Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 30 Jul 23, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Greetings from the West Coast - Introducing the plan

Introductions

This trip began to take shape last September when flights were released for July 2023.

We are a family of 5 and had a planned West Coast trip for August 2020 which didnt take place and was then replaced last August with a mutually decided Florida trip. Weve been visiting Florida as a family since 1997 when our eldest daughter was 18 months and have many happy memories as well as some nightmare situations!

This trip was planned for myself, Jess, my husband, Alex and our sixteen year old daughter Mone to take place after shed sat her GCSEs. This allowed us to travel earlier than we usually would which meant I could bag some bargain priced flights. Prior to booking I trawled the exam boards for dates of proposed exams and in the end went by the schools previous dates for prom.

I booked flights from London Heathrow to San Francisco travelling on Tuesday July 11th returning from Los Angeles on Thursday July 27th.

In November 2023 we began discussing how we would spend our time away. We had initially been planning a road trip but the idea of visiting Hawaii resurfaced as its a place Id always wanted to visit. As a child I had a friend who had relatives that lived there and when our big kids were small we had deliberated visiting many times. Mone caught wind of these discussions and said shed really like to go and so I started looking for flight prices which were going up constantly and so in January 2024 I booked flights with Hawaiian Airlines from San Francisco to Honolulu travelling on July 14th and returning to Los Angeles on July 20th.

At this point we started looking for hotels and thought wed possibly like a stay at Aulani and so I checked the DVC rental sites but Aulani was fully booked. However, we saw that it was available for a cash booking on a couple of websites and so we bit the bullet and booked for our last two nights through Travel Republic as they were coming in with the best price.

Our next hotel booking was for our stay in San Francisco and we decided on the Hotel Del Sol. This was booked in for our first three nights.

We then after much deliberation booked the Coconut Hotel in Waikiki for our first four nights in Oahu. Id really struggled to find up to date information on this hotel but had read a couple of trip reports a few years ago.

Our Los Angeles hotels were booked last, and our son decided he would join us for our last week as had never been to California. We booked three nights at the Sheraton Universal and four nights at at the Howard Johnson in Anaheim. Wed previously stayed at the Hilton but had stayed at the HoJo beforehand and knew this would be a squash and a squeeze but we were cool with it!

Car Hire was booked last and prices were initially sky high but we had anticipated that they would drop nearer the time. We decided against a car in San Francisco but had one throughout the rest of the trip. We booked with US rental cars whom weve used many times previously as they were the best prices this year and the bookings were with Dollar.

Edited at 06:22 AM. Reason: Typo
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 23, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
vegboatride
Excited about Disney

Im looking forward to reading along, Im thinking about a Disneyland/Aulani trip in 2025 so very interested to see what you do. Hope you all have a fabulous time
vegboatride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 23, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Looking forward to following along, we are doing a west coast/Hawaii trip next year with our last 2 night (in Hawaii) at Aulani
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 23, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by vegboatride View Post
Im looking forward to reading along, Im thinking about a Disneyland/Aulani trip in 2025 so very interested to see what you do. Hope you all have a fabulous time
Thank you, Im hoping its an interesting read. We had a great time.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 23, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
Looking forward to following along, we are doing a west coast/Hawaii trip next year with our last 2 night (in Hawaii) at Aulani
Weve had the best time and were very lucky to take advantage of the earlier get away this year.
Old 30 Jul 23, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Following along as we are going to San Francisco and Los Angeles in September.
Old 30 Jul 23, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
Following along as we are going to San Francisco and Los Angeles in September.
Ah lovely, I do believe the best weather in San Francisco is September October time. Youll have a great time as both have lots to see and do.