Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 28 Sep 22, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Thumbs up First family trip to Las Vegas and LA - August 2022 - Day 9 - Disneyland

Index

It was time for us to move on again this morning having enjoyed our time in LA. The kids were excited to be going on to Disneyland. We were up and about around 06:30. We had it in mind to get to Disneyland for opening but that was going to be a bit unlikely now.

The traffic was OK. A little slow moving in places but nothing horrendous. I did my usual thing of ignoring the sat nav a couple of times thinking I knew better despite having never been in the area in my life.

We arrived in Anaheim about 08:10 which wasn;t bad going really having done a couple of runs to the car from our room with luggage at the Hilton.

We parked up at The Sheraton about 08:20 and headed inside.

There was a short queue at check in and managed to get checked in. The lady checking us in was very helpful. She told us our room wasn't ready yet and that it would be on the 3rd floor. I asked if it was possible to get a room with a firework view. She managed to change our room to one on the 10th floor and put a note against it saying it wasn't to be taken by anyone else.

She confirmed parking was at a discounted rate of $12 a day due to booking with Virgin.

We set off from the hotel just after 08:30and arrived at bag check at 08:47. Not too bad a walk especially with 2 sets of little legs with us.

On entry to the park we used the rest rooms and were walking towards Main Street at 08:57.

We soaked in the atmosphere on Main Street with the teeny tiny little caste at the end

We grabbed a couple of photo pass pictures as we went.

We headed straight through the castle with the plan of doing some of the rides in Fantasyland. As much as anything it was to get Benjamin warmed up for the bigger rides

On entering Fantasyland the kids were keen to start with Dumbo. It reminded me of our first day in DLP with Emma and Chloe.

I can't recall exactly what I did with Genie + this morning but you can rest assured that whatever rides we went on that had a LL we used them.

The kids were in good spirits and looking forward to the day ahead. I don't remember there being much of a queue for Dumbo but it certainly wasn't a walk on.

Sally headed on with Benjamin followed by Emma and I which tended to be the general way we did things.

After Dumbo we walked over and did the Carousel.

Pretty much no queue, as you would expect, and it was time to head over to Autopia for first LL. We never got round to doing this on our last Florida trip. The kids obviously wanted to drive... once they were reassured multiple times that they couldn't crash or get lost

The kids really enjoyed it. I did the foot pedal whilst Emma steered as she couldn't reach the pedal easily. Towards the end Sally disgraced herself by ramming Emma and I a few times... such a child but Benjamin thought it was great.

We sat down for some drinks in Tomorrowland and I too the kids off to the rest rooms. We pretty much exclusively used mobile order in the parks which worked very well for us.

We took a stroll to our next LL which was for Buzz.

I can't actually remember the scores but we'll call it a win for me ... really don't think that's true but hey ho. The kids enjoyed it. Used the screens at the end where they email you the photographs but they came out really poor quality. Shem there's not a photopass option.

When we came out the kids saw Woody passing through so took the opportunity to meet him.

Next up was something the kids had been talking about, especially Emma, ever since Florida and was pretty much the thing they were looking forward to most!... the dreaded Small World.

The kids loved it and were singing most of the way round. I was ready to jump overboard to get away from it!

We went headed over the Tea cups next. It was about 11:30 by now.

I think I got carried away on this so we all came off a bit dizzy!

The kids managed to meet up with Pinnochio briefly as we walked.

Whilst Sally and Emma visited a rest room Emma managed to grab Merida's attention for a quick chat and phtoto.

We headed onto Storybook now. The queue for this turned out to be about 30-40 minutes. Benjamin got a bit fed up in the queue but we got there in the end.

Benjamin was very dubious about going into the whale's mouth but finally realised it wasn't scary when we got there.

It was soon time to head for our next LL. Emma wasn't tall enough to go on this when we last went to Florida, so she was really looking forward to it. Benjamin wasn't so sure because she didn't want to get wet.
We had a few minutes to kill before our LL opened so the kids rest their legs and had a snack.

Obviously we had a log to ourselves. Sally soon grabbed the back and took Benjamin with her. I decided to be really brave and push Emma in front of me to the front so i'd have a shield

I do love the water rides and this was no exception. The wait was pretty short with LL. There were plenty of scream and gasps before we even got to the final drop.
I pulled Emma nice and tight to me She was definitely the wettest!

I was pretty wet too but Benjamin and Sally got off pretty lightly really.

It was just before 13:00 now and we soon had our reservation at Trader Sam's. It was handy that it was a bit of a walk as it gave us time to dry off. We arrived at The Disneyland Hotel about 13:20 for our reservation.

The hotel pool doesn't look the most relaxing place to be at the moment.

We checked in at the podium for Trader Sam's. They were taking telephone numbers so that they could text you when your table as ready. Unfortunately, they said they wouldn't be able to text us as we didn't have a US number (NBC Grill at Universal managed it just fine a few days ago). There were a few chairs around to wait on but these were all occupied so we perched ourselves on a wall to wait whilst periodically checking that we hadn't been missed. We waited just over 30 minutes past our reservation time but I have to say it did feel longer.

We headed in at 13:50. It was nice to see Trader Sam's as we didn't have the opportunity at WDW due to kids not being allowed.

We just ordered some drinks and some sweet potato fries for Sally and the kids had some tenders and fries.

