Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 17 Mar 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Would anybody mind checking my annual pass calculations?

I’ve sat down today to do some calculations to decide if it’s worth us getting annual passes for next year, wow what a palaver! Wish it was easier to work out.

Anyway, I’ve got three figures now to work with and I wondered if anyone could sense check it for me?

We are 2 adults 1 child (Disney adult next year) and have 14 day ultimates that cost a total of £1174. We’ll go for the Platinum Plus Pass to include the water parks.

I’ve used today’s spot rate (hopefully the rate doesn’t tank too much between now and August or all my calculations will be worthless )

I read on another forum that they calculate the cost by using the ap rate before tax, deduct the ‘value’ of your ultimate ticket then add tax to the difference to get the price you pay.

The price I’ve come up with using this method and what I actually paid for my tickets gives me a $ upgrade price of $503.63 pp

The next figures I’ve looked at start with the ap including tax as it’s just easier to work out that way (and I’d one that first before reading about the tax situation for these )

So I have calculated a figure of $538.33 to break even with what I’ve paid for my current tickets and a figure of $596.95 as the most I’d pay before it would cost the same as buying separate ultimates for next summer.

So I figured if they give me a total price below $1791 for 3 annual passes then it’s worth going for it. We’ll also make savings on top of this with merc discounts and some dining discounts. We’ll most likely squeeze in another trip next May if we have passes, because, why not? You can never have too much Disney

I realise with three trips and discounts that it’s definitely worth getting the passes, but I want an idea of what I’ll need to pay out in August when we’re there.

It’s so hard to find any prices online, most of what I’ve seen is for dvc members so a different ap to the one we’ll get, or is from 21 day ultimates or to the Platinum and not the plus. I’ve yet to find anyone that has done the same upgrade as us documented anywhere.

Wow, this is a long post hope someone has managed to stay with me and can give some advice
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sonic_heroes
Apprentice Imagineer

sonic_heroes's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yes, we have calculated the same way as you taking into account what we have paid for our 21 day tickets and are hoping to upgrade in July when we are there. Hope it all goes to plan for you too.
DLP Oct 2007. Marriott World Centre Drive/PO Riverside Oct 2009. POR Oct 2011. SSR/Sheraton Vistana/ASS July 2013. Pop Cent Oct 2014. ASM May 2015. Davenport Villas July 2015. ASS, Liki Tiki Village, T Ridge July 2016. Marriott SeaWorld, OKW, Hampton lakes Villa, June 2019.All star Music Dec 2019
sonic_heroes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
I’ve sat down today to do some calculations to decide if it’s worth us getting annual passes for next year, wow what a palaver! Wish it was easier to work out.

Anyway, I’ve got three figures now to work with and I wondered if anyone could sense check it for me?

We are 2 adults 1 child (Disney adult next year) and have 14 day ultimates that cost a total of £1174. We’ll go for the Platinum Plus Pass to include the water parks.

I’ve used today’s spot rate (hopefully the rate doesn’t tank too much between now and August or all my calculations will be worthless )

I read on another forum that they calculate the cost by using the ap rate before tax, deduct the ‘value’ of your ultimate ticket then add tax to the difference to get the price you pay.

The price I’ve come up with using this method and what I actually paid for my tickets gives me a $ upgrade price of $503.63 pp

The next figures I’ve looked at start with the ap including tax as it’s just easier to work out that way (and I’d one that first before reading about the tax situation for these )

So I have calculated a figure of $538.33 to break even with what I’ve paid for my current tickets and a figure of $596.95 as the most I’d pay before it would cost the same as buying separate ultimates for next summer.

So I figured if they give me a total price below $1791 for 3 annual passes then it’s worth going for it. We’ll also make savings on top of this with merc discounts and some dining discounts. We’ll most likely squeeze in another trip next May if we have passes, because, why not? You can never have too much Disney

I realise with three trips and discounts that it’s definitely worth getting the passes, but I want an idea of what I’ll need to pay out in August when we’re there.

It’s so hard to find any prices online, most of what I’ve seen is for dvc members so a different ap to the one we’ll get, or is from 21 day ultimates or to the Platinum and not the plus. I’ve yet to find anyone that has done the same upgrade as us documented anywhere.

Wow, this is a long post hope someone has managed to stay with me and can give some advice
So I tried to work the same out for September but without water parks and came up to about $50 cheaper so that sounds about right.
Old 18 Mar 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Your actual upgrade will ultimately be based in what Disney deems to ne the value of your UK tickets as this can vary widely depend in who or where you go to upgrade. When we have upgraded in the past our UK ticket "value" has never been the dollar converted rate of what we paid in £ but more. Its a bit of a black art to be honest. Have a value in your head that you would be happy to pay then every thing will be fine.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Your actual upgrade will ultimately be based in what Disney deems to ne the value of your UK tickets as this can vary widely depend in who or where you go to upgrade. When we have upgraded in the past our UK ticket "value" has never been the dollar converted rate of what we paid in £ but more. Its a bit of a black art to be honest. Have a value in your head that you would be happy to pay then every thing will be fine.
Thanks This is why I've done it at the price I think my pass is worth now as like a minimum price. Anything more is a bonus. This then has given me the value I'm aiming for but hopefully can get cheaper
Old 21 Mar 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I was told by Disney that they would calculate on the wholesale price of my pass & not what I'd paid, even though I bought it Direct! In that instance I was already £50/ticket down on what they said that I might get. Even on that though an AP should still be cheaper than 2 ultimates, especially the way Disney are now randomly increasing ticket prices- I'm hoping that AP prices don't go up before we buy ours in July!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
I was told by Disney that they would calculate on the wholesale price of my pass & not what I'd paid, even though I bought it Direct! In that instance I was already £50/ticket down on what they said that I might get. Even on that though an AP should still be cheaper than 2 ultimates, especially the way Disney are now randomly increasing ticket prices- I'm hoping that AP prices don't go up before we buy ours in July!
SD
Also if its wholesale price - is that today's wholesale price or when you booked it as there could be a difference. I got mine back in April 2018 so the chance is by September 2019 when I travel there will have been 2 price increases. I dunno if Disney can work that out or not but this could mean wholesale price is better for me in the end.
Old 20 Apr 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I am looking at doing the same in August as we are planning another trip at Christmas but I can only see the value in the Platinum plus ( which we would have to buy due to the Christmas blockout dates on the other annual passes ) if we actually have a third visit as I think it sort of breaks even on two trips compared to the UK ticket prices am I being syndical or is there gains to be had on 2 trips 🤪
Old 22 Apr 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Why didn't you just buy an annual pass?
Instead of doing loads of calculations and still coming here to ask for advice?
Gambling on the exchange rate and asking how to save money?
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JP81 View Post
Why didn't you just buy an annual pass?
Instead of doing loads of calculations and still coming here to ask for advice?
Gambling on the exchange rate and asking how to save money?
So it might be like me where to get free dining you have to have a 14 day ticket but you know you are travelling again within the next year without free dining so upgrading make sense. That's what I'm doing in September.