Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Nov 21, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Anyone deal with Shipping at their place of work?

Hi all

I've been offered (given! ) a promotion at work. Great money BUT - It involves taking charge of all things shipping at our medium sized microelectronics company, part of a multi-national company but who we have very little day to day dealings with on these things...

I've been running this dept since the previous person went on long term sick and has left so was given little to no training and have had to learn it myself (as well as doing my other role there, I'm in charge of incoming goods).

I was wondering if anyone had any sites or links to anything that could increase my knowledge? We use UPS, FEDEX, DHL etc

It's the detailed commodity HS codes and such I struggle a bit with and export import licences which we've not had before but now need. Minefield.

They obviously think I'm a quick learner and capable of running it alongside my other role there but wonder if anyone had any advice?
THANK you for any pointers! They say they will support any learning/courses I want to do but cannot suggest /arrange any
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Congratulations on the new role. You could check with your local Chamber of Commerce - they should have some training/material available.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I am a material controller for an aerospace company and deal with commercial invoices and imports/exports. I had all of my training in house though so can’t be of any help with training courses but feel free to ask any questions and I will answer if I can!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Are you able to say what goods are incoming?
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 21, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Hi
Congrats on your promotion!

I work for a freight forwarder so we can offer import and export services and cover all modes of transport air, road, sea and rail.

I don’t know of any courses you could go on but .gov.uk shows all HS codes and if there is anything else please feel free to ask

WDW Visited in 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013
Disneymaddaddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Can't help sorry but wanted to congratulate you on your promotion
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
Congratulations on the new role. You could check with your local Chamber of Commerce - they should have some training/material available.
Thank you! I'll contact them!

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
I am a material controller for an aerospace company and deal with commercial invoices and imports/exports. I had all of my training in house though so can’t be of any help with training courses but feel free to ask any questions and I will answer if I can!

Thank you SO much, I'm also a Material Controller and our company do have some Space applications. As you can see, my countdown is imminent! So, would it be Ok if I contact you after I get back, prob after Xmas if I have any questions you might shed light on?

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
Are you able to say what goods are incoming?
Hi, its mainly LEDs, silicon wafers, die and other components

Originally Posted by Disneymaddaddy View Post
Hi
Congrats on your promotion!

I work for a freight forwarder so we can offer import and export services and cover all modes of transport air, road, sea and rail.

I don’t know of any courses you could go on but .gov.uk shows all HS codes and if there is anything else please feel free to ask
Thank you! Yes I do use that site but it isn't the easiest to pin down a code I find Thank you so much! Please can I ask you after my upcoming Florida trip? My mind is in wind-down mode right now!

Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
Can't help sorry but wanted to congratulate you on your promotion
Awww THANK you SO much!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Yes no problem, have an amazing trip! We are off on Xmas day ourselves but feel free to message me and if I can help I will be happy to!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
Yes no problem, have an amazing trip! We are off on Xmas day ourselves but feel free to message me and if I can help I will be happy to!
Oh, so I see!

Have an AMAZING time!
Old 21 Nov 21, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I sort of do. If I’m honest, I’ve left it up to the warehouse to log all the codes.
I request them for all commercial invoices and then steer clear 😬
Brexit has a lot to answer for. Shipping to Europe used to be so easy, now we need commodity codes, personal indentifocation numbers, EORIs and don’t get me started on those who seem to have missed the memo that the UK has left the EU. Have they been living under a rock?
Importing is equally as fun.

Good luck with the promotion!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List