Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 31 Oct 16, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Scotscraig's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
How do we get rid of all these snack credits? Food Trip Report Oct 2016 with ddp **COMPLETE**

Hi and welcome to my effort at another food report from our very recent October trip.

My DW and 11 year old son and I spent 15 nights (1 night at All Star Movies and 14 nights at the Wilderness Lodge with DDP). It was another magical trip and the Wilderness Lodge was a good as ever (even with the ongoing construction work. The $1400 room credit helped of course...)

Here is the index. I will hopefully have all the days posted quickly.

Pre Travel day
Travel day - Earl of Sandwich / Ghirardelli
Day 1 - Trails End / Rose & Crown
Day 2 - Tusker House / Boardwalk Pizza
Day 3 - Roaring Fork / Columbia Harbour House
Day 4 - Be Our Guest / Beaches & Cream
Day 5 - Boulangerie Pattiserie Les Halles / Garden Grill
Day 6 - Contempo Café / The Plaza
Day 7 - BB Wolfe and Deluxe Burger / Sanaa
Day 8 - Roaring Fork / Sci Fi Fine In
Day 9 - Kennedy Space Centre / The Whispering Canyon
Day 10 - Starring Rolls / Raglan Road
Day 11 - Crystal Palace / Epcot Food & Wine
Day 12 - Sunshine Seasons / Yachtsman Steakhouse
Day 13 - Wolfgang Puck / Roaring Fork
Day 14 - Be Our Guest / Teppan Edo
Day 15 - Roaring Fork
Food trip report Oct 2017 with DDP
Food trip report Oct 2018 with DDP

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019

Edited at 08:09 PM.
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Pre travel day

We did our usual and took our picnic which we scoffed in our room at The Premier Inn near Edinburgh Airport (we were flying indirect this year from Edinburgh via Gatwick to Orlando with BA).

Washed down with some beers and cider.

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Travel day

We had an early internal flight from Edinburgh so breakfast was airline food which for once was fairly good – A cooked breakfast which included to my son’s delight tater tots!

We had a three hour gap between flights in Gatwick and then boarded our international flight. The food on board was pretty awful and by the time it came to us there was only one choice which was a chicken curry thing for everyone (including kids….) and a pretty vile Cous Cous salad.

The wee chocolate pudding was quite good however that was as good as it got. I will add that we were not impressed by BA full stop. The planes were pretty shabby and clearly hadn’t been cleaned for some time, IFE was dire and packed in on return journey, we got one drink on an 8 hour flight and only toilet at rear of plane working on return journey. Apart from that they were ‘triffic!

Anyway, I digress. Just before landing we were given a chicken Caesar sandwich which was OK and staff eventually found a kids cheese one for DS along with the worlds smallest Kit Kats.

We arrived on time and made our way to our overnight stop at All Star Movies, which at Ł70 for a night wasn’t a bad option and we were in Disney! (much to DW’s delight…)

We nipped to Disney Springs and had our usual 1st night ritual to Earl of Sandwich which was as good as ever. DW and I had the Original and DS the pepperoni flatbread which he said was great.

We then nipped to Ghirardellis and DW and I each had an Espresso Sundae which are magic (and are another 1st night must) and DS had a small tub of brownies he had bought in Earls (the 1st of many brownies I may add).

Tonight’s food was courtesy of our $200 gift card as our DDP didn’t start until we checked in to WL. A pretty good start. Tomorrow the DDP starts...

Old 31 Oct 16, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Great start. Looking forward to the rest.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 1 - Trails End / Rose & Crown

We woke early and after a quick look around All Star Movies, we made our way to WL and checked in and then drove to FW for our breakfast at Trails End.

We ate here last year for dinner and were a bit disappointed however decided to give breakfast a go and it was much better with lots of choice (including lots of sugar!). I’ll let the photos (including the buffet pictures) do the talking but the pulled pork and cinnamon pudding were the standouts.

As you can see we even remembered our own 'broon' sauce...

The buffet in all it's glory...

Full to the brim we paid using our first TS credits. One we would probably do again…

For info I noted the full cost would have been $63.90 and we left a $10.80 tip (18%).

We had an afternoon snack from the Roaring Fork –

Magic cookie bar (again first of many as we love these!) shared by DW and I and DS had a chocolate brownie (you will see a theme developing here…..)

Tonights dinner was in Epcot at the Rose & Crown which was a first for us.

We were seated outside and right below the AC which made it a bit chilly. Our server, David was a fellow Scot and was the server of the holiday, a real gent who went the extra mile. It was a shame that the food didn’t quite match.

DW and I had the Strip steak with fish which when I ate it was a strange combination both in looks and taste. It was OK but the steak was a bit tough and the mash didn’t do anything for me. DS had the fish and chips which he said was fine.

Desserts were...

Banoffee tart for me, which was alright,

trifle for DW which having tasted it was not good, basically a watery fruit bowl, custard and a blob of cream and almost no flavour (sorry forgot to take a pic but borrowed this one).

DS had the jaffa cakes which were scoffed and he said he had enjoyed them

Not an awful meal, but not one we would do again, particulary in Epcot where there are other good options.

