Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jan 22, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mizza40
Helping Minnie

Thomas Cook

Hi there has anyone booked with the relaunched Thomas Cook? Thinking of booking for July as their flight/Hotel deal is a really good price. This is for tui flights to mlb but its cheaper than booking through Tui.
Mizza40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
grumpybri
VIP Dibber

Well spotted. Did not know Thomas Cook was back in the game.
Will keep an eye on prices with them.
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by grumpybri View Post
Well spotted. Did not know Thomas Cook was back in the game.
Will keep an eye on prices with them.
They aren't really back in the game.

FOSUN - a Chinese investment company - was one of the major investors in TC (and everyone's hopes for a bailout).

When they refused to put in any extra money the company went pop, but not before they had transferred the ownership of the brand name out of the TC company and into their holding company. (As the name has value as seen by your post).

So by booking with TC you aren't being patriotic or being loyal to that company that gave you lots of holidays in the past, you are instead giving your cash to the company that ultimately ran them into the ground and walked away allowing them to fold.

Spend your money how you want, but I won't be giving them a penny!
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mizza40
Helping Minnie

Ah ok! To be honest just looking for a decent price for the family whoever it is with
Mizza40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 123 View Post

FOSUN - a Chinese investment company - was one of the major investors in TC (and everyone's hopes for a bailout).

When they refused to put in any extra money the company went pop, but not before they had transferred the ownership of the brand name out of the TC company and into their holding company. (As the name has value as seen by your post).

So by booking with TC you aren't being patriotic or being loyal to that company that gave you lots of holidays in the past, you are instead giving your cash to the company that ultimately ran them into the ground and walked away allowing them to fold.

Exactly this, its unfortunate that most people wont realise this and use them purely because of the name.
Egon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Remember our Government also refused to bail them out too, so why should Fosun have done it if the gov wouldn’t

Read this for more info and analysis

bbc/news/business-49761464

They are ABTA and ATOL protected

Would I book with them? Possibly, if the price was right. But I wouldn’t be buying because of the Thomas Cook name, as it now means nothing.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mizza40
Helping Minnie

Basically I'm only interested as the price is good for the times I'm looking. I would have booked with tui but they are coming out pretty expensive
Old 2 Jan 22, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mizza40 View Post
Basically I'm only interested as the price is good for the times I'm looking. I would have booked with tui but they are coming out pretty expensive
As do most people. I really don't like virgin but if they were cheaper I'd book, unfortunately my wallet and my principles are two separate entities 😁
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 123 View Post

Just to correct some factual inaccuracies here, Fosun did not transfer the brand name out of the company before TC went under. Fosun agreed to acquire various brand assets of TC about 6 weeks after it collapsed, for around £11m.

Neither did Fosun refuse to put any extra money in. When TC was trying to put together rescue funds in the last days, Fosun had committed a large amount to that. What they were not prepared to do was put in yet more when the company found itself caught between banks, hedge funds and insurers, resulting in the demand for an additional £200m on top of the original rescue package at the last minute, and which the UK government refused help with.

It’s a bit much to suggest Fosun ran TC into the ground, it was a big shareholder but not the management. The reasons for TC’s collapse are varied and complex, and many of them predate Fosun’s investment (which went up in smoke when the company collapsed).

People are free to dislike the new TC based on its ownership if they wish, but best to have the facts straight. FWIW, the new TC in the UK has a number of ex-old TC people among its staff, and regardless of ownership it is creating jobs in the UK, albeit far fewer than the old company had. It’s an asset-light (doesn’t own airline or hotels) online tour operator now, air packages bought from them will be ATOL-protected. And no, I do not have any vested interest in Fosun or TC.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Remember our Government also refused to bail them out too, so why should Fosun have done it if the gov wouldn’t

Read this for more info and analysis

bbc/news/business-49761464

They are ABTA and ATOL protected

Would I book with them? Possibly, if the price was right. But I wouldn’t be buying because of the Thomas Cook name, as it now means nothing.
Well to put it simply, the UK government owned 0% of TC, and FOSUN owned 29.9%.

So if the UK gov had put 1bn in (which is what was needed at least) FOSUN would have benefited by 300m.

TC wasn't profitable, and due to some stupid mergers in the past, never would be. The UK gov did exactly the right thing by refusing to give a Chinese mega-corp £300m for nothing
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List