Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 26 Sep 17, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
I am travelling with my daughter to Manchester airport at Easter time. I am getting the train down and then flying the next day from terminal 3. Can anyone advise on the best hotel to stay in overnight that is in the airport. This is my first time travelling with my daughter alone and she will be 12.

Thank you
Just wanted to say that my DD and I are doing similar from Gatwick in October 2018. We are going to take a National Express coach the day before, which takes us straight to North terminal. We will do twilight check in with Virgin and hoping to book Premier Inn soon when they open bookings for our dates as the Premier Inn is apparently just opposite the terminal so we can just stroll over the next morning ready for our flight.

I am quite nervous about making the journey without a car (or my DH who is our usual driver 😀 ) but we have had lots of advice from helpful Dibbers too. Hope you and your daughter (and me and mine) have a lovely holiday.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Have a look at the premier inn Heald Green. It's 1 stop/a couple of minutes before the airport and is right next to the station. My husband stayed there one year as he was joining us later. He said it was so easy and just a couple of minutes on the train to the airport in the morning. If you look on Google earth then you'll see how close they all are.

I see that someone has recommended the premier inn south too. If you fancy that one, look at the north one too as they're in the same location - they face each other across the car park. Just thought I'd mention it because sometimes there's a difference in price, but no difference in location 😊
Another vote for Heald Green Premier Inn, easy 167 yard walk from HG station with a, Reception booked, £6 taxi fare to the terminal the following morn. This Nov our room cost £29.50, whereas the RB is oft in excess of £100, whilst we can afford the RB I'd rather put the difference into 4 weeks of petrol in Fl If one is looking at RB prices, find the lowest an agent is offerring, then ring the RB as they will price match. Booking with them direct puts you in with a better chance of a free upgrade to a business class room, but it's always worth asking irrespective of how you've booked

Heald Green town is a few mins walk from the PI, plenty of eateries, the HG chippie apparently receives excellent reviews, not that we'd know, we take 'Our mam's' sandwiches (what a great cafe 'Our Mam's' is ) after a ding dong Sunday lunch! Also a Beefeater is attached to HG PI.

Vicki, I appreciate you may know this, if not, two of the rooms in HG's newly built extension have wet rooms. They've reserved one for our visit in November as getting in and out of the bath to shower gives my back hell

Rachel, hubs and I buy TPE tickets around 12 to 15 weeks pre-train journey. TPE now sell tickets afore the 12 week date. Our Mia (Man Airport) train is £15.50pp, plus we buy a £10 Weekend First upgrade onboard. Off the train at Mia, cross the platform and jump on the waiting train to go 2 mins up the line to HG. It's purely our personal choice as Durham to Mia is a canny bit cheaper than buying Durham to HG and a much easier train change at Mia vs Piccadilly. Mia to HG fare is £2.10pp, altho you can pre-book we pay for them on the train.
Old 26 Sep 17, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
here is a picture from google earth to show you where things are in relation to the station

out of the station in the lift up to the Skylink covered walkway and head towards terminal two and this will take you to the reception for the radisson which is off the covered walkway

then to get to terminal three take the walkway towards terminal one, terminal three it is around ten to fifteen minutes to terminal three with lugage but they do have the moving walkways so it is not a hard walk

the radisson is fairly expensive but it is by far the most convenient hotel if arriving by train

Edited at 09:36 PM.
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

We've stayed at Premier Inn North & South without any issues. We also like the Crowne Plaza which has free shuttle transfers.
I priced up the Radisson which for our dates looked nice but was c£400!
tigger48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tigger48 View Post
We've stayed at Premier Inn North & South without any issues. We also like the Crowne Plaza which has free shuttle transfers.
I priced up the Radisson which for our dates looked nice but was c£400!
Like you we find the PI beds very comfy tigger, for £29.50 it does what it says on the tin. HG PI is much smaller than Runger Lane PI's, and even tho HG PI is on the flight path we find it quiet.

RB prices have increased quite substantially. We overnighted twice when Cultuzz Digital Media GmbH had the 2014 RB £70 B&B eBay auction, which increased to £95 in 2015. A pal is a General Manager for RB and he advised me mid 2015 to grab an eBay auction soonest as they were ending that Autumn. The RB's canny, especially as we were upgraded to a Business Class room, but we find current rates too high to only be a two minute walk to the terminal.
Old 27 Sep 17, 04:52 AM  
Link to this Post
salmon70
Imagineer

Mobile

We've always said one day we'd love to stay in the Radisson the night before. However, for what you pay for a room (room only basis) to stay there, I can pay for our train fares, taxi transfers, hotel room and evening meal for less than 1 night at the Radisson - to me it's a no brainer.
salmon70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 17, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

The radios on hotel is a great location, but the rooms and the rest of the hotel and really average, I would much rather save the money and stay at a nearby premier inn.
Old 28 Sep 17, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm going to stay in the Premier Inn North (I think).