Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jul 15, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post

For first timers concerned that they won't enjoy Universal, I am sure you will. I prefer Universal to Disney. Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade and everything Harry Potter is fabulous and the rides are better than Disney.

I would never go in June, July or early August to be fair as the queues are horrendous everywhere.

Also find Universal tickets excellent value, only around £130 for an adult 14 day ticket.

Edit: I've also not paid for fast passes at Universal apart from at Halloween Horror Nights.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 15, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Davy Crockett
Imagineer

Davy Crockett's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You've had some fun times at Disney though anlygi - judging by some of your previous posts. Not all bad! Even if you didn't like their films until they bought Pixar. I think The Lion King, Aladdin & Beauty and the Beast were the major reason for Disney's film revival.
Old 9 Jul 15, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
heighho
VIP Dibber

Such a shame you didn't enjoy Universal or IOA. Many of the comments I have read even go as far as to say it's better than Disney - but I suppose that's a preference thing.

One thing that many people say, however, is that the queues are loooong and with no fastpass service like Disney (only the express pass tickets that you buy) it can make for a frustrating time. For this reason, we have carefully planned our Universal days and even bit the bullet and paid £300 to stop in the Royal Pacific for 2 nights which allows us early entry with express passes included. Far better value than paying for the express tickets on their own. I appreciate that this would have been more costly for yourself as you have children and we don't.

I sympathise with your experience but I would never write off going back. Take it as a learning and maybe plan those days in advance a little more so you are less frustrated.
heighho is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 15, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by heighho View Post
Such a shame you didn't enjoy Universal or IOA. Many of the comments I have read even go as far as to say it's better than Disney - but I suppose that's a preference thing.

One thing that many people say, however, is that the queues are loooong and with no fastpass service like Disney (only the express pass tickets that you buy) it can make for a frustrating time. For this reason, we have carefully planned our Universal days and even bit the bullet and paid £300 to stop in the Royal Pacific for 2 nights which allows us early entry with express passes included. Far better value than paying for the express tickets on their own. I appreciate that this would have been more costly for yourself as you have children and we don't.

I sympathise with your experience but I would never write off going back. Take it as a learning and maybe plan those days in advance a little more so you are less frustrated.
Although actually, as you pay for the room, and not per person, you could say it would be cheaper for them

We enjoy the Universal parks, but as with most people, that's because we stay on-site. However, I don't think I've ever seen queues of 2-3 hours (apart from the Potter rides when they first opened).

I think the original post is a valid one as all the reasons for not enjoying Universal have been listed. This means that other people can make an informed choice as to how they would tackle the parks if they decide to go.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 15, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
heighho
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bear-family View Post
We are due to go next November. Can anyone tell me what the universal parks are like then? We haven't visited them since 2007 and they were very quiet then. We've noticed the change in Disney over the years and how much more popular they've become. Is it the same for universal or can we expect a relatively chilled day?
Your best bet is to refer to the Busy Day Guide and Wait Times History to give you an idea. These have played a big part in our park and fast planning for when we go in August.
heighho is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 15, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
heighho
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
Although actually, as you pay for the room, and not per person, you could say it would be cheaper for them

We enjoy the Universal parks, but as with most people, that's because we stay on-site. However, I don't think I've ever seen queues of 2-3 hours (apart from the Potter rides when they first opened).

I think the original post is a valid one as all the reasons for not enjoying Universal have been listed. This means that other people can make an informed choice as to how they would tackle the parks if they decide to go.
Totally agree. We nearly didn't book the hotel and was going to endure it at one of the busiest times of year. In the end, we looked at how much we were spending and felt, in the grand scheme of things, £300 wasn't much to pay to make our experience more enjoyable. As you say, it's weighing up the pros and cons. I haven't been for 10 years and even with fastpass and early entry we're bracing ourselves for queues as we're going at one of the busiest times of the year. Inevitable I suppose.
Old 9 Jul 15, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Totally agree. We nearly didn't book the hotel and was going to endure it at one of the busiest times of year. In the end, we looked at how much we were spending and felt, in the grand scheme of things, £300 wasn't much to pay to make our experience more enjoyable. As you say, it's weighing up the pros and cons. I haven't been for 10 years and even with fastpass and early entry we're bracing ourselves for queues as we're going at one of the busiest times of the year. Inevitable I suppose.
You'll have an amazing time! We were there August last year, although we skipped Disney, and opted for an on-site stay at Universal (following a week at the beach) instead because we knew it was a busy time, and even though you can book 3 FPs at Disney, it doesn't compare to Unlimited Express Passes! It made it a completely different holiday - a lot more relaxing, and spontaneous. We are doing the same again this year and can't wait - we might even see you there
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 15, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had a similar experience in HS so Disney is no better IMO. Firstly you cannot compare the parks as they are very different and if you expect staff to run round with happy faces again you are wrong. ( ever been to Alton towers and see every one grinning and waving at you ... er no).
Last time we went the big rides had large queues so we took the decision to stay onsite this time. It's cost no more per person for the universal ticket and onsite stay to what the Disney ticket is.
You have obviously had a bad experience but you have to remember when U.S. Kids holidays are etc , it's the same as going anywhere here on a bank holiday.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 15, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
heighho
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
You'll have an amazing time! We were there August last year, although we skipped Disney, and opted for an on-site stay at Universal (following a week at the beach) instead because we knew it was a busy time, and even though you can book 3 FPs at Disney, it doesn't compare to Unlimited Express Passes! It made it a completely different holiday - a lot more relaxing, and spontaneous. We are doing the same again this year and can't wait - we might even see you there
It's ridiculous how excited I am. I'm a 33yo man and the DW and I have been having Disney and Universal DVD countdown for weeks.

Looking forward to unknowingly bumping into you
Old 9 Jul 15, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

It's ridiculous how excited I am. I'm a 33yo man and the DW and I have been having Disney and Universal DVD countdown for weeks.

Looking forward to unknowingly bumping into you
Which dates are you at RPR? We are there from 13th - 20th August You'll be able to spot us, there are several photos of us in the reports, however, chances are you'll hear us first
Closed Thread