Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Nov 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

KLM advice seats and in flight movies etc.

All after the Thomas cook issues I had a road trip booked. Unfortunately that has now resulted in me flying KLM man- San Fran via Amsterdam. Before returning direct on virgin. Question is has anyone flown with KLM if so any good or bad points. Plus any one paid to pick the seats or ideally paid to have extra leg room. Wondering if they also have good inflight entertainment. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

We flew KLM to Japan in July. It was a good flight. We booked a 4 row towards the rear (bulkhead taken) just where 4 becomes 3 seats ( plane was 777-300). This was an excellent location.

Food was good, afternoon takeoff, breakfast landing. Choice of meat, fish, veggie mail meal (chicken in tomato, potato, bread and warm pudding). Evening snack (sandwich, soup, crackers chese etc)and cooked breakfast. Galley was help yourself inbetween meals, all drinks were complimentary and drinks galley was open. Cup noodles, sandwiches, cakes, chocolates were all available to help yourself.

Entertainment was good. We flew economy and had seatback with usb charging and a power socket shared between 2 seats. Headphone socket was normal 3.5mm

Blanket, pillow, eyemask, headphones, passport holder and goodie bag for kids were on our seats.

Film and tv series selection was good, plenty for the flight and return. Kids mode could be selected to lock selections for the kids , we needed to deselect this (via stewardess) for our 12yo who wanted to watch antman 2.

Get frequent flier card and you get discount of seat booking plus first free I think.

We also flew vis Schiphol. Airport is large, lots of shops and places to wind down. Food court was busy. Transfer walk was about 35mins. If it is a large layover there is an airport tour you can book.

Bad points? In reality non. Obviously we knew leg space was at a premium but it was perfectly manageable. The help-yourself was very good, we went neither hungry or thirsty. Kids charged their tablets fine and we adults were happy with the films. No earplugs but we brought out own. I suppose it was slightly chilly but again we banked on this and wore another layer for the flight.

Edited at 07:11 PM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks for the feedback that’s great. To be fair it’s a lads trip which starts in San Fran and ends in Vegas while in between we ride Harley Davidson. All that you said is reassuring one thing I would ask is the flyer card you mention. What’s this. It said on my booking somehow my virgin miles can be gained but does not allow me to book seat without paying. I’ve not had the flight ref through yet as only booked Friday evening but I doubt it will allow me to book for free even though it’s a code share (what ever that means) thanks again
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Done hundreds of flights with KLM via Schiphol. Can't recall a bad flight with them or Delta who they partner with for some of the flights. Odd delay here and there, but they have all been dealt with very well.

Whilst Schiphol is big, it is split in two, the Worldwide and Shenzhen sections which are split by passport control. Coming in from the UK and out to the US you will only be using the wordlwide part. UK flights tend to come in the A gates and if on a Cityhopper KLM flight you will land and be bussed to the terminal building.

Most of the US flights are within a 10 minute walk of the UK gates, and that half of the airport you can do end to end in 15 minutes max. Only longer if you are crossing into the other part of the airport.

Flight wise, the entertainment is usually good, USB ports on most of the long haul planes now and legroom reasonable. Their configurations tend to be less cramped than the likes of BA. I always book seats, but then I am at a reward level that allows me to do it free (including extra leg room).

KLM like most airlines have introduced a light ticket which does not include hold luggage, so make sure you do not have that if you need that option.

Flying Blue is the reward system. It covers KLM, Air France, Delta and a few others and works in a similar way to the others. As you do more flights in the year you earn both miles to be redeemed and features such as priority boarding, free seat booking etc.

Sounds like your ticket is Virgin where the flight is provided by KLM (that is code share in that you have a Virgin flight number but a KLM flight). KLM own part of Virgin Atlantic (and may be buying more soon). You may find that you have to book the seat with KLM, not Virgin, I have to do this with Delta when on a KLM booking which is a Delta code share flight.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

ok That’s brilliant. I have the ticket that includes luggage so I’m guessing it’s the equivalent of normal economy with virgin. With you saying I have to book with KLM for my seats will that come at a extra cost? Not too worried as we are bunch of guys heading out so won’t be a issue if not sat together but if I can book for free then I will. Would it help me becoming a blue member
Old 14 Nov 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Klm are our favourite. Really good crews and service .
We got extra leg room back from DC. Was excellent as we had the row to ourselves .
Would always choose them
Didnt pay for seats on ams leg to home .go for the middle over wing exit ones of you can .more room

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Flew with them a couple years ago and we thought they were great. Nice planes and good in flight entertainment.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks guys. I would like to get extra leg room seats but can’t find the option at present it won’t even allow me to pick a seat (I know I would have to pay but thought it would show me what seats are available.
It’s great to hear good feedback on KLM so thanks ever so much.