Old 5 Dec 21, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
AJ86
Excited about Disney

Magic is Calling - Travel Day - November 2021

Index Here

Pre Travel Day here

Travel Day - 13th November 2021

I can’t believe today is here! After many failed attempts, various lockdowns, 100’s of videos of watching people enjoy Disney and 18 months we are on our way today!

Today is the same as before, I woke up at 5, but never sleep well when I know we have a flight to catch! Once the alarm has gone off at 630 we get up, have showers and head to breakfast.

At the moment Breakfast is served at the Holiday Inn next door, (literally 3 steps from our hotel). It’s a lovely spread, lots of hot and cold options. Given we will also have breakfast in the lounge, I just opt for a 2 course of a small cooked breakfast and a croissant and Nutella for the second course.

Back in the room we pack up our bits, thank the room for a lovely stay and check out.

It’s just a short drive to the long stay car park for terminal 3 and we find a spot near the bus stop and take the obligatory picture of where we parked. The bus doesn’t take long to come as we soon load up our cases and start a conversation with some lovely Virgin crew who will be on our flight.

On arrival to Terminal 3 we head to the Virgin/Delta area and are met with huge huge queues. People were getting irate shouting at the staff. It was no ones fault just that there was so many checks to be done and slowed everything down. I ask if we still have to queue if flying upper class and luckily they usher us through to the check in area. Our documents are checked by one of the agents. Which felt like the longest 2 minutes while it was all cross checked.

We headed up to security which was a breeze, no extra checks needed and through the maze of duty free. We wander round the shops and gaze at all the things we can’t buy. A short stroll brings us to the Virgin Upper Class lounge, which when checking in also had a shouty woman moaning about how it took 30 mins to check in, and how upset and distraught she was by the whole experience.

The lounge was super busy with the morning’s departures, we have a wander around, and out to the roof garden which was nice to view the planes for a little bit. Back in the lounge we find a table and order some drinks and food via the QR code at the table. They were really busy and probably short staffed but drinks took around 10 mins to reach us and food around 25 mins. We both have a sausage bap, some toast and a couple of Bellinis to wash them down.

You really loose track of time in the lounge and before we know it we see our flight boarding from Gate 1 which is only a 5-10 min walk from the lounge. We are soon on board G-VDOT, named Ruby Slipper a 5 year old A350, and looking at google the second one to be built!

We turn left! Yep first for us, into the Upper class cabin which is amazing, and we are soon settled into our seats, orange and champagne is offered round whilst they board the rest of the plane. We are held up for 20 mins whilst they load the last of the bags. We are pushing back soon enough and switch to the tail cam to see us soar into the sky.

Just after take off our meal orders are taken and I opt for the duck to start, pork for main and lemon dessert, it was served around an hour later, all super delicious, and nearly licked the plates clean.

What else to do after lunch but lay the bed flat and pop a film on!

Around 2 hours before landing our snacks are served, I pick the chicken burger which for plane food is lovely and popular as they run out after our row.

Little tip for those flying upper class, pick a seat near to the front of the cabin as these orders are taken first. Also if flying as a couple I’d recommend window seats, your meal and drinks service will be together. Those in the middle two seats will be served at different times as the crew make their way round. I wasn’t sure where to sit but 2 window seats were perfect, we were still able to talk to each other over the top of the seats and easy enough to stand and also have a chat. The A350 is a lovely plane, everything was new and modern.

Captain Jamie gets us in around 20 minutes early to a very wet Florida!

Being at the front we are let off first and greeted by an empty immigration hall, and we were done within 5 minutes. Bags followed about 10 minutes later and we were picking up the car with Budget by 5. So from landing to getting to the car park was around 45 mins.

I booked our car with Andy at DFCH with Budget and we were given a white Toyota something with 6000 miles on it. After many reminders from my wife, I remember what side of the road to drive on and we follow our sat nav to our home for the next 9 nights.

