Old 17 Aug 23, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
At Sea on the Silhouette - Norwegian Fjords Cruise - August 2023

Pre-Trip report

Its been a while since I last wrote a trip report - almost 4 years now since our trip to Washington DC.

For those that dont know me, Im Jo and my husband is Martin.

In recent years, Ive tended to frequent the General Trip planning/reports sections of the Dibb, so this is my first venture posting a pre-trip report in the Cruise section instead. I havent changed - its still done at the very last minute! 😂

Weve been on a couple of cruises before with friends - our first being a Med cruise with NCL about 7 years ago and the last one was a bit of a last minute booking - a 3 night Virgin cruise to nowhere in 2021. We had a great time with our friends on both trips, and are always thinking about where we can go on future cruises.

We were due to go on a Caribbean cruise in April 2020 and a Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2021 to celebrate both of our big birthdays. Im sure we can all remember that a little thing called Covid had other ideas. 😫 Even though our big birthdays were almost a year apart, both of them were spent in a lockdown instead. 😢 We swore wed do our planned celebrations at some time in the future.

We have been away with our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter for the last couple of years, enjoying a week in a beautiful house in Cornwall in 2021 and a lovely hotel in Lanzarote last year. However were back to holidaying as a couple this year and both previously cancelled cruises have now been rebooked, one for this year and one for next year.

The first one is due to leave tomorrow for a week to the Norwegian Fjords on Celebrity Silhouette. This is the ship wed been due to go on in the Caribbean in 2020, so it felt right that we would book this particular cruise. The ports we are due to visit are Bergen, Olden, Stavanger and Kristiansand.

We havent really planned the details of our port days - were very much playing it by ear. This is partly because life has been very hectic over the past 3 months, with building work taking place at home. Weve had a kitchen extension, so its been rather chaotic living with lots of dust and boxes everywhere, but minus a kitchen! 🙈

Were nearly there now - we finally have a fully functioning kitchen, but still have some painting to do and new accessories to buy. However, a relaxing holiday is now taking priority!

We have looked at some excursions for the ports were visiting, but with all my decision making skills being exhausted on the kitchen, and reading that it is possible to book trips when we arrive at the ports, we thought that waiting would be a good idea. It will allow us to book trips dependent on the weather on the day. Well soon see if that turns out to be a mistake!

After looking at the weather forecast for Norway all week, its changed over the last couple of days and is now looking like well have lots of rain. Im currently thinking I might need to add some more warmer clothes to my case, but its already full. 😬 Im sure I wont wear half of what Im taking, but need options for all weathers.

Since getting stuck in a traffic jam on the way to Heathrow airport about 20 years ago, and thinking we were going to miss our flight, it has become law in our house that unless were departing from our local airport, then we travel to a hotel the day before. Travelling by air or by sea is no different to me, so we are travelling to a Premier Inn in Southampton this evening. Really looking forward to it now.

jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 23, 03:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Have a wonderful trip Jo. I hope your weather is linger too you than our has been to us in Canada!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 23, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks Mel. x
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 23, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
How lovely to see you have a new TR !
Your report which included Boston was great help in our planning when we visited back in 2018 👍🏻

A fjords cruise is on top of my hubbys wish list , so maybe it will inspire us again 😉😆

Your kitchen is amazing, so bright and spacious

Looking forward to following along

Emma x
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 23, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
littletink
Very Serious Dibber

Loving your kitchen 🖤🤍

Have a fabulous trip 🚢

Lindfields 2001 & 2005, West Stonebridge Christmas 2008
Disney Yacht Club, Marco Island, Duck Key & HRH August 2011, Lindfields & Rotonda Aug 2012 - HRH & Rotonda 2013 - HRH & Rotonda 2014 - NYC 2015 - AMI 2016 - Sunset Lakes/Rotonda 2017 - NYC/Bongo's!/AMI 2018 - Boardwalk-Rotonda-HRH 2019 - Rotonda 2023
littletink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 23, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Im a cruise lover, especially from Southampton which is so easy - from parking the car through to getting into your cabin can take as little as 20 mins. So much easier than negotiating a busy airport.

Have a fab time, Im looking forward to your trippies.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 23, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
How lovely to see you have a new TR !
Your report which included Boston was great help in our planning when we visited back in 2018 👍🏻

A fjords cruise is on top of my hubbys wish list , so maybe it will inspire us again 😉😆

Your kitchen is amazing, so bright and spacious

Looking forward to following along

Emma x
Hi Emma,

Glad my previous reports have helped you in the past. Hope this one does too.

And thanks for the kind words about the kitchen. Its been a long time coming and is very different from the small, narrow kitchen it was before.

Originally Posted by littletink View Post
Loving your kitchen 🖤🤍

Have a fabulous trip 🚢
Thank you. Cant believe its over now.

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Im a cruise lover, especially from Southampton which is so easy - from parking the car through to getting into your cabin can take as little as 20 mins. So much easier than negotiating a busy airport.

Have a fab time, Im looking forward to your trippies.
Southampton was a doddle to cruise from, and as you say, really quick to get through.

All the days are up now, having just completed the final posts on the day we got home. Writing and posting it live has actually made it the easiest trip report Ive ever done.