Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 4 Oct 17, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Talking It's a Small World Crèche or Oceaneer Club for 3 year old?

Hi everybody,

We will be going on our second Disney Cruise this December (Bahamas 4 Night Very Merrytime on the Dream.

Last time DD was 18 months old so went in the crèche but she is now almost 3 and a half and is allowed in either the Oceaneers Club/Lab or the crèche.

I'm really torn where to send her as although she is very sociable, potty trained etc I do worry the Oceaneer Club may be too independent and I don't recall there being any toys really. She would enjoy getting involved with activities but I think she'd struggle with the free play. However, it does look awesome and has lots to offer.

She wasn't all that happy in the crèche last time but we hadn't much left her alone before that and think she'd be fine now but will she be particularly old compared to the other kids? My DS who will have just turned 1 will be in there and he may well be happier with her there.

Sorry I just wrote way to much

Does anybody have any tips or experience with the clubs?

I understand once you have put them in one onboard you can't swap. They will only be in there when we go for a couple of meals and spa.

Thank you,

Sorry for rambling.

Edited at 09:43 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 17, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We had the same thoughts with my daughter and she preferred the nursery, I think the club is a little overwhelming with the age ranges and the actitivies geared to school age (we did use the open house). The staff ratio was much better in the nursery as well, I would have thought she would settle much better having her brother there
Old 5 Oct 17, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

We are going on out first cruise at the end of the month and I have worked hard to get my three year old toilet trained in time for this holiday. We have discussed the childcare quite a lot as her brother, 7, has autism. He has one to one support at school. I did think about putting her in the nursery but with her cousins and possibly brother going in the older club I knew she wouldn't be happy.

We have decided we are going to take them both during the open house and if they want to go in without us we will only put them in for an hour, if that, at a time. We won't let them go in the evening as we figure that might be when it will be the busiest time. We have't booked any adult only meals as I don't want to force the children area on them if they don't like it.

We figured there is enough going on on the ship that it won't be the end of the world if they don't go into the childcare.

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 17, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
You can swap ... if your child goes into Oceaneers Club/Lab (OC/OL) and is not happy, you can book them into IASWN instead at that age.

Children who are not potty trained can be booked into IASWN, so if littlies have a few accidents in OC or OL, the parents may be directed towards IASWN.

Bear in mind that for OC/OL, the child must be able to go toilet themselves completely .. pull down undies, wipe and pull up undies, no help will be given at all.
As others have said, OC/OL can be overwhelming for a littlie and I'm not sure if I would put my 3 yr old wizard (g/son) in there on his own (knowing his siblings would want to go off and do their own thing)

I know you haven't asked about the pools, but worth pointing out ... they have a new process now to try and avoid the accidents that were happening in the pool so often (grrr to the parents who claim their children were potty trained when they weren't). The new process is that they remove everyone from the childrens pools once an hour for 15 mins. They encourage children to visit the bathroom during the time and they also do visual checks on the water conditions. But really, it's so that children go toilet in a bathroom instead of the pool.

I would definitely go to Open House with your children and see how they get on with you standing in a corner away from them. They have Open House on first day and every day thereafter so make use of those if you are unsure.

Good luck!
Joa
Old 6 Oct 17, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
You can swap ... if your child goes into Oceaneers Club/Lab (OC/OL) and is not happy, you can book them into IASWN instead at that age.
This is good to know.

We have been working so hard potty training our little lady to get her ready. I actually asked nursery today if she is totally OK going on her own now. We automatically help her at home.

I did notice that they have added pre-school hours into the clubs for 3-5 year olds. I was thinking of putting our little lady in this one, if any. They are only 30 minutes.

I really am going to play the whole kids club thing by ear as we are not really sure if it will work for us as a family. I of course need to make sure all the Star Wars stuff if working correcting during our stay

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 17, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by DisneyBride08 View Post
This is good to know.

We have been working so hard potty training our little lady to get her ready. I actually asked nursery today if she is totally OK going on her own now. We automatically help her at home.

I did notice that they have added pre-school hours into the clubs for 3-5 year olds. I was thinking of putting our little lady in this one, if any. They are only 30 minutes.

I really am going to play the whole kids club thing by ear as we are not really sure if it will work for us as a family. I of course need to make sure all the Star Wars stuff if working correcting during our stay
I think you are being very sensible by just seeing what works out for you on the day. The problem for most parents is that their child is trained to go toilet in a safe, quietish environment. One where they know the routine and everything is familiar to them.

Once they're in OC/OL, it's a strange place with new people and LOTS of exciting things to do .. they forget to go toilet then! The staff will not worry too much about one or two accidents, they'll just page you on the Wave phone (or app) and you can come to collect your littlie. If it happens more than a couple of times in one day though, they may direct you towards IASWN.

Good luck with whatever you decide and yes, you DO need to check out the Clubs!