Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 7 Jan 22, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Pre-travel day: Part 2

Our earlier dining reconnaissance to T5 proved fruitful as we spotted a new restaurant called Kanishka Kitchen. It has ceiling to floor windows all the way across the front so we could easily see inside and we thought it looked really fresh and inviting. We were both keen to give it a go and so returned later.

It is an Indian restaurant and when we walked in the aroma of the cooking spice was really very strong. I noticed the menu had a breakfast section which I thought would be nice to try, the traditional English breakfast was about £12 if I remember correctly. The lunch / dinner options included a selection of curry’s and stir fries as well as Indian spiced up versions of dishes like pizza, burgers and wraps with salad.

I decided to have the aubergine and tofu wrap which is served with side salad, Nev had the lamb keema burger with Marsala fries and we shared a portion of six vegetable momos (dumplings). A mocktail to drink, pineapple highball for Nev and I had the elderflower spritz.

The drinks arrived first, I was a bit cautious of elderflower but it also contained flavours of lime and lemongrass and was really lovely. Nev thought his drink we refreshing and not too sweet as pineapple can be.

The food didn’t live up to our high hopes and was just ok. The wrap part of my wrap looked nice but it was like cardboard in texture (taste was ok, but it was tough) and there was not a great deal of filling, the side salad was a portion of edamame beans which I don’t eat. Nev’s verdict on the lamb keema was that “it was ok” but “was missing peas”. I thought the keema smelt really awful and had to move as far away from it as I could. This is not normal for me, I like most cuisines and eat nearly everything, except peas (and any green coloured beans) funnily enough.

The service was friendly and smiley and cannot complain about these prices. We both scored it 6/10.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 22, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Our earlier dining reconnaissance to T5 proved fruitful as we spotted a new restaurant called Kanishka Kitchen. It has ceiling to floor windows all the way across the front so we could easily see inside and we thought it looked really fresh and inviting. We were both keen to give it a go and so returned later.

It is an Indian restaurant and when we walked in the aroma of the cooking spice was really very strong. I noticed the menu had a breakfast section which I thought would be nice to try, the traditional English breakfast was about £12 if I remember correctly. The lunch / dinner options included a selection of curry’s and stir fries as well as Indian spiced up versions of dishes like pizza, burgers and wraps with salad.

I decided to have the aubergine and tofu wrap which is served with side salad, Nev had the lamb keema burger with Marsala fries and we shared a portion of six vegetable momos (dumplings). A mocktail to drink, pineapple highball for Nev and I had the elderflower spritz.

The drinks arrived first, I was a bit cautious of elderflower but it also contained flavours of lime and lemongrass and was really lovely. Nev thought his drink we refreshing and not too sweet as pineapple can be.

The food didn’t live up to our high hopes and was just ok. The wrap part of my wrap looked nice but it was like cardboard in texture (taste was ok, but it was tough) and there was not a great deal of filling, the side salad was a portion of edamame beans which I don’t eat. Nev’s verdict on the lamb keema was that “it was ok” but “was missing peas”. I thought the keema smelt really awful and had to move as far away from it as I could. This is not normal for me, I like most cuisines and eat nearly everything, except peas (and any green coloured beans) funnily enough.

The service was friendly and smiley and cannot complain about these prices. We both scored it 6/10.

I was in his 4x4 and boy it was fill to bursting with snacks, drinks (esp water for me) and he even has a liquor licence for it ! Choose my 80’s music, talked about the holidays (and how I was loved up - again) and he veered the route to get to LAX on time (and drives over the junction they filmed La La Land on). Even though he used a walker this time, my luggage was out of the boot and onto to a troller by the time I climbed out of his beast. He is such a nice guy (and actor to boot - if interested he can talk about the films he was in and some of the celeb friends/pax he regularly drives - all nice stuff not gossip but it makes for a real LA experience to me)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 22, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

It’s good that T5 has another option available (or indeed any option ) but the food sounds a bit disappointing.

