Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Feb 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
We're all going on a Poly-holiday - October 2019: Day 3: Are you achin' for some bacon?

Day 3: Are you achin' for some bacon?
Tuesday 15 October 2019

Index

Starbucks, Animal Kingdom, Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Flight of Passage, Yak & Yati, Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and an evening in the lava pool

We woke around 6am and got dressed and ready pretty quickly with the lure of a starbucks breakfast at AK today spurring us on.

AK had extra magic hours today, opening at 7am instead of 8am.
We had 3 fast passes booked - Kilimanjaro Safaris, Everest and Flight of Passage

We walked from our room to the bus. The sunrise was just gorgeous.

As we walked around the corner, the bus was waiting and fearing it would drive off we started a little jog.

The bus driver and another cast member stood by the bus told us not to worry, it's not going anywhere without you! You're on vacation, relax!

We made it

After a short bus ride we arrived at Animal Kingdom

And walked round to Creature Comforts to join the queue for breakfast.

Does anyone else get anxiety having to join the queue to actually see the menu at Starbucks without fully knowing what you want yet - what if I get there and I don't know? What if i panic and order the wrong thing because I don't want to keep the people behind waiting?

Somehow, after a quick look at the food on show we managed to keep our cool and choose our order

We went outside and found a free table just outside.

We went for a double smoked bacon cheddar and egg sandwich, a sausage, cheddar and egg sandwich, some granola, a latte, 1 chocolate chip frap, 1 iced water and a PUMPKIN SPICED LATTE

It was all delicious and lovely to be sat outside in the sunshine eating.

With full tummies it was time for some adventure.

But not before a few photos! Animal Kingdom is so Instagrammable!

We headed on into the Gorilla Falls Exploration trail, I just love this side of Disney, it's such a different pace to the rest of the park. It's nice to take it easy and learn as you go.

The girls earning some Wilderness Explorer badges.

Hey, Mr Gorilla!

Next, we decided to take the Wildlife Express train to check out the Animation class. We were so excited that they introduced this here - we used to love it at Hollywood Studios!

On the way to the Animation class we stopped for another Wilderness Explorer badge

I spy a hidden Mickey...

We had a look around inside to see some of the animals

And then outside to see the goats in the affection section

Back inside they had some live chickens - the previous class they had learnt how to draw Hei Hei!

Ready for our class!

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 11:23 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Guess who we are drawing?

Daddy's masterpiece

Immy's masterpiece

My masterpiece

I'm not sure where the picture of Izzy's is but it was a masterpiece too!

After a lovely relaxing couple of hours, it was time for our fast pass for Kilimanjario Safaris

It was a 40 minute wait so we were very glad to have this booked.

It was about lunch time now and we were planning on Yak and Yeti QS but we preceded this with a portion of fried dumplings from Mr Kamal's (snack credit).

They were really good, similar to chicken gyoza at Yo! You only get three in a portion so between three of this it did'n't fill us up too much

We loved these UP! Statues

Time for a bit more food at Yak & Yeti. We ordered honey chicken

Egg fried rice

Beef

And ended with this mini mango pie for a snack credit

It was a bit difficult to find a seat as lots of people were sitting there without actually eating the restaurant food and reserving tables, which was very annoying.

The food was all delicious but it was sweltering sat out in the sunshine.

Now time for our next fast pass - Everest! Such an awesome ride.

Our next ride was Flight of Passage but we had a little gap so we decided to grab a couple of Night Blossoms from Pongu pongu. The non-alcoholic versions are snack credits and at the time we went also came with a free light up lotus flower (this promotion ended before we ended our vacation, unfortunately!) which was a total barg!

It's finally Flight of Passage time! This is probably the best ride in the whole of Disney World. I just feel so happy when I'm on it. Bravo Disney.

After the ride we browsed the gift shop and then had a little play on the drums

Our day at Animal Kingdom was winding to a close but we were feeling a bit snackish and the mac and cheese at Eight Spoon Cafe was calling us. If you haven't heard of Eight Spoon cafe, it's a small little shack that basically just serves mac and cheese and beverages. All the mac and cheese are snack credits. They used to be tiny but this one was huge! We ordered the Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Pulled Pork.

We managed to find a shady spot to eat the food, which was just gorgeous.

On the way out we saw a couple of characters:

Kevin

and Dug!

Edited at 02:15 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
We caught the bus back and retired to our room for a while to relax and get some respite from the heat.

We were super excited for the evening as we had the Spirit of Aloha dinner show booked! This was our first ever time and it was so nice that it was at our own resort so we didn't have to worry about transport there and back and we could just chill and relax at the resort afterwards.

We decided on the 5:15pm show (there are 2 a night) so we wouldn't be eating too late and so we had some time to enjoy the resort afterwards.

We decided to pay for the dinner show out of pocket rather than using 2 dining credits each as when I worked out the price per credit on my spreadsheet it didn't work out very good value per credit

The food is all you care to enjoy family feast and includes Aloha pulled pork, Polynesian ribs, roasted chicken and seasonal vegetables. Fresh-cut fruit and a salad with ginger-lime dressing and finish with a Pineapple Guava Cake and Chocolate Cake.

In addition to soft drinks, lemonade, coffee and other non-alcoholic beverages, Guests 21 years of age and up can enjoy beer and wine with their meals (this also included sangria) cocktails are available for an additional charge.

It was very very busy and I was surprised how many people the place held.

The food was all delicious and we loved the entertainment. The only thing I would say was it was difficult for our server to give us the all you care to enjoy experience with the food and drink as he was covering so many tables our glasses were empty quite a lot and we had to wait for a while before we could find him and ask for extra food.

The dessert was really good. I especially liked the pineapple guava cake - we actually asked for seconds of this.

After a fabulous dinner we enjoyed walking round our gorgeous resort, walking on the beach and taking in the relaxed atmosphere.

We decided to try out the main Lava Pool so went back to our room and got changed and headed down. IT was so relaxing and such a great pool with play area and big waterslide as well as a zero entry pool.

We got a couple of cocktails from the pool bar - I had a dole whip cocktail which I cannot remember (or find on google) the name of! It was essentially blended pineapple dole whip and lots of rum and it was insanely delicious. Andy had his trusty fave - long island iced tea.

We loved watching the Electrical Water Pageant from the poolside.

The girls had an amazing time and made some little American friends in the pool.

A relaxing end to another great day.

Edited at 02:17 PM.
Old 14 Feb 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Brilliant day

Joan
Old 14 Feb 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

brilliant day I think Animal Kingdom is now my favourite Disney park!
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Love your t shirts! Looking forward to seeing the electrical water pageant when we have been to Ohana in August x
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Your t shirts are fab, where did you get them from?
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Of course you ordered a PSL always reminds me of you Kate!

Fabulous successful day at AK. Matching tees super cute as usual. How did you find getting the FOP fp so early in the trip?

The evening show looked great too. Hope you made the most of that sangria (when your waiter was around). The pool area looks lovely, have just shown the kids area to my hubby... forever working on him for another fully onsite stay. X
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
Your t shirts are fab, where did you get them from?
I would love to know this too

Super day, looking forward to reading more
Old 14 Feb 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Looked another great day
Just loved your t shirts
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List