it's all about having a proper chill day

We had a couple more bud light limes after lunch, and I also had a frozen alcoholic mango drink. Can't remember the name of it but it was tasty!

Next up, Grand Floridian Cafe for dinner...

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 15, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Sept 26

Grand Floridian Cafe (dinner)

After a long day at DC we had a couple of hours in the room before heading out to the GF for dinner. In the past we have found that GF Cafe has usually been a quiet place and easy to get an ADR, however this time it was hard to get a decent timed ADR and it was rammed when we got there. I have a feeling it was because it was busier than usual and I'm guessing a lot of people had free dining and were using up their credits at the previously "lesser-known" places (this has happened in the past at Sanaa, The Wave and Via Napoli. They used to be not as popular as they seem to be nowadays IMO).

Anyway, onto the food!

Bread service was different for a change. Like Citricos, the V&As bakery team make the bread for here as well. There were mini-loaf type granary breads with currants in them, and some sour dough rolls. Both were very yummy!

For my main I ordered what I have had before, the Surf and Turf Burger - Angus Chuck Burger, Butter-poached Lobster, Red Onion Marmalade, and Arugula on a Brioche Bun with Chips. DW ordered what she has also had before, Pan-roasted Chicken Breast with Chef's seasonal risotto and chicken jus. Not just creatures of habit as we know that they are standout dishes.

The burger is one of my favourite burgers that Disney do. The lobster is done perfectly, and the burger is nice and juicy (and they cook it how you want). I am a big fan of rocket (aka arugula) and the red onion marmalade just tops it off.

The handmade chips are quite unusual as well, they seem to be made from all different sorts of potato, and are taste how kettle chips taste (I assume they are cooked the same) - so crispy, salty and not greasy. They also make homemade ketchup which comes on the side, which is spicier than usual ketchup, but is not bad.

DW tells me her chicken was juicy (it is cooked on the bone) and she loves risotto and mushrooms so this was a winner for her. Both are reasonably priced for entrees at a TS place as well, double win!

Onto desserts. Due to DWs allergy we couldn't share the sampler platter, but thankfully she had quite a choice on her menu. I went for Chocolate Timbale, which is a chocolate gateaux with bittersweet chocolate mousse. DW had the Chocolate Fondue, which came with Fruit, Brownie Bites, and Campfire Marshmallows (she was very excited to have brownies!)

My dessert was a bit non-descriptive. It was ok but nothing standout (at least it gives me an excuse to book another trip to try more of their desserts ). DW said her fondue was amazing (I did sneak a marshmallow and it was a nice touch to be slightly toasted. The chocolate sauce was quite bitter and nice and smooth). It might not look much, but you get a lot for the money.

Next up, Kona Cafe for lunch...

stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 15, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

Never really thought about going to the Grand Floridian for dinner with 2 children but this looks a lovely relaxed place. I think you've just made the situation worse...
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 15, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tor32 View Post
Never really thought about going to the Grand Floridian for dinner with 2 children but this looks a lovely relaxed place. I think you've just made the situation worse...
I don't think you'll find any probs if you choose to go to the GF with your kids, but it depends on what you are after from your trip. As an adult couple it suits us, but if your kids prefer characters or more lively restaurants, then maybe choose somewhere different?

Old 19 Oct 15, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stan_the_man View Post
I don't think you'll find any probs if you choose to go to the GF with your kids, but it depends on what you are after from your trip. As an adult couple it suits us, but if your kids prefer characters or more lively restaurants, then maybe choose somewhere different?
Our boys will be a bit older next time 10 and 7 so not really fussed about 'entertainment'! I wouldn't go to the 2 credit places in the GF with them. I know pre children I wouldn't have wanted to go for a romantic meal and have children sat at the next table no matter how well behaved they are!
Old 19 Oct 15, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Some great meals , can't wait for more ,I always read this in bed when am hungry !
Old 20 Oct 15, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Sept 27

Kona Cafe (lunch)

This was our first trip to the Poly since all the refurbing and longhouse building had been carried out. Can't say I was impressed, I preferred the waterfall in the lobby and the view over Seven Seas Lagoon (I'd still like to stay there though!).

We had a 12pm ADR for Kona so I thought we'd be seated quickly as they start lunch service at 12pm, but we still had to wait 10 mins. We then got tucked away in a corner and seem to got forgotten about! This was probably the worst service of the entire trip, which is a shame as we always eat here and enjoy it (we were also paying OOP for this today).

Enough moaning however, onto the food! No bread service today, I don't think they offer it at lunchtime?

So we usually both order the the polynesian plate lunch, however I fancied something different, so I had the Barbecue Pork Taco - BBQ Pulled Pork with Tomato Salsa and Jalapeño-Lime Sour Cream, served in House-made Shells with Pasta Salad and Smokey Bacon Slaw. DW had the Grilled Teriyaki Steak with Grilled Pineapple Salsa - served with Sticky Rice and Pasta Salad.

All I can say is yum! So many interesting flavours, the smokey bacon slaw was something I have never had before and worked brilliantly with the tacos, and the jalapeno-lime sour cream was a nice twist on the usual plain sour cream. The pasta salad is always yummy, even though I have no idea how they make it (I usually detest pasta salad in the UK cos I don't like salad cream or mayonnaise, so I think they put something in it to make it yummier ) and although I only thought 2 tacos wouldn't be enough, it was.

I didn't have to sample DWs meal to know what it was like as I've had it before. The steak was cooked spot on to her liking, and the teriyaki sauce and pineapple salsa really set it off (so much so that I have made it a few times for dinner back home!)

Desserts were an interesting affair. I had the Warm Apple Tart with cinnamon gelato and bacon-macadamia nut brittle, DW had the Banana-Chocolate Crème Brûlée with a Chocolate Spiral

So, apple tart with cinnamon and bacon? YES PLEASE! This was one of the best desserts I had at Disney iCinnamon is one of my favourite flavours and in an ice cream melting all over a warm apple tart, well it was delicious! Bacon-macadamia nut brittle was a stroke of genius, adding texture, smokiness and a sweet finish.

As for the creme brulee, this is one of the more interesting ones available in Disney for nut-allergy sufferers. Unfortunately they no longer serve it with half a caramelised banana, but just a few slices on top now (cutbacks...) but it is still tasty. The bottom layer is solid chocolate, and the top is banana flavoured creme brulee, winner!

We finished our meal with a press pot of Kona coffee, one of the best coffees (IMO) you can get in Disney.

Next up, a soggy Cosmic Rays for MNSSHP dinner...

Old 20 Oct 15, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
aay_esha
Apprentice Imagineer

aw that looks yummy !
aay_esha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 15, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
I too am a big fan of rocket, and I love that burger in GF Cafe, best burger ever!