Notices
Intro's and Welcomes Introduce yourself and be welcomed into our community.

Old 25 Apr 23, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
kevpuk
Being a bit Goofy

Kinda n00b

Hi All,

Just booked up for 14 days in Orlando from late July, with wifety and our 2 teenagers. Last time there was 20yrs ago, so going to be quite a change, I imagine!

We are flying Virgin Economy Delight, staying at Signia by Hilton, have 14 days Disney/Universal combo tickets, Kennedy Space tickets and a 'standard SUV' booked through Alamo.

I have spent a fair bit of time reading-up on things to consider, and think we are in a good place but this community seems to be the de facto knowledge resource, so here I am

Any hints, tips, thoughts, whatevers welcome, and I hope to be able to return the favour to other users once we are back.

kevpuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 23, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It sounds great and yes, plenty has changed.

I am guessing that the biggest challenge for you (and I don’t do Disney), will be getting your head around Genie Plus.

Prices have gone through the roof and whilst I don’t know your budget, you may well look to have many more meals off site than before.

Also, you may be very surprised at how LBV has grown, imho better for eating now than on IDrive.

I would love to see a trip report upon your return, directly comparing your experiences of 20 years ago with those on your forthcoming vacation.
That would be absolutely fascinating as many of us go rather regularly and thus have had a gradual adaptation, rather than a 20 year gap between visits. You will pick up better on how much things have changed!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 23, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
kevpuk
Being a bit Goofy

Thanks ^^^^^

Back in 2003, relatively recently married and with no kids, we stayed in a Marriott resort that my parents had access to via some timeshare week swap or similar - we just needed to get ourselves flights to join them! This time, full planning has landed on my shoulders, and it has been a mixed bag of fun, yikes and ouch!

Two teenage daughters will mean more mall time this visit, not many 'kids' meals and a tonne of other opportunities to pass money to people... We haven't necessarily worked to a budget, but probably should. What is left to pay for is food n' drink and spending money. Not really got a plan, but will use a Nationwide Flex Plus (visa debit) as it is totally fee free... and credit card (not yet sure which one, new or current) as backup etc.
kevpuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 23, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kevpuk View Post
Thanks ^^^^^

Back in 2003, relatively recently married and with no kids, we stayed in a Marriott resort that my parents had access to via some timeshare week swap or similar - we just needed to get ourselves flights to join them! This time, full planning has landed on my shoulders, and it has been a mixed bag of fun, yikes and ouch!

Two teenage daughters will mean more mall time this visit, not many 'kids' meals and a tonne of other opportunities to pass money to people... We haven't necessarily worked to a budget, but probably should. What is left to pay for is food n' drink and spending money. Not really got a plan, but will use a Nationwide Flex Plus (visa debit) as it is totally fee free... and credit card (not yet sure which one, new or current) as backup etc.
I think that the thing you will notice a lot is the lack of value for money in any food or drink offered within parks or in areas associated with them, when compared with the numerous restaurants on IDrive and LBV. To some this does not matter, but it would matter a great deal to me, whether a pauper or millionaire.

The parks are still great fun, but you will find that whilst you could ‘ad Lib’ practically everything in 2003, the planning of advance ride selecting in Disney through Genie Plus may well absolutely drain you. It is most certainly not for me and a major reason why I no longer even enter their parks.

Universal is different in that you may investigate a single night in one of the three ‘Premium’ hotels in order to get two full days of XPress pass. In our case, we always look to spend a first night in a ‘cheap and cheerful’ before moving into a Universal at 0700 the next morning. We then move to our primary accommodation after our second day at Universal… picking up our hire car at that time.
In this way, we save on two nights of double booking Hotels, 3 days of parking and 3 days of car hire.

Just a thought for you all!

Best ticket of all imho for your grouping? A Discovery Cove ultimate non swim. No point now as you have more than enough tickets for 14 days… maybe next time! 😄

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 02:55 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 23, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Carrotcruncher
Excited about Disney

welcome and enjoy your trip
WDW - All Star Movies 2022
WDW - Drury Plaza Disney Springs 2023
Carrotcruncher is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 23, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
simon
VIP Dibber

simon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Welcome to the Dibb , enjoy your planning 👍
simon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List