Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 1 May 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Club Africana, Drinks Are Free! - Day 7:Strangers take you by the hand and welcome you to wonderland

The Index

Monday 30th October 2017

After yesterday’s action packed day we were planning on a chilled out morning, so we let ourselves have a lie in until 9am.

As usual first task of the day was coffee. The club lounge was very busy this morning and by the time I got up there they had run out out of big coffee cups, meaning I had to make a couple of trips in order to satisfy our early morning caffeine craving!

Isabella was still asleep by the way - she didn’t wake up until about 10:15am, which isn’t surprising considering last night was one of the latest night’s she’s ever had!

Once she was awake it was time for us all to get ready for our 10:40am Boma breakfast reservation - we couldn’t stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and not go to Boma: it’s one of our favourite restaurants on property.

After we’d checked in, we opted for tea instead of the usual coffee; we had some Orange Pekoe tea, which was very nice. Once we’d settled in we took it turns to hit the buffet. We made a few visits, having our fill of fruit, cooked food, and pastries, all washed down with coffee and jungle juice - it was delicious as we expected.

Boma breakfast

By 11:30am breakfast was done, and bellies suitably filled, we left Boma and while I headed to the Zawadi Marketplace, Jo and Isabella went for a wander. I had a couple of things I needed to do; first was to get some dollars for tipping the maid, as we only had large notes left. The server in the shop was from New Zealand and very chatty; we talked about polymer banknotes - apparently New Zealand was one of the first countries to introduce them - and the recent New Zealand flag competition!

Once I had the dollars, I then went to look at the Pandora display. Jo had mentioned that she liked the Snow White poison apple charm, and I saw that they had it on display. Buying it was harder than expected though, as the two that they had on display were the only two left. My server Gita (from Kenya, via Bushey in Hertfordshire) had to call the manager to unlock the display.

Eventually I got the charm and I headed back up to the room, and with Jo and Isabella still out and about, I went in the room and locked the door behind me as I needed to use the toilet. A few minutes later Jo returned to the room but as I had locked the door she couldn’t get in. She thought that her magic band had stopped working, and when she realised I had locked the door she was understandably annoyed!

The time was now 12:30pm and so we headed off to get a bus over to Epcot. This afternoon we were off for some Food & Wine fun with fellow Dibbers Kate ( AKA Bambikate), Andy, and their two lovely girls Imogen and Izzy.

Jambo House

We’d met them a year ago (to the day) when we were all staying at Saratoga Springs and had spent a few hours in Disney Springs together - you can read about it here: https://DIBB.in/12158491.

The girls had got on so well, and had been staying in touch via post, so when we realised we would be in Disney World again at the same time, Jo and Kate had organised an afternoon of drinking and eating at Epcot. We were definitely looking forward to it!

The bus arrived and very shortly we were making our way into Epcot. It was busy this afternoon and unfortunately we chose the wrong bag check line - don’t you hate it when that happens?!

Busy

Once inside, we stopped by Guest Services to see if they had any Annual Passholder sliders for Isabella’s magic band; we’d got the band itself replaced in the club lounge no problem, but they didn’t have any AP sliders so they told us to try Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios.

We left Guest Services (empty handed) and headed towards Mexico, where we’d arranged to meet Kate, Andy and the girls.

Mexico

Even though we’d only met them twice the year before - first at Saratoga Springs, then at Disney Springs - we were greeted like old friends and there was no awkwardness. The conversation flowed (as did the alcohol!) and the girls wasted no time in starting on their Duffys at Mexico Kidcot Funspot.

Duffy

Fan shopping

As we were inside the Mexico pavilion we toyed with the idea of getting a margarita from La Cava del Tequila but it was so busy (when isn’t it?!) we decided to head to China for a Tipsy Ducks in Love from the Joy of Tea.

Tipsy ducks

We got our drinks and headed into the House of Good Fortune shop in the China pavilion. The girls all wanted to buy fans, and the Chinese CMs wrote their names in Chinese on them using the ancient Chinese art of shar-pei….

The girls then continued with their Duffy colouring, while the adults enjoyed their Tipsy Ducks . Jo then spied a Shanghai Disneyland pin which she bought Isabella for her ever growing pin collection.

Shanghai Pin

We left the shop and got some photos under the paifang (Chinese arch). It was a beautiful day and as we were leaving a couple asked me to take a photo of them under the paifang.

Cool walk

Jo is always saying how I am terrible at taking photos of people, so thought this was hilarious! I took the photo and then as we walked away we saw them looking at the photo. Jo was proven right - as soon as we had walked away we saw them asking another group of people to take the same photo!

Cool arch

Once the Tipsy Ducks were finished we located our next drink at the Cool Post/Refreshment Outpost. Andy, Jo and I got the F&W special Bain’s Cape Mountain Whisky and Frozen Coke, while Kate went for the Mango Starr (Mango Purée and Starr African Rum). The girls were thirsty too so we got them all some Frozen Lemonades.

Cool post

I tried to get straws from the dispenser, but none came out, so thinking it had run out I set off immediately to locate some straws for everyone. Getting as far as Italy with no luck, I turned around and returned strawless, only to find when I got back that everyone had a straw - the dispenser hadn’t been empty, just temperamental!

Cool Jo (with straw)

The girls Frozen Lemonades were (obviously) very cold, and to keep their hands warm Imogen and Izzy had planned ahead and brought some cute cup cosies - they also had a spare one which they very kindly lent Isabella .

