Old 18 Feb 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sneaky Feb Trip 2020- 6 Nights Universal on-site Day 2

We were all so excited to start on the parks. Unfortunately this meant my 4yr old woke at 3am and could not be settled back down. I eventually gave up and unpacked while my husband slept until 5ish. The other 2 kids were up about 3.30-4ish. I had some snacks in the room -pre-packaged croissants which starved off hunger.

I wasn't sure if Feb truly was short and T- short weather early in the day but we decided to go with it based on the 28 degree high predicted. Given how early we were up we decided we might as well head to early opening at Universal Studios. It is so odd coming from a storm and freezing weather to T- shirts and sun cream. There was a slight nip in the air but it was pleasant. After a short return to the room to get a forgotten phone we were off. We walked to city walk and were pretty hungry so Voodoo donuts was calling. The walk from RPR is about 5-10 minutes and very pretty. You also clear security minus any queues. We each picked a donut in hand and got some chocolate milk for the kids and a coffee for Hubby.

I went for an old fashioned, hubby had a Boston cream (custard) kids choose chocolate coated and donuts covered with m and m's. These were all ok or good. Although my 4 yr son wasn't fused on any.

We got to Universal around 7.55 with a v small queue waiting to get in. We headed to guest services as I had some Marvel meal tickets to pick up for later in the week and then stopped to get our photo pass Lanyard just inside the gate. Then we had to get a photo.

I think we eventually made it onto Minions around 8.20. I was surprised the express line was opened this early - I love having the hotel express and while not needed this early it does take away a lot of stress during the holiday. No minion meet and great at the exit this early so we headed to Diagon Alley. There was only one family at the Night bus so we stopped for photos and a chat. Good fun.

We then did some wand interactions before the area got too busy and then into Gringotts- at 8.55, with child swap we can bypass the lockers. There was a queue forming from non early entry guests so they had been let into the park at this point. 5 min and we were on- no express at this time of the morning. This is always fun.

We decided to head around US further and MIB was our next stop. This was a walk on. We got our refillable cups from a previous trip reactivated and headed to Simpsons. When we came out Krusty was there so we joined a short line to meet him. My kids love meet and greats so we stop for a lot of these.

It was 11ish and the QS restaurants in Simpson land had just opened. We were ready for lunch given the early start. We had never eaten here but decided to give it a try. We got some chicken Tacos from the bumble bee shack outside, 2 krusty burgers with curly fries, a duff beer and a side of tater tots. All from separate stands which is a pain with kids. Also all stalls listed fries but we got tator tots and curly fries which the kids weren't happy about. This was on ongoing theme- fries can mean any form of fried potato product so if you have fussy kids check. The tacos were the best of the selection and I don't think I'd get the burger or tots again.

We wandered to ET ride and also the ET photo spot. The kids loved this. We also meet Dora and Spongebob. We could have met the trolls but decided to move on as the line was long.

We then noticed and met Madagascar penguins, Bart and Lisa, Scooby Doo and Shaggy before checking out the annual pass holder lounge. We picked up a free Mardi Gras magnet but otherwise its just a shop with a few sofas. They could really do with more in here- even some water would be nice. We went on transformers which we all enjoyed.
My sons favourite.

We wandered across to Fast and Furious. Even with express the line is long due to multiple pre-shows and then another line. The general conclusion was good for the 60 sec of action but not worth the wait.

We got the Hogwarts express across to Hogsmead and seen a 60 min wait for Hagrids. So we jumped in line. It went down for 10 min in line and I needed to do some emergency toilet runs with the kids but it was worth the approx 70 minute wait (including child swap and getting the photo).
We were chuffed to get this done on day 1 but unfortunately never managed it again during the holiday.

We had intended to do more rides but by this point we were hungry and tired- It was 4ish. We bypassed all rides and characters to get to city walk. We never usually eat out of the park but fancied a change. We tried Big Fire which was quiet. Service and food were good- husband had trout and I had short rib pasta. Kids had mac and cheese and chicken fingers with wedges (listed as fries). We would go back.

We got the boat back to the hotel and with food on board the kids fancied the pool. I wasn't keen but decided it may help with us adjusting to the time shift.

So I found myself swimming in the dark at 6.30pm. Husband sat with a beer with an unintentional sovereign cup. Swimming was a tad cold but pleasant until we needed to dry off. The kids loved it though.
After some showers we were all ready for bed.

Apologies I didn't manage many food photos during the trip- 3 hungry kids

Link to Index https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1161617

Edited at 12:52 PM.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
A good day with lots done

Joan
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
col1968
Apprentice Imagineer

not being funny, but why include photos with faces blurred out? Just use photos with no one in?
col1968 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

I like your pictures, even if the faces are blurred. As it's your first trip report - I thought I'd write something positive and encouraging. Looking forward to more. We really need a dislike button on here

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
col1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JanetteP View Post
I like your pictures, even if the faces are blurred. As it's your first trip report - I thought I'd write something positive and encouraging. Looking forward to more. We really need a dislike button on here
just making a comment, not being funny, so why should you be?
col1968 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Originally Posted by col1968 View Post
just making a comment, not being funny, so why should you be?
Not being funny either, just positive - not negative. I feel if you haven't got anything nice to say, then don't bother.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I agree photos without people would be far more sensible but I don't have many- next trip I'll try and remember to take some and more food photos . I hope even with blurred faces it gives you an idea of what the park if like and hopefully helps break up the text
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
col1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by rafjen View Post
I agree photos without people would be far more sensible but I don't have many- next trip I'll try and remember to take some and more food photos . I hope even with blurred faces it gives you an idea of what the park if like and hopefully helps break up the text
I totally understand why you wouldn't want to show your children's faces, I just wondered why you hadn't chosen photos without. Anyway, I am enjoying reading your trip report, looks like you had a fab time so far. I've been a bunch of times now and never had the time to do one so good on you!
Old 19 Feb 20, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
col1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JanetteP View Post
Not being funny either, just positive - not negative. I feel if you haven't got anything nice to say, then don't bother.
yada yada, some people just feel the need to comment about others comments when there's no need for it I feel!