Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Using children to front online campaigns and youtube subscriptions

What are dibbers views on the use of children as promotional tools to front online campaigns and attract youtube subscribers.

A few days ago I watched the show by Stacey Dooley about the youtube family who share their kids it got me thinking about exploiting children to make a point.

Then today I read the article below. Concerning young girls who had started a petition (undoubtedly with parental help) to get companies to ban plastic free toys with meals.

Clearly young girls that age 9 & 7 cannot get 500 000 people to sign something and it was under parental influence who uses these children's images to gain support. How would they even know how to publicise it ?

After all it's cuter when you have a child fronting a campaign. No?

bbc/news/business-49738889

I also what's the story of the 14 year old who is CEO of a lollypop company, clearly her bright idea (and kids have a lot of them) would never have made a company without parental help, but it's clearly worked as it makes the news thus promotes the company. Clever idea by her dad to use her as the marketing face.

Or am I an old cynic?

Should we all be using our kids to make money?

Old 19 Sep 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Its no different from every movie child star ever.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

I dislike it intensely.

It gives a warped idea of life for children watching these YouTube channels. They think you can just put yourself on screen and people/companies will send you toys, makeup, holidays,etc.

For the children in them, having your life documented to that degree for financial benefit is wrong. How can you have a normal childhood when your constantly camera ready?
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
I dislike it intensely.

It gives a warped idea of life for children watching these YouTube channels. They think you can just put yourself on screen and people/companies will send you toys, makeup, holidays,etc.

For the children in them, having your life documented to that degree for financial benefit is wrong. How can you