We are staying at the Home2 Suites Orlando International Drive South. It is next door to the Vineland outlet mall, near opposite to Cheesecake Factory and Publixs. Our room is on the ground floor with a glamours view of the car park! We arrive around 6 to the hotel and considering we left the plane around 4.30 that’s not bad going!

I unpack the cases, or shall we say throw them into various piles and we both have a shower to freshen up. We could have easily sat in the bed and probably fallen asleep but where is the fun in that! Considering we are next door to the outlet mall it would be rude not to visit the Disney character warehouse. As already reported there aren't great deals to be had, a lot of things had been discounted by $2-5. And we even saw a pencil case for $14 which was on the uk shop Disney website for £3! We have a stroll around some of the other stores but will take a proper look later in the week.

Next we walk back to the hotel grab the car and head to publix to grab a case of water and snacks for the room, only real basics as we will probably head to Walmart tomorrow. From Publix we head to the Cheesecake Factory, we had made a booking on Yelp before coming so we avoided the wait and we’re sat down within 5 minutes.

The Menu is as extensive as ever and I have the fried chicken sandwich and my wife has the chicken avocado club. We probably manage to eat around half before getting full and then order cheesecake to go, Oreo for wifey and Snickers for me.

We make the short drive back to the hotel and literally crash into bed!

I do think flying upper had helped us not feel so tired, as before we were in bed by 8, and tonight we had managed until 10pm. So good going!

Probably one of my best travel days ever!

Day 1

Edited at 08:46 PM.
AJ86 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AJ86 View Post
Index Here

Pre Travel Day here

Travel Day - 13th November 2021

I can’t believe today is here! After many failed attempts, various lockdowns, 100’s of videos of watching people enjoy Disney and 18 months we are on our way today!

Today is the same as before, I woke up at 5, but never sleep well when I know we have a flight to catch! Once the alarm has gone off at 630 we get up, have showers and head to breakfast.

At the moment Breakfast is served at the Holiday Inn next door, (literally 3 steps from our hotel). It’s a lovely spread, lots of hot and cold options. Given we will also have breakfast in the lounge, I just opt for a 2 course of a small cooked breakfast and a croissant and Nutella for the second course.

Back in the room we pack up our bits, thank the room for a lovely stay and check out.

It’s just a short drive to the long stay car park for terminal 3 and we find a spot near the bus stop and take the obligatory picture of where we parked. The bus doesn’t take long to come as we soon load up our cases and start a conversation with some lovely Virgin crew who will be on our flight.

On arrival to Terminal 3 we head to the Virgin/Delta area and are met with huge huge queues. People were getting irate shouting at the staff. It was no ones fault just that there was so many checks to be done and slowed everything down. I ask if we still have to queue if flying upper class and luckily they usher us through to the check in area. Our documents are checked by one of the agents. Which felt like the longest 2 minutes while it was all cross checked.

We headed up to security which was a breeze, no extra checks needed and through the maze of duty free. We wander round the shops and gaze at all the things we can’t buy. A short stroll brings us to the Virgin Upper Class lounge, which when checking in also had a shouty woman moaning about how it took 30 mins to check in, and how upset and distraught she was by the whole experience.

The lounge was super busy with the morning’s departures, we have a wander around, and out to the roof garden which was nice to view the planes for a little bit. Back in the lounge we find a table and order some drinks and food via the QR code at the table. They were really busy and probably short staffed but drinks took around 10 mins to reach us and food around 25 mins. We both have a sausage bap, some toast and a couple of Bellinis to wash them down.

You really loose track of time in the lounge and before we know it we see our flight boarding from Gate 1 which is only a 5-10 min walk from the lounge. We are soon on board G-VDOT, named Ruby Slipper a 5 year old A350, and looking at google the second one to be built!

We turn left! Yep first for us, into the Upper class cabin which is amazing, and we are soon settled into our seats, orange and champagne is offered round whilst they board the rest of the plane. We are held up for 20 mins whilst they load the last of the bags. We are pushing back soon enough and switch to the tail cam to see us soar into the sky.