We paid using 3 TS credits and left a 20% tip which was well deserved. David also gave us a handwritten note to allow us to watch Illumations from their VIP area later which was a nice touch…

Old 31 Oct 16, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 2 - Tusker House / Boardwalk Pizza

After a bowl of cereal in our room it was off to AK for the day and we had an early lunch at Tusker House.

We have had breakfast here before which was good and so lunch was a new one for us. The buffet was however excellent with plenty of choice and because our ADR was at 1120 we found we had the choice or lunch and breakfast, a bonus...

The carved meats and the beef in particular were a stand out.

First course...

2nd go at the buffet from the carb section...

The puddings contained a 7 layer bar which was even better than the Magic Cookie bar from the Roaring Fork according to DW! High praise indeed…..
These were two that eh...escaped and managed to be eaten with a coffee later in the day!

Character interaction was good and as manic as usual. Suitably
stuffed we managed to spend the afternoon in AK.

We managed a couple of large lattes from Starbucks using snack credits in the afternoon along with aforementioned 7 layer bars and DS had his first Mickey Pretzel of the trip.

We decided tea was going to be at The Boardwalk Pizza window (despite it’s mixed reviews) and using 2 CS credits we had a large pepperoni pizza to share.

This also entitled us to 2 sides, 2 desserts and 2 drinks. We chose the salad (which was instantly forgettable) No picture I'm afraid as it didn't last long enough on the table before being binned, savoury popcorn which was saved for another day
and 2 cookies (also for another day although ended up joining the mousekeeping tip... )

and a couple of bottles of water and we used the refill station in the Boardwalk Bakery for drinks from our mugs.
The pizza was actually pretty good and gave us each two and a bit slices, so plenty to share.
We then walked to HS for Fantasmic buying three ice cream cups from Hollywood Scoops for 3 snack credits.

Very tasty. Shame the rain came teeming down 5 minutes into the show…..

Old 31 Oct 16, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 3 – Roaring Fork / Columbia Harbour House

Breakfast today was from the Roaring Fork.

Banana nut muffin (superb as ever) for me

Chocolate muffin for DS

Pecan cinnamon swirl for DW

3 snack credits used.

After a morning at Blizzard Beach we were all peckish so it was back to the ‘Fork for lunch…
Foot long hot dog for DS (I don’t know where he puts it. He must have hollow legs but he scoffed the lot!)

DW and I shared a pepperoni flatbread and a Northwest chicken sandwich and fries. Both were pretty tasty.

Desserts were a Magic Cookie Bar for the adults and a wait for it, a chocolate brownie for the lad….

3 QS credits used.

We spent the late afternoon and evening in MK and had tea at the Columbia Harbour House. I am not a great fun of the quick service offerings in MK but this is probably the best of them.

DW and I had the chicken and fish and DS had the chicken all of which come with the obligatory fries, which go cold within seconds and have way too much salt. Honestly, I think I only used salt and pepper for one meal during our entire stay!

The fruit cobbler was polished off by yours truly and DW and DS had the chocolate cake.

3 QS credits used.

Old 31 Oct 16, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 4 – Be Our Guest / Beaches & Cream

After waiting an eternity on the MK bus we made our way to the park. A busy morning later, we made our way to our 1100 reservation at Be Our Guest.

Thankfully we had pre ordered which saved the usual faffing about and we sat in the ballroom where we all had plumped for the Croque Monsieur which was really good and nice and hot.

Tip – there is no mayonnaise however they keep a secret stash under the drink fountains. Just ask the CM and they will give you a small bowl of it.

Desserts were a lemon puff for me (fairly average)

a chocolate puff for DW

and triple choc cake for DS

Suitably stuffed we left having paid with 3 CS credits. I still think this is the best CS meal on property using a CS credit. The food is good with real plates and cutlery and a great location….

We later used a QS credit for 2 large lattes from the Starbucks Main St bakery and a chocolate brownie to share.

Tea was a trip to the Beach Club at Beaches & Cream, a favourite from last year.

DW and I shared the Reuben and The Beaches patty melt.

Both were excellent and the fries are superb. DS plumped for the hot dog.

Desserts were a dilemna and I went for the Grilled Banana Bread and Peanut Butter which was good but after a few mouthfuls was pretty sickly due to the peanut butter and cream.

DW had the Fudge mudslide with mint ice cream instead of vanilla of which she finished barely a half and DS had the Brownie a la mode without the cream and with mint ice cream. Again he barely made any headway and admitted defeat.

Yet another show of eyes bigger than belly and we waddled off from the table suitably stuffed having paid using 3 TS credits. Beaches and Cream is a favourite for us and one we would do even without the DDP. The atmosphere and service are always great, as is the food...

Old 31 Oct 16, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Great start to your food report. Looking forward to reading more.

Can I ask did you pick up your gift card before you checked into the WL? We are staying at AOA before our ddp starts at AKL next year.
Old 1 Nov 16, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
clarithy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Great report so far. Love how you brought your own HP, thankfully I am a tomato sauce fan which is obvs readily available.

Looking forward to more
clarithy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List