The cocktail was nice but I was a bit underwhelmed with Trader Sam's. The foot was pretty much cold, the service was slow and not particularly friendly. The lights and sounds etc when certain cocktails we ordered were cool but overall it was a bit disappointing. Benjamin was out like a light pretty much as soon as we sat down so slept though out lunch

We headed out back towards the hotel just before 15:00. We wanted to get back, get settled in our room and transfer our luggage from the car.

Emma wanted an ice cream on the way back so we stopped in at 7/11. Benjamin decided chicken wings were the way forward having missed lunch.

By about 15:45 we had grabbed our luggage and go to our room.

The view from our balcony.

After a freshen up we took the stroll back over into DL.

Back through bag check we went with the usual friendly reminder that there was no smoking in Disneyland every time I emptied my pockets on the way in.

Back up Main Street and we had ticked Astro Orbiter off the list by just after 18:30.

We headed over for space mountain with a LL as both the kids were feeling pretty brave by now.

We were all starting to get a bit peckish by now so stopped for some food. The kids obviously wanted their usual and Sally and I decided on getting a burger. It was pretty good actually.

Once we had refueled we headed for our next LL at Big Thunder Mountain.

The kids loved the wildest ride in the wilderness and it was lovely to finally be back and enjoying these with both the kids big enough to ride with us.

It was 20:00 by now and we headed to another LL with our first ever visit to Galaxy's Edge. We had Florid plans in 2020 and 2021 that were both cancelled due to Covid. We are not Star Wars fans but were looking forward to finally seeing it.

We headed onto Smugglers Run. Emma and I were pilots with Sally and Benjamin gunners.

Benjamin loved this one because he enjoyed pressing the buttons!

After a little stroll around we headed out. We grabbed another LL on our way but time was ticking on now on what had been another very long day for the kids. On our way out our path got closed off to allow the Electrical Parade to pass through. It worked out fairly well as we got to see most of the parade pass without having to plot up for it.

We headed into Star Tours at 21:00. This was another frist for us having missed it in WDW and it being down for a refurb last time we were in DLP.

This was a hit with all of us. Evry bit as good as Smugglers Run in my uneducated opinion

We headed out of the park and down a very congested Main Street just intime to see Mickey's Mix Magic.

We saw the fireworks as we were heading out. Benjamin's legs had had it for the day which is no real surprise.

We did the stroll back along towards our hotel. Sally took it in turns to carry Benjamin whilst Emma was a little trooper. She fancied a snack by the time we got back to 7/11

We all collapsed into bed tonight after what was a really successful first day here. We had walked well in excess of 10 miles today so no wonder the kids were tired at the end.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress

Edited at 01:36 PM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 22, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

What a busy first day at DL 🙊I love how itís so different from DW, Small World looks very unusual from outside & the size of the Castle, looks like a miniature 🤣🤣
Those sweet potato fries looked nice shame the meal wasnít that good
Great view from the hotel room
Galaxy Edge is cool especially at night & I love the Electric Parade too 🤩
Yet again your kids were Superstars

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 22, 01:53 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Wow what a long fun filled day. Your kids did so well to pack so much in. Lovely photos. Brought back many happy memories seeing the electrical parade. Hotel looks lovely and what a great view. Donít know how you all keep going for so long each day. Certainly make the most of each day. Thanks for sharing a lovely day.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 22, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
What a busy first day at DL 🙊I love how itís so different from DW, Small World looks very unusual from outside & the size of the Castle, looks like a miniature 🤣🤣
Those sweet potato fries looked nice shame the meal wasnít that good
Great view from the hotel room
Galaxy Edge is cool especially at night & I love the Electric Parade too 🤩
Yet again your kids were Superstars
We done really well today and got loads done. It would not have been possible without genie+ though.
Small world really reminded us of the DLP one from outside and it was nice that there is the touch of lots of little Disney characters in this one.
I know this is the original castle but you canít help be a little underwhelmed with the size of it compared to Orlando and Paris 😂
We were pleased to have a view over Disney from the hotel.
We were lucky to catch the electrical parade but accident though!

Edited at 02:33 PM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 22, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Wow what a long fun filled day. Your kids did so well to pack so much in. Lovely photos. Brought back many happy memories seeing the electrical parade. Hotel looks lovely and what a great view. Donít know how you all keep going for so long each day. Certainly make the most of each day. Thanks for sharing a lovely day.
It really was another busy day. In fact the whole holiday was pretty non stop. The kids were superstars being able to keep up for so much of it. My feet were crucified and my legs aches so they did so well!
Old 29 Sep 22, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Unless you are a local and have a Magic Key Genie+ really is a necessity for a short once off visit. People just need to build it into their budget now, just like they do for food, merchandise etc.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 22, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Unless you are a local and have a Magic Key Genie+ really is a necessity for a short once off visit. People just need to build it into their budget now, just like they do for food, merchandise etc.
I couldnít agree more. I think if budget is a struggle then DCA is just about doable without Genie +. DLÖÖ forget it. It was rammed and I think actually got busier and busier as our trip went on. I think our queueing limits were quite low and without Genie + I think would have just given it up.
Old 18 Oct 22, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Fabulous day at Disney you managed to get on loads of rides. Shame Trader Samís wasnít the best especially after the wait.
Hotel looks nice, great view from the balcony.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 23, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
A very busy 1st Disneyland day.
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List