Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Oct 06, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Weather and Hurricane Worries

We are thinking of travelling late June 2007 but are worried that the official hurricane season starts at the beginning of June.

I would be interested to hear from anyone about the weather you may have experienced at this time of year in the past

Thanks
Phil Allen
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 06, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

Hi Phil, welcome to the Dibb.
To be honest , I dont think you have much chance of seeing a hurricane so early in the season. We have been 4 times early November. That too is still classed as hurricane season in some books, but weve never seen one.

I would think early June is a good time to go as the American schools are not on holiday.
It does get hot in June, and will get humid as well with the possibility of the late afternoon rainfall and thunderstorms.
We go in the summer months [July] for the first time next year and hurricanes are the least of my worries. Im just hoping we can cope with the heat.

Take a look at this site wunderground
bring up weather for Orlando or kissimmee and take a look at the history. You can go back about 4 years and see what the weather and temps were like.

Stuart.

Anaheim 2008

California, Arizona and Nevada road trips 2012,2014, 2019

Edited at 05:31 PM.
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 06, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Although June is classed as the start of the hurricane season, the locals class an hurricane in late July or early August as an early start to the "proper" hurricane season.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 06, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Phil

No-one can predict the weather.

Nothing so far this year and we are almost in November.

When we were buying our villa we were told the Orlando area is Central Florida and usually the winds have died down to a very windy day.

Last year our home had no damage and all our guests had no problems.

If there is going to be a hurricane, then there is always warning and instructions of what to do.

I think for most villas the mangement company ensure guests are aware of what to do and what to buy in, and most villas will have a 'hurricane box', we definitely do.

Hotels also ensure guests are fully aware of how to care for themselves and family during a storm.

Forget hurricanes and enjoy looking forward to your holiday

We've always had wonderful weather June/July
Old 19 Oct 06, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post

HI Citrus View
I wish the villa owners had had a hurricane box at the villa we stayed at in Naples last year when Wilma hit. They had NOTHING and I mean nothing. We had to go out for tins of food, tin openers, candles, matches, water etc. They had a bbq but had no coals - you try boiling a kettle over 6 tealights! CAn I suggest a gas bbq or those fondue burner gels for your hurricane preparation box! At least then you or your guests can have hot food if they want and if they are brits they will be able to make that all important cup of tea! Also a radio that takes batteries would have been good. We also bought loads of ice and packed it in the fridge and freezer compartment and with no electricity for 4 days we managed to keep our drinks cold and our food fresh. They did switch on the power every night for about 3 hours so it was a mad dash to have showers, catch the news on TV and make a quick dinner! It was like camping in luxury surroundings!
Old 19 Oct 06, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post

We were in Orlando 18th July-16th August and during that time luckily no Hurricanes. As previously stated they normally happen later in the season. You may experience sme rain and thunderstorms but nothing drastic or to worry about.
Old 19 Oct 06, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post

I thought US schools broke up at the beginning of June.

We go in July/August every year, the peak of the hurricane season is September. Like most things relating to weather it is not an exact science. This year was supposed to be a very active year but it has been one of the quietest on record.
Old 19 Oct 06, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Splashman77
Apprentice Imagineer

Splashman77's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Hi Phil
The season for Hurricanes is Jun-Nov however you can go years and not have any (ie 2006) as opposed to 2004/5.
2006 predicted by the experts was going to be the worst year to date for the number of named Hurricanes so far all have been out into the Atlantic and have not affected Florida and only two Tropical Depressions have crossed
the area Alberto & Enesto
We have owned a property since 1998 and in that time only one group of guests have been affected so you would be very unlucky to be there when one strikes.
The most damage is done on the coasts in its path once it starts to cross the land it looses some of its power and usually the winds moderate considerably.
It would be unlikely that you would encounter one whilst there and very unluckly if you did so dont let it spoil your future plans.
Splashman77 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 06, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by cocococo
HI Citrus View
I wish the villa owners had had a hurricane box at the villa we stayed at in Naples last year when Wilma hit. They had NOTHING and I mean nothing. We had to go out for tins of food, tin openers, candles, matches, water etc. They had a bbq but had no coals - you try boiling a kettle over 6 tealights! CAn I suggest a gas bbq or those fondue burner gels for your hurricane preparation box! At least then you or your guests can have hot food if they want and if they are brits they will be able to make that all important cup of tea! Also a radio that takes batteries would have been good. We also bought loads of ice and packed it in the fridge and freezer compartment and with no electricity for 4 days we managed to keep our drinks cold and our food fresh. They did switch on the power every night for about 3 hours so it was a mad dash to have showers, catch the news on TV and make a quick dinner! It was like camping in luxury surroundings!
I'm really sorry for your bad experience.

We are lucky to have gas...so gas range and gas BBQ as well as our box with lamps, loads of batteries, gas lighter, wind up radio, battery fans etc

The electricity cuts do cause problems with fridge/freezers etc but as you say the companies try to get it fixed ASAP.

BUT these are all few and far between...so it's best not to think of them and just plan you holiday of Dreams
Old 19 Oct 06, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Talking we do break up in early June

Originally Posted by wrpac00
I thought US schools broke up at the beginning of June.

We go in July/August every year, the peak of the hurricane season is September. Like most things relating to weather it is not an exact science. This year was supposed to be a very active year but it has been one of the quietest on record.

You are right, we get out the first week in June and some schools get out the end of May!

Most of us go back to school the end of August or just after Labor Day.
Closed Thread