Just after take off our meal orders are taken and I opt for the duck to start, pork for main and lemon dessert, it was served around an hour later, all super delicious, and nearly licked the plates clean.

What else to do after lunch but lay the bed flat and pop a film on!

Around 2 hours before landing our snacks are served, I pick the chicken burger which for plane food is lovely and popular as they run out after our row.

Little tip for those flying upper class, pick a seat near to the front of the cabin as these orders are taken first. Also if flying as a couple I’d recommend window seats, your meal and drinks service will be together. Those in the middle two seats will be served at different times as the crew make their way round. I wasn’t sure where to sit but 2 window seats were perfect, we were still able to talk to each other over the top of the seats and easy enough to stand and also have a chat. The A350 is a lovely plane, everything was new and modern.

Captain Jamie gets us in around 20 minutes early to a very wet Florida!

Being at the front we are let off first and greeted by an empty immigration hall, and we were done within 5 minutes. Bags followed about 10 minutes later and we were picking up the car with Budget by 5. So from landing to getting to the car park was around 45 mins.

I booked our car with Andy at DFCH with Budget and we were given a white Toyota something with 6000 miles on it. After many reminders from my wife, I remember what side of the road to drive on and we follow our sat nav to our home for the next 9 nights.

We are staying at the Home2 Suites Orlando International Drive South. It is next door to the Vineland outlet mall, near opposite to Cheesecake Factory and Publixs. Our room is on the ground floor with a glamours view of the car park! We arrive around 6 to the hotel and considering we left the plane around 4.30 that’s not bad going!

I unpack the cases, or shall we say throw them into various piles and we both have a shower to freshen up. We could have easily sat in the bed and probably fallen asleep but where is the fun in that! Considering we are next door to the outlet mall it would be rude not to visit the Disney character warehouse. As already reported there aren't great deals to be had, a lot of things had been discounted by $2-5. And we even saw a pencil case for $14 which was on the uk shop Disney website for £3! We have a stroll around some of the other stores but will take a proper look later in the week.

Next we walk back to the hotel grab the car and head to publix to grab a case of water and snacks for the room, only real basics as we will probably head to Walmart tomorrow. From Publix we head to the Cheesecake Factory, we had made a booking on Yelp before coming so we avoided the wait and we’re sat down within 5 minutes.

The Menu is as extensive as ever and I have the fried chicken sandwich and my wife has the chicken avocado club. We probably manage to eat around half before getting full and then order cheesecake to go, Oreo for wifey and Snickers for me.

We make the short drive back to the hotel and literally crash into bed!

I do think flying upper had helped us not feel so tired, as before we were in bed by 8, and tonight we had managed until 10pm. So good going!

Probably one of my best travel days ever!

Day 1 Coming soon
Cheesecake Factory on arrival day
How wonderful 🙊😋

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
AJ86
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Cheesecake Factory on arrival day
How wonderful 🙊😋
I know! Its would be rude not to staying so close and this new location is so convenient.
AJ86 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Sounds like a great travel day! Good choice of location for the homewood suites there’s a lot of new shops and restaurants in that area now, can’t beat a bit of Cheesecake Factory, since I couldn’t get away last week to Orlando I been working my way thru the chessecake factory frozen cheesecakes you get at Costco but sadly not quite same as being there, looking forward to th3 next TR
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Great travel day.
Old 7 Dec 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Glad youre enjoying mate
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 21, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

what a smooth travel day! Glad you enjoyed your first upper experience. Jealous of your plane we have the 300 in May (at the moment!). Off to read the rest
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 21, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

What a fab travel day, seems like everything went so smoothly for you X
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 21, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disney73
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

So great to be reading trip reports again.
I have looked at staying at the home 2 suites, be interesting to see what your thoughts on it are.
disney73 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I love your matching suitcases. I'm looking forward to reading all about your trip.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List