Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 16 Oct 16, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

Varifocal glasses! Making me sick?

Hi
I've just got myself some new glasses, they are varifocal.
I'm finding they make me feel sick and there is no way I can walk up and down stairs!
How long does it take to get used to them?
Anybody any tips!
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 16, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

no tips but I went for 2 separate pairs as I knew this may be a side effect of Varis

readers and distance

I thought id be either or

so now on PC readers, driving Distance - right?

its works but it is a bit of a pain switching...

may have to get a glasses chain or 2 - a la Larry Grayson... (no)

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 16, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

ps mamamouse went for Varis and no nausea but still shes not happy with them especially driving at night

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 16, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinnabon
Imagineer

About 20 % of people cannot get on with VF.
Try starting tomorrow wearing them straight from getting up and see how you get on.
I tried mine on a 3 months Specsavers trial and could not do it, so they refunded me the full cost. But hubby loved his and would not go back.
Old 16 Oct 16, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by swiper View Post
Hi
I've just got myself some new glasses, they are varifocal.
I'm finding they make me feel sick and there is no way I can walk up and down stairs!
How long does it take to get used to them?
Anybody any tips!
They do take a little time to get used to them, when I had mine fitted they couldn't stress enough to me that I had to move my eyes and not my head when I was seeking out short or long distance ( if that makes sense ) in other words move your eyes down to the lower part of the lense to read and up for normal use,if you move your head instead your eyes are not focusing on the proper area and will distort your view.
Apart from that if you are feeling sick I would get the fitting checked as if they are slightly out of line this will affect your focusing too.
When I got my second pair of varifocals things like my iPad looked like they were curving upwards towards me in the middle, that made me feel sick and when I went back they said it could be that I have been prescribed too strong a lense so they weakened my prescription slightly and the new pair were fine.
It could be any combination that you are suffering with so I would go back and have them check it out for you .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort

Edited at 09:43 AM.
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 16, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I know exactly what you are going through - been there. All I can say is stick with it, within a few days your brain will adjust and it's tons better than two pairs of glasses.
When going down stairs, say to yourself ' chin on chest' - you will then be looking through the correct part of the lens and less likely to miss your step.
I've just had an eye test and need new varifocals so will have to go through it again, but it's not as bad as getting the very first pair.
Good luck!
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 16, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

Thank you all for your experiences... I'm going to stick with them for a few weeks and try and do the moving of the eyes and not the head, plus think I will go up and down stairs for now without my specs!
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 16, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post

I tried varifocals as well but gave up on them after three weeks as the constant head moving to obtain focus was getting at me. My problems started when I bought a tablet and could read it easily with my reading glasses but if I looked up to the TV, I couldn't pick out the details. I use another pair for driving so that's OK.

I went back to Specsavers last week and they suggested that I needed bifocals for my tablet and TV. They took my varifocals back and refunded me about a third! I pick the new ones up tomorrow and I'm hoping that's the answer.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 16, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I really like mine. I'm on my second or third pair. I couldn't go back to just reading glasses or two pairs of glasses. The constant switching drove me crazy.

I just got a new pair and they do feel a bit strange. The first day I was sure they were wrong. A week later ad they are ok but still feel a bit strange.

I would say stick with them as if you can get used to them they are so much better than separate pairs.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 16, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

I felt the same, and for my safety crossing roads, up and down stairs etc gave up after 3 weeks just never felt safe. I.felt constantly sick with them on so went back to my ordinary glasses
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread