Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Nov 14, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post

If you want to see Orcas in a natural environment - head to Norway etc and take a whale watching trip.

If you want to see Orcas "performing" in an un-natural environment - head to Seaworld, clap at the "stunts" forced to do for fish treats.

Orcas are not on the endangered list so its not about conservation, mere entertainment.

Im not going to add any further comment as I now expect a rage of backlash. OP asked for opinion, just giving mine.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 14, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Originally Posted by justinw View Post
If you want to see Orcas in a natural environment - head to Norway etc and take a whale watching trip.
Please don't!

Unfortunately Whale/Dolphin Watching by boat is not a good thing.

Source: criticalzoologists/wh...ort_guide.html
It is a well-known fact among cetacean researchers that whale watching is dangerous, causes great stress and disturbance to whales and is in fact a highly unnatural act. Collision with whale-watching ships is one of the most serious threats to whales these days.
Also...

foxnews/world/2014/01...-coast-mexico/

And this PDF of a Study of Orcas...

Underwater noise of whale-watching boats
and potential effects on killer whales (Orcinus orca), based on an acoustic impact model

dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/255131.pdf

Underwater noise of whale-watching boats was recorded in the popular killer whale watching region of southern British Columbia and northwestern Washington State. A software sound propagation and impact assessment model was applied to estimate zones around whale-watching boats, where boat noise was audible to killer whales, where it interfered with their communication, where it caused behavioral avoidance and where it possibly caused hearing loss. Boat source levels ranged from 145 to 169dB re 1μPa @ 1m, increasing with speed. The noise of fast boats was modeled to be audible to killer whales over 16km, to mask killer whale calls over 14km, to elicit a behavioral response over 200m, and to cause a temporary threshold shift in hearing of 5dB over 450m. For boats cruising at slow speeds, the predicted ranges were 1km for audibility and masking, 50m for behavioral responses and 20m for TTS. Superposed noise levels of a number of boats circulating around or following the whales were close to the critical level assumed to cause a permanent hearing loss over prolonged exposure. These data are useful for whale- watching regulation. This study also gave lower estimates of killer whale call source levels of 105-124dB re 1μPa.
My personal opinion is that places like SeaWorld having a few captive Orcas is better than thousands of people taken in boats (also for profit) that disturb their natural behaviour in the wild.

You only have to visit a place like Boston to see how much of an industry Whale Watching is. Basically anywhere that has whales nearby will have a commercial industry based on tourist trips. Some are good and respectful. Some are just outright money makers.

If you are on a boat and a whale visits you by surprise then that is great. I really don't like commercial trips.

Apparently 13 million people per year go whale watching. 5.8 million visit SeaWorld Orlando per year.

bbc/news/magazine-14107381
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 14, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post

I said I wasnt going to post, but in light of SMAX post, amending my first line to delete.

To view Orcas at Seaworld only encourages future attendance, and thus remain in a captive environment. Best solution then, dont go to Seaworld IMHO.

(thanks SMAX)
Old 4 Nov 14, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
Please don't!

Unfortunately Whale/Dolphin Watching by boat is not a good thing.

Source: criticalzoologists/wh...ort_guide.html

Also...

foxnews/world/2014/01...-coast-mexico/

And this PDF of a Study of Orcas...

Underwater noise of whale-watching boats
and potential effects on killer whales (Orcinus orca), based on an acoustic impact model

dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/255131.pdf

My personal opinion is that places like SeaWorld having a few captive Orcas is better than thousands of people taken in boats (also for profit) that disturb their natural behaviour in the wild.

You only have to visit a place like Boston to see how much of an industry Whale Watching is. Basically anywhere that has whales nearby will have a commercial industry based on tourist trips. Some are good and respectful. Some are just outright money makers.

If you are on a boat and a whale visits you by surprise then that is great. I really don't like commercial trips.

Apparently 13 million people per year go whale watching. 5.8 million visit SeaWorld Orlando per year.

bbc/news/magazine-14107381
That's really interesting, thanks. I think things like this demonstrate that it's really not as black and white as you might think. There's a temptation to humanise things, putting yourself in the place of the animal and think "what would I like", whereas in reality they aren't human, and it relies on scientific studies like those mentioned to really work out what is going on. I always found it interesting that the dolphins at Seaworld actually teach their young how to do the routines before the trainers even get in there (obviously a lot of what they are doing in the shows is natural behaviour anyway, just in a coordinated way).
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 14, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Macmac
Imagineer

Mobile

I can never see the controversy over the likes of Seaworld. I live in a society that exploits animals in many different ways. I eat meat from animals that are bred for the sole purpose of providing this meat. I am quite happy to tuck into a veal chop, and although some TV programmes may leave me feeling a little guilty about how the meat gets to my plate, this guilt will only ever last until the next meal time. So I cannot feel guilty about Killer whales or bottle nose dolphins or any other animal being exploited.

Parks such as Seaworld, Animal Kingdom, Busch Gardens and other zoos give the public the opportunity to get reasonably close to these animals, and long may they continue to do so. I much prefer to see these captive animals than to be harassing animals in the wild for entertainment.

Visit Seaworld, you will love it.
Macmac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 14, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox
Getting Excited

The only way to really know how you'll feel about SW is to visit and see for yourself. Personally I've seen blackfish and it hasn't put me off I still love SW and will continue to visit. I don't want to get into a big debate about blackfish but a lot of the people interviewed have expressed regret about the way they were portrayed in the film.
Redsox is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 14, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Scott family
Apprentice Imagineer

Scott family's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Martin044 View Post
Definitely go, if you want to get a better insight do the Behind the Scenes tour. Not only will you see what is on show to the general admission ticket holders but also detailed insight into the conservation and rescue aspects of Seaworld.

I too have seen Blackfish and cannot believe how one sided and biased it is.

I have been to Seaworld on every visit to Orlando and have made my mind up to continue doing so.
Completely agree with these comments
Old 4 Nov 14, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Martin044 View Post
Definitely go, if you want to get a better insight do the Behind the Scenes tour. Not only will you see what is on show to the general admission ticket holders but also detailed insight into the conservation and rescue aspects of Seaworld.

I too have seen Blackfish and cannot believe how one sided and biased it is.

I have been to Seaworld on every visit to Orlando and have made my mind up to continue doing so.
Also agree, we have also been to seaworld every time we have been to Florida. This year we spoke to a cast member about the turtles, she was very informative and told us how the turtles had been rescued and why. My children found it extremely interesting. Seaworld take part in lots of conservation projects and rescue many animals which would otherwise perish - it's not just about the orcas.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 14, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Agree with other comments... Go and you can make any judgement yourself.

It would be amazing seeing these captures in the wild, but this is the closest many people will get to see them.

I would say go for it.
Old 4 Nov 14, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We did it a few weeks back. Did I feel uneasy? Yes, but at the same time my kids learned so much! Same at AK. Unfortunately, captive animals are a by-product of an educational conservation company. And I doubt I will ever ever get within a couple of inches of a walrus in the wild, even if part of me was really sad it was so obviously bored I see SeaWorld as no different to any other zoo or wildlife facility. Life isn't all Free Willy.
Closed Thread