Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 8 Aug 18, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Split Stay Get Away - Day 8: “Parked in peacock and watched the bird show”

The Index

Friday 1st June 2018

After our late night, we decided to make an easy start to the day before heading over to Animal Kingdom for a return visit mid-morning.

By about 8:30am, Jo and I were awake drinking coffee and kefir (not at the same time!) in bed. Isabella woke up some time later, at about 9:45am - she doesn’t usually lie in that late!

After some morning cuddles, we had muffins and fruit for breakfast and then got ready for the morning’s fun.

We set off in the car for Animal Kingdom at about 11am. As we arrived we speculated as to where we’d be parking. When you arrive mid-morning on a busy day, you’re either really lucky and get in one of the car parks on the right like Peacock or Butterfly; or you’re unlucky and end up in Yeti - miles from the entrance. It was our lucky day: Peacock 8!

After parking, it was a short walk to the park entrance; by 11:40am we were already in Pandora in the FastPass line for the Na'vi River Journey.

Check out this number plate!

It was a hot and busy day in Animal Kingdom, and unsurprisingly Pandora, and it’s rides, were very busy - when are they not?!

Once we’d done Na’vi River Journey - the jury’s still out on this for me - we grabbed some lunch at Satu’li Canteen. Isabella had her usual Cheese Quesadillas, while Jo and I shared some Cheeseburger Steamed Pods and a Chopped Wood-Grilled Chicken Bowl.

Steamed Pods

Chicken Bowl

Quesadillas

The food was nice, although we didn’t love the Cheeseburger Pods and probably wouldn’t bother with them again as the bowls are much better.

We left Pandora and headed over to Harambe via the ‘back route’ which we’ve only ever done once or twice before. It’s a lot quieter than Discovery Island and very scenic.

The scenic route to Harambe

In Harambe - probably our favourite part of the park due to the atmosphere and theming - we decided to walk through the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail. As I mentioned, it was a really hot day today, and Isabella wasn’t in the mood to do her Wilderness Explorers Handbook; she had actually completed one last year anyway, so maybe after a break of a couple of years she’ll forget all about it and want to do it again.

The highlight of the trail for Jo was - and always is - the naked mole rats (“They don’t get cancer, and they can selectively self-abort foetuses in times of hardship!” - Jo). Personally I enjoyed seeing the red cardinal which wasn’t even part of the trail but was just chilling out on a box looking at the gorillas!

Jo loves the naked molerats!

Scenes from the trail

Red cardinal sittin' on a box

Gorillas

After the trail we had a FastPass for the new bird show - Up! A Great Bird Adventure - that had replaced Flights of Wonder, a favourite of ours.

Warung Outpost is right outside the entrance and this is where you get the Triple Yeti Blast from, featuring three types of frozen margaritas. Before we bought one, I checked with the CM that we were ok to take it into the theatre. Fortunately it was.

Just a couple of dogs wearing socks

I ordered the Triple Yeti Blast and bought Isabella a Shangri-La Berry Freeze which she’d enjoyed last time she tried it. Not this time around however, so I ended up drinking it with the odd sip of the Triple Yeti Blast - I was driving anyway so I didn’t want too much of the alcoholic drink.

Drinks in hand, we took our seats in the theatre. The show was ok, but it wasn’t better than Flights of Wonder and the inclusion of Dug and Russell seemed unnecessary and not particularly well done. However, I did get to take part by letting a bird fly beneath my raised arms - I had to stand along with the rest of the guests seated next to the aisle.

There were also a couple of parrots who sang and talked who were quite impressive, so the show definitely has some potential, and I’m prepared to give it another chance. Perhaps they’d be better just phasing out the pointless Dug and Russell storyline, like they did with the safari a few years ago (“Come in Simba One”).

Triple Yeti Blast!

Selfies

Up! A Great Bird Adventure

Edited at 09:35 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

When the show finished, our next FastPass was upon us - we were off to ride Dinosaur. Having not been on this ride for so many years, it’s now become a Sear Family Favourite; we all love it, even though Isabella has her eyes closed in the ride photo!

Once we’d gone through the Dinosaur FastPass line, Jo had managed to get a FastPass for Primeval Whirl, immediately afterwards. So after Dinosaur, we headed straight there via Chester & Hester's Dinosaur Treasures and the pressed penny machine.

Dinosaur

Not a dinosaur

Chester & Hester's Dinosaur Treasures

Isabella and I made a quick restroom stop and missed seeing Goofy on his way to his ‘Donald’s Dino-Bash!’ meet and greet; Jo got a high five but unfortunately no photo.

This was to be Isabella’s first time riding Primeval Whirl. We knew she was tall enough because the height limit was the same as Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. Jo and I haven’t ridden this ride for years, and to be honest have always found it a bit bumpy to say the least - unfortunately this was still the case. Jo got thrown about quite a bit; for a couple of days afterwards she suffered with a sore neck. However, Isabella loved it, so I’m sure we’ll be doing it again on our next visit.