Things are only going to get better
Old 7 Jan 22, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I was in his 4x4 and boy it was fill to bursting with snacks, drinks (esp water for me) and he even has a liquor licence for it ! Choose my 80’s music, talked about the holidays (and how I was loved up - again) and he veered the route to get to LAX on time (and drives over the junction they filmed La La Land on). Even though he used a walker this time, my luggage was out of the boot and onto to a troller by the time I climbed out of his beast. He is such a nice guy (and actor to boot - if interested he can talk about the films he was in and some of the celeb friends/pax he regularly drives - all nice stuff not gossip but it makes for a real LA experience to me)

He sounds like an interesting character, I am looking forward to meeting him.

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
It’s good that T5 has another option available (or indeed any option ) but the food sounds a bit disappointing.

Things are only going to get better
Yes we thought it was a good thing too, hopefully the food will improve in time. We noticed the pub, the George I think, was still shut for now.
Old 7 Jan 22, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Yes we thought it was a good thing too, hopefully the food will improve in time. We noticed the pub, the George I think, was still shut for now.
If that is the pub that used to be The Three Tuns (I think) you had a LUCKY escape. I never knew microwaving frozen food could be so difficult….
Old 7 Jan 22, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Travel Day: Part 1

Last update this side, in a couple of hours we should be on our way.

Yesterday when we wandered through T5 we saw a few BA signs suggesting customers ask about an upgrade at check in for on the day deals. We took a guess at what an upgrade would cost from club to first and decided we would ask this morning. So we headed over a little earlier than we might have otherwise, asked, and it was one pound less than our guess. We decided to do it as a treat to make up for all those cancelled trips including my 50th.

We spent the entire airport time in the Concord Room which I highly recommend, you can’t spend too much time in here. Upon arrival we had breakfast in one of the dining booths. Nev had a full English and I had some cornflakes followed by the aptly named “California Breakfast” of smashed avocado and poached eggs on toaster sourdough.

We then spent most of our time chilling out in the open atrium area which overlooks the runway and departure gates plus other parts of the terminal. We didn’t want a lot but wanted to try a couple of other things from the menu so Nev ordered the terrine and I had pumpkin ravioli in burnt butter sauce.

Whilst we were there we had a couple of lattes, some tea and a couple more mocktails, mine was guava and pink grapefruit based and Nev’s was ginger ale based and tasted a bit like a mojito. Everything lovely and to notch service as you would expect. Fairly quiet in the atrium at the time of writing, it was a bit busier earlier on.

Old 7 Jan 22, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Last update this side, in a couple of hours we should be on our way.

Yesterday when we wandered through T5 we saw a few BA signs suggesting customers ask about an upgrade at check in for on the day deals. We took a guess at what an upgrade would cost from club to first and decided we would ask this morning. So we headed over a little earlier than we might have otherwise, asked, and it was one pound less than our guess. We decided to do it as a treat to make up for all those cancelled trips including my 50th.

We spent the entire airport time in the Concord Room which I highly recommend, you can’t spend too much time in here. Upon arrival we had breakfast in one of the dining booths. Nev had a full English and I had some cornflakes followed by the aptly named “California Breakfast” of smashed avocado and poached eggs on toaster sourdough.

We then spent most of our time chilling out in the open atrium area which overlooks the runway and departure gates plus other parts of the terminal. We didn’t want a lot but wanted to try a couple of other things from the menu so Nev ordered the terrine and I had pumpkin ravioli in burnt butter sauce.

Whilst we were there we had a couple of lattes, some tea and a couple more mocktails, mine was guava and pink grapefruit based and Nev’s was ginger ale based and tasted a bit like a mojito. Everything lovely and to notch service as you would expect. Fairly quiet in the atrium at the time of writing, it was a bit busier earlier on.

Brilliant you’re in first
Have a safe flight
Xx

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 22, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Oh my goodness that looks absolutely fabulous! Life goals!

Please do take some photos from the flight if you don’t mind

See you on the other side!
Old 7 Jan 22, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Ooh fab, no regrets you're right you deserve to celebrate your belated 50th in style. Our experience of Club was amazing and I'd love to try First someday. I hope you enjoy the flight.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 22, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

All looks great so far, looking forward to your updates. Safe journey and have a great trip
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List