Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 2 Feb 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mummyknowsbest
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Credit card stopped last time

Hi all - when I was last in Florida in 2017 we had two or three issues with our clarity card being stopped - we had to call the bank and answer lots of questions to get it reinstated. I'm not sure whether there was a pattern of places, such as petrol stations, a cafe in liberty square in MK spring to mind. Has anyone else had this? Cant remember if it was the old fashioned "signing" for the cc rather than chip and pin that might have made a difference. Has anyone had anything like this lately please? Thank you
mummyknowsbest is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We've been using a clarity card for years and never had a problem, we last went in May. Thinking about it I don't think there was a time we had to sign for anything everything was chip and pin.

We did pay cash at petrol stations too.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
philinmerthyr
Imagineer

I went online to inform Halifax that we were travelling and got a message back that we no longer needed to tell them.

Hopefully I won’t have any issues. I do also have a Santander zero card as backup.
Old 2 Feb 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We never use a card in petrol stations. I have read on here that it’s a big no- no.

Always use cash👍
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
We never use a card in petrol stations. I have read on here that it’s a big no- no.

Always use cash👍
I've posted on here at least twice, maybe three times, in recent years actual Florida news reports about the exponential growth of card skimming in the state. Admittedly it's mainly at the "pay at the pump" machines but like you it's always cash for me.

Go inside the kiosk at our Wawa and "$30 on pump six please" and hand over some notes. If you can only get $28.50 in then just go back and get change.

We do exactly the same in all restaurants.

Mick
Old 2 Feb 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My credit card got blocked at Kate Spade last year. Quick call when we were back at the villa got it released. That’s the only time I’ve had any issues over the last 9 years.

We do tend to pay cash at the petrol station.
Old 2 Feb 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Mobile

DH post office card always pings a check message, mine's always fine.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Nearly everywhere is now chip & pin; a slight issue at Christmas as a store had an issue with their C & P machine being temperamental & they tried to swipe the card; cards can be more likely to be blocked if swiped on a machine that has a C & P function as the banks rightly wonder why C & P isn’t being used. Quick automated call sorted it.

We use our card for all our petrol now; not seen a gas station without C & P for a couple of years now; feel that the danger of skimming was prevalent when you had to hand your card to someone & you no longer do that, your card stays in your hand.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mummyknowsbest
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Thank you everyone for your replies to my query! Much appreciated x
mummyknowsbest is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List