Cool Isabella

The girls

Edited at 10:09 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Everyone was now getting peckish so we headed to Germany for Roast Bratwurst in Pretzel Rolls all round. We found a table to stand and eat, and Isabella almost immediately managed to drop the bratwurst from the roll onto the floor! As this was essentially her dinner, Jo and I gave her the one we were sharing.

Before

After

Once we - well, they - had finished their sausages we headed on towards Italy. Kate wanted to stop at the Spain booth between Germany and Italy to get the Charcuterie in a Cone. While we waited for her, we had fun bird/duck spotting.

Kate had her Charcuterie Cone, and it was time to make our way to Italy. As I said earlier, it was beautiful sunny day and the girls were putting their fans to good use!

Having bypassed the Germany kidcot the girls continued colouring in Italy, and then we moved on to the America pavilion - there were quite a few Food & Wine items that all of us wanted to try.

Italy

The nice thing about the America pavilion is that the Food & Wine booths are by the seating and the kidcot, so you can get your food, sit down and be close enough to keep an eye on the kids.

So while the girls were colouring, the adults hit the booths! Kate and Andy basically got everything; New England Lobster Roll, Smoked Brisket and Pimento Cheese, and the Beer Flight - all good choices!

Jo and I were just going for the beer flight today, which consisted of:
  • New Belgium Brewing Fat Tire White Ale
  • Anchor Brewing Liberty Pale Ale
  • Orange Blossom Brewing Foxtail Cold Brew Coffee Pilsner

We got Isabella some Freshly Baked Carrot Cake for dessert - it looked yummy.

Beer flight and carrot cake

Jo and I shared the beers - my favourite was the Anchor Brewing Liberty Ale (I’ve tried it before); Jo liked the White Ale.

As we we sat and chatted, Jo told Kate and Andy about her ‘Defo Maybo Alco’ list which detailed which items she wanted to try at the F&W festival - I think they were impressed with Jo’s organisation!

Cheers

Bottoms up!

Defo Maybo Alco

Duffy!

Cake!

With the food - and Duffy’s - finished, next stop was Japan for Wasabi Shumai Steamed Pork Dumplings - they were good!

By now, it was 4:45pm - we’d been eating and drinking (and colouring) around the world for 3 hours - a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

The gang

Dumplings

We had now reached France. Jo and I got a St-Germaine Sparking Kir each, and a Croissant aux Escargots to share and then Kate suggested we all get a PhotoPass photo. This turned out to be a great idea - the photos are great

PhotoPass

After France we said goodbye to the World Showcase but we still had some Food & Wine to go.

Back in Future World, we stopped at The Wine & Dine Studio where we got some Seared Scallops and the girls took selfies with Isabella’s Kidizoom - the photos are super cute.

Scallops

Selfie

The Chocolate Studio was our next (and last) Food & Wine booth, where we all opted for the Liquid Nitro Chocolate-Almond Truffle.

Kate & Andy had one last Food & Wine item to try, on Jo’s recommendation: the Savoury Caramelised Onion Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese Tart from the Cheese Studio. We had it a few days before and it’s delicious - they agreed!

Liquid nitro chocolate

"Say cheese (studio)"

The time was now 6pm and unfortunately time for us to go our separate ways, so we took a slow walk towards the entrance.

We reached the exit, said our goodbyes, and headed to our respective bus stops - Isabella managed to get in some pin trading on the way.

Our bus arrived almost straight away and we waved goodbye to our Dibb friends as we departed.

Spaceship Earth by Isabella

Pin trading

Kate, Andy, and the girls are over there somewhere!

We’d had such a lovely afternoon, and as I said earlier, even though we’d only spent a few hours with Kate, Andy, Izzy & Imogen a year ago, it was like we’d known each other for year - there was absolutely no awkwardness and we managed to talk all the way round the world! If you’ve not read Kate’s version of this day - which she posted over 3 months ago (!) - then I suggest you go ahead and do so: https://DIBB.in/13018624.

We arrived ‘home’ and made our way up to the club lounge; by 6:50pm we were relaxing with a drink and a little bit of food - there’s always room for club lounge food.

Going 'home'

Yummy club lounge food

Isabella had some chill out time watching Disney Junior on the TV; she then had a snack before we headed back to the room at about 8:25pm.

Isabella was bathed and in bed by about 9pm. Jo and I followed at 9:30pm.

And that’s that. I hope you enjoyed our round-the-world Food & Wine adventure with Kate, Andy, and the girls. I’m sure we’ll get the opportunity do it again one day!

That’s all for now, until next time…

TFR
Old 2 May 18, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds like a really lovely day and cute photos of the girls
Old 2 May 18, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
beck_loz
Imagineer

beck_loz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Looks like you had a great day, thanks for sharing
beck_loz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

What a lovely day, great photos of the girls
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

A great day! I love the girls selfies!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

I'm loving your reports as always.
I find them so relaxing to read.
I think back to your early ones of Isabella with hardly any hair and look at her now.

That girl takes a great selfie!

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Nice to have a long sleep and not get up early after the excitement of the night before. A fun day with friends it looks like you had a brilliant time.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I can't believe how long Isabella slept for, she must have got a fright when she woke up and realised what time it was.

You can’t do this too me, Boma has been in and out of my plans more times than I can count! We love it but we’re trying to try some new places.

I love Jo’s list, there’s nothing quite like a spreadsheet.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

A fantastic day! Love the photo Isabella took of Spaceship Earth!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List