Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 22 Feb 23, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
florida 1877
Excited about Disney

Please explain how do I set up a VPN?

Hi all I need to speak direct with Disney to set up the DAS for my son. Everyone says you need to set up a vpn but I donít understand how I am meant to do this? Is it a simple thing to do? If someone could point me in the right direction it would be really helpful! Many Thanks 😊
florida 1877 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 23, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I don't fully understand what VPNs can do apart from "hiding" where you are located. Having seen it recommended on here a few times I recently downloaded Tunnel Bear.

tunnelbear/

Just select USA and you can view American sites which you can't access here due to GDPR. I use it to access some restaurants, CVS and Publix but as I said a VPN probably does more than I can understand.

Mick
Old 22 Feb 23, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
florida 1877
Excited about Disney

Thank you mick
florida 1877 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 23, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Just to add what Mick saidÖyou only get so much for free..so donít forget to disconnect when you are done. 😀

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, May 2024, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 23, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Eeyore rocks View Post
Just to add what Mick saidÖyou only get so much for free..so donít forget to disconnect when you are done. 😀

First time that I used it I did forget to disconnect and I couldn't get on the DIBB.

Mick
Old 22 Feb 23, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

I downloaded Windscribe from play store or Apple Store. on my iPad.
Created an account like anything else.(username password) confirm it on email sent.
You get 10gb worth of information thru the app free per month. Plenty for browsing.
When you open the app. Sign in. you see a list of countries and locations you can tick box next the location you want the internet to think your in.
Just tick one and then press the big on button thatís located on screen.
This will then give the impression you are surfing the internet from the country you chose.
So if Iím wanting to give the impression Iím in the USA.
I open app.
Select an usa location
Press the on button so it turns green and then come out the app.
I then open any browser or other app and the website thinks Iím in the USA.
Remember to go back into Windscribe app and turn button off so you donít waste the 10gb of data.
Itís totally free and works great for Disney and universal websites usa.

Edited at 09:40 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 23, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Do they ask you when applying if you are in the us?
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 23, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

Agree windscribe is a good free one, also award vpn, download it, then you log on to their website and it gives you a code which lasts 6 hours, when runs out simply repeat process of going on website, donít forget to set to USA and switch off after use, Bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 23, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Can someone tell me why the need to use a VPN in the first place please? What exactly does it do for you? Does it effect the security you already have on your laptop/tablet/phone? Is it different yo using a Proxy server?
I know nothing about either but j know DH is on a forum in the USA & sometimes can't get into post as he is outside the USA !

Edited at 09:49 AM.
THE WIZARD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 23, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Can someone tell me why the need to use a VPN in the first place please? What exactly does it do for you? Does it effect the security you already have on your laptop/tablet/phone? Is it different yo using a Proxy server?
I know nothing about either but j know DH is on a forum in the USA & sometimes can't get into post as he is outside the USA !
This is a very simple thought from a 77 year old technical thickie - and I'm sure there will be better replies and hopefully not too patronising, This is not a political post PLEASE.

The EU introduced the General Data Protection Regulations which basically meant that any web site accessible from the EU had to comply. We kept GDPR after Brexit

Lots of USA web sites choose not to comply. Orlando Sentinel, Publix, CVS, Bob Evans to name a few.

A VPN allows you to "pretend" you're in the USA (and other places)

Mick

PS Just to show how little I know - it could be the same as a proxy server

Edited at 11:27 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List