First time!

Recreating the Goofy high five

Going way back in time!

Loved it!

The time was now 2:45pm and we’d had enough for today. On the way out of the park we stopped at the oversized Animal Kingdom 20th anniversary PhotoPass picture frame - it had been there all week celebrating 20 years of Animal Kingdom, but this was the first time we'd had the chance to get a photo.

There was a couple in front of us, and after they got their photo the photographer said to the lady "I love your hair", but the man (who had dreads in some elaborate style) thought he was talking to him and said "thank you" - his wife/girlfriend made sure to point out his mistake! It was funny!

After the photo we got a Peach Iced Tea from the Joffrey’s kiosk at the exit, which was really nice, even Isabella enjoyed it.

Mmmm peach iced tea

We were home by about 3:30pm and with nowhere to be this afternoon, decided to chill out in the condo. Some snacks were had, some trip report notes were written, some books were read, some TV was watched, and some internets were browsed. There was even a discussion about what tom do for our next holiday!

Snacks!

Writing

Reading

Some 'must dos' done

When it was eventually time to get ready to go out for dinner about an hour later something quite unexpected, and out of the ordinary, happened. Isabella had a massive meltdown.

We ended up sending her to her bedroom to calm down, where she continued to scream some quite random, and it must be said, hilarious things including:

“I wish my life was different!”
“I want to go back home!”
“I never want to go to Florida again!”
“I want to go to bed with no dinner!”

There were many more, and it was difficult not to laugh as she screamed them at the top of her voice. We let her wear herself out and eventually she calmed down, got dressed, and decided that she did like her life, Florida, her family, and would also quite like some dinner before bedtime!

Obviously the late night, coupled with the heat of our busy morning at Animal Kingdom had got the better of her. Don’t forget, this was our first holiday to Florida without the stroller, and considering how tired we were due to the heat and the crowds, she must’ve been absolutely exhausted. She hadn’t moaned at all either, so I think we can forgive her a little mid-afternoon meltdown; I’m sure we’ve all felt like that, even when we’re on holiday having a great time!

So we headed off, in the car, to the 192 and then down to LongHorn Steakhouse at Rolling Oaks - all in all it took about 10 minutes.

We checked in and were seated straight away. Drinks were ordered; Jo got a margarita, I got a Samuel Adams Summer Ale, Isabella had water.

Just like on our previous visit the server was great; really friendly and attentive. We ordered an appetizer of Fried Pickles to share; which was free of charge with a voucher that Jo had got for signing up online, just like with yesterday’s pancakes at IHOP.

For our mains we ordered the following:
  • Me: 12oz Prime Rib, with Fries and Caesar Salad
  • Jo: Ribeye Steak, with Idaho Baked Potato and Caesar Salad
  • Isabella: Chicken Tenders and Fries / Raspberry Smoothie
  • As you can see Isabella didn’t fancy the steak this time, even though she enjoyed it last time. Ah well, maybe next time! She did have a smoothie for dessert though which was nice.

Fried Pickles

Salad

Prime Rib

Ribeye

Chicken Tenders

Smoothie

Our steaks were lovely, as were the drinks and the free appetizer - a good meal all round.

By about 7pm we were done, so we popped to Super Target to get a few bits for the condo, and also have a look at the t-shirts. Jo ended up getting a Jurassic Park t-shirt - she always manages to get a cool t-shirt from there - clever girl…

Clever girl

Once we’d picked up a few essentials (and some non-essentials) we headed for home. Isabella had a bath as soon as we got in and went straight to bed.

Jo and I chilled out on the sofa with a beer and watched some TV till about 10:30pm.

That’s Day 8 done. Tomorrow is a Sear family first - we’re off to a water park!

TFR

Beers!

Old 9 Aug 18, 05:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Sounds like another great day - I shouldn't laugh but some of Isabella's meltdown mutterings were funny - I want to go to bed with no dinner is priceless!

Got to love that prime rib from Longhorn - still the best I've had.

Thanks for sharing.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

It is terrible but I had to laugh at Isabella’s meltdown, we’ve all been there, then there she is looking as angelic as can be at dinner.

Dinner looks great, especially the prime rib.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Enjoying your report!
There’s areas of animal Kingdom we didn’t see on our last visit and plan to now do after your photos 👍🏻
It is always unbelievabley hot at AK
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good day
Isabella’s melt down made me laugh

Joan
Old 9 Aug 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Poor Isabella, hopefully a good nights sleep will help.
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
A chilled day at AK, good idea for the doggie socks should imagine their poor little pads would be so hot on the concrete.

😂😂 Isabella’s meltdown bless her.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gusgusmummy
Imagineer

Gusgusmummy's Reviews
Mobile

Fantastic day, the food at longhorns 😍 I’m starving reading this !
Gusgusmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

I want to go to bed with no dinner
Glad she was soon back to normal!