Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Aug 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by doodles View Post
I would be very interested in the best bars to try. (I could wait in there while the kids queue.)
As a party of 3 adults we were delighted to find Baseline Taphouse in Hollywood Studios - sells craft beer, including beer flights and limited wine. Very adult oriented with only charcuterie platters to eat - we were actually amazed to see a couple of young children in there, really nothing for them.

Also - Dawa bar at Amimal Kingdom, good beer including craft, IPA’s and a Belgian triple! Plus cocktails and wine, not hard to find on the corner of a major junction.

I believe the Nomad Lounge at AK is also good but we didn’t try it.

It was great to be able to have an adult ‘pitstop’ amongst busy crowds, having been before and pacing ourselves we really appreciated these places.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I suspect most people aren’t aware of the ‘grown-up’ side of Disney and just think it is like spending a week at Alton Towers!
Absolutely, they think it's just Mickey!
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Wow, just seen how much debate this has caused, some good posts.
For what it's worth, I found the attitude very superior. I suspect the writer likes holidaying in a Yurt in Uzbekistan.
With or without kids 😂
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Of our first 10 visits before we had the boys, 9 were without children. I feel like Disney’s one of the few theme parks in the world I would go to without children. As we’re not big thrill riders, every where else is sitting holding the bags while the boys queue for the rollercoasters.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I suspect most people aren’t aware of the ‘grown-up’ side of Disney and just think it is like spending a week at Alton Towers!
Are you saying Alton Towers is only for parents with kids and not for adults?

That's just as much twaddle as that opinion piece from the Guardian.

(And, personally, I'd say a week at Disney was just the same as a week at Alton Towers. If Alton Towers had four theme parks, two water parks, warmer weather and better theming - not just on the rides themselves but throughout the parks. As an adult, I get just as much enjoyment from a day at AT as I have done from a day at AK)

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Are you saying Alton Towers is only for parents with kids and not for adults?

That's just as much twaddle as that opinion piece from the Guardian.

(And, personally, I'd say a week at Disney was just the same as a week at Alton Towers. If Alton Towers had four theme parks, two water parks, warmer weather and better theming - not just on the rides themselves but throughout the parks. As an adult, I get just as much enjoyment from a day at AT as I have done from a day at AK)
As a person with a disability that doesn’t conform to Alton Tower’s guidelines, I wouldn’t go back. BUT if it wasn’t for that, I would definitely go as an adult . I don’t think it compares to Disney, but I would love to go with my friends
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Woop woop, childless millenial over here!

I love going to Disney and Universal.
I certainly won't stop going any time soon. I can afford to go more now than I will be able to when I have children.

I would be interested to see the in park spend per childless millenial vs a mum with a couple of kids.

Why can't we all get the chance to enjoy being a kid again? What about those who didn't get a great childhood or had to grow up too quickly? Why can't they get to experience that magic?

My countdown is on, you'll see me & my OH at Xmas in matching couple disney themed shirts, with other disney accessories and matching ears waiting in line to meet all those wonderful characters that made me dream big as a little girl and allowed me to enter a fantasy world.

Edited at 12:42 PM.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

I can’t believe they’re going to talk about this on LW today!
As I said on the other thread, surely it’s a wind up?! 🤔

As for the question, all Disneyland/World is to me, is a theme park, just like any other theme park. We go for the rides. So, in my view it’s no different to going to Alton Towers without kids.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
As for the question, all Disneyland/World is to me, is a theme park, just like any other theme park. We go for the rides. So, in my view it’s no different to going to Alton Towers without kids.
Whereas I don’t go on many rides, and I could spend a month in WDW without going on a single ride and never be bored. I would be done with Alton Towers in half an hour!

There is so much to do that isn’t rides.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkspideruk
Imagineer

pinkspideruk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Childless millennial here too (just about) also have a good job which pays well and have worked since I was 16 and paid for myself to go to Uni (really hate the lazy M's, snowflakes stuff about millennial's - we arent all the same!) - started going to Disney and Orlando when I was 5 years old so have spent the last 32+years visiting Orlando (I do go other places I have 2 - 3 hols abroad a year but one is always the USA).

I'll continue to go to Disney and anywhere else I want to go - I'll queue up to meet and greet characters I want a photo with and yes if that means little Johnny has to wait 45 seconds more before seeing his fave character so be it - I've paid the same as everyone else and queued and absolutely have the right to enjoy the experience and its good for them to realise the world doesn't stop because they are 6 and having a tantrum - god help those parents when they hit their teen years!

As for other people's kids - I dont care about them being there to be honest most of the time I dont even notice them unless they are screaming blue murder for whatever reason.

I do like the idea of child free or age limited events though - our local museum and tech museum both do adult only evenings/ nights which are fabulous and a lot more chilled than going during the day just due to less numbers

Sep 01 - Sep 20 Universal Endless Summer Surfside
pinkspideruk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List