Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Jan 22, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

Be honest, is it still the same?

We’re booked to go on our third (and probably last) family Floriday this summer.

I just can’t seem to muster up the same excitement or motivation to plan as I would usually at this time of year.

Because of Covid, mask wearing on the plane, mask wearing indoors, PCR testing, anxiety about getting Covid in the US,
no dining plan, the new Genie system which baffles me so much I just switch off... because off ALL these things I’m wondering whether Florida will hold the same magic and be worth the very many pounds we’ll be spending on it.

Has anyone been recently? Is it the same “WOW” holiday?
( I really want you to say yes 🤣 but please be honest).
Old 12 Jan 22, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BaconAndAvocado View Post
We’re booked to go on our third (and probably last) family Floriday this summer.

I just can’t seem to muster up the same excitement or motivation to plan as I would usually at this time of year.

Because of Covid, mask wearing on the plane, mask wearing indoors, PCR testing, anxiety about getting Covid in the US,
no dining plan, the new Genie system which baffles me so much I just switch off... because off ALL these things I’m wondering whether Florida will hold the same magic and be worth the very many pounds we’ll be spending on it.

Has anyone been recently? Is it the same “WOW” holiday?
( I really want you to say yes 🤣 but please be honest).
I'm in the final stages of planning my return to Disneyland California trip and I'm beyond excited. Ive been to England twice in the last few months, so the masks on the plane and in airports does not bother me, neither does the Covid testing and all the extra paperwork.

I have been playing with the new Genie system on the Disneyland App and I can't wait to be in the parks.

After almost 2 years of working from home and having very limited human contact, and not going to restaurants, seeing my friends and just doing stuff, I am sooo ready to return to LA, be in a different location, see my friends, and not just have the same routine day after day.

Ive been working straight through, my job / industry is one of the few that has benefitted from lockdowns / work from home. While everyone else was baking banana bread and sea swimming, walking their neighbourhoods and learning new hobbies, I continued to work my normal job and normal hours, so just like the healthcare industry I'm at burn out and need a holiday.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

It really depends what you're going there for. I am mostly about the theming and atmosphere, that is all still definitely there. But it's too crowded ALL the time, and I went in a historically quiet week. I didn't spend that much time in the parks as a result. This was fine for me since I wanted more resort time this trip (Christmas focused, had to go see all the trees ) but if I was someone who wanted to be in the parks all day, I would have been frustrated.

No PCR testing needed now though, so that's one off your list at least
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

What test do we need now for going into Orlando?
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Sorry it's a no from me.
Went in Nov/Dec and cancelled our Feb trip as soon as we got back.

For us it was the relentless crowds in a usually quiet period which spoiled it. Far too stressy for me.

We stayed onsite in both Disney and Universal and Universal was by far the nicer experience. Though the physical bones of Disney are still just as lovely.

Prices have gone up in and out of the parks too, for everything.

We're gonna leave it a year or two I think (current thinking, anyway! ) We do have November booked again this year and will hang fire on that for now...
We had been so looking forward to getting back, and it was an expensive anti-climax.
We think it's a combo of the pent-up demand, the 50th celebrations and that (according to 2 of our American friends opinions, the US midde classes have more disposable income right now. Not sure if that is the case or not though.)

Edited at 04:14 PM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
What test do we need now for going into Orlando?
US requirements haven't changed, still a supervised antigen (LFT) - it's the UK return testing that keeps changing, but that is now just a day 2 LFT as well.

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
We think it's a cobo of the pent-up demand, the 50th celebrations and that (according to 2 of our American friends opinions, the US midde classes have more disposable income right now. Not sure if that is the case or not though.)
Would believe it. Have read loads of people who didn't need the stimulus cheques were using them for vacations. I think each person has gotten about 3k now.

Edited at 04:05 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

California was far form being the same. Much was closed down (or not re-opened) severe staffing issues and when I was there is was cooler in LA, parks very quiet (which was good for me) BUT it as truly magical to be back and I would return in a heart beat without any doubt at all.

Bottom line some will feel it is wow and others meh. If you look at the positives then you can have a wonderful time I am sure. It is best to remain very flexible and dont over plan as things are different and will be different for a while to come. Planning will only lead to disappointment but doing things ad hoc as to what is open and available day to day can really be liberating and really good fun
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

For me I think people who are looking for the same experience they know and remember from years past are the ones who are having a harder time finding the Disney Magic.

My upcoming trip will be different to previous years, its a more relaxed resort style trip. I remember back to when Disneyland California was closed and the feelings I had then, when we were banned from entering USA and LA locals were posting videos and photos of a deserted Downtown Disney and the locked Disneyland Gates. Knowing that it could be taken from us, that even the park that Walt built was closed, really brought home how serious the whole Covid situation is. Watching those videos, I vowed not to take going to a Disney Park for granted ever again.

I said back then and I still feel the same way, I just want to be in the parks, and be surrounded by the sights, sounds and smells.

One thing I have planned for my trip is to buy a corn dog and just sit on a bench on Main Street / The Hub and just soak up the atmosphere and be thankful that the parks are open and that the travel ban has been removed.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
To be honest we're not too worried about it 'being the same', I'm just so happy to (be expecting to) travel again, and to do something we love. We have 2 US trips this year - a 10 night cruise from Port Lauderdale in March, and 3+ weeks in Orlando later in the year.
Crowds, masks, tests, less places open, raised costs - don't care, just get me there
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

hmmm a mixed bag really. 99% of CMs had the same disney magic as always. Missed having the dining plan. Missed being in OKW as it's just too darned expensive. Missed proper mouse keeping. Missed the shows such as Lion King and Beauty and the beast as they were. It's a different experience with genie plus, i think we'll just need to re think the way we do things to maximise our time. Luckily most people that go haven't a clue so we've always got that advantage! Didn't like having to spend as money on food etc. Missed the choice of merchandise. But, for the most part we had a great time. Sunshine, good food and cocktails and some really good rides. Booked to go again in September so can't be that bad. I think some of it is attitude, things change and you have that choice as to how you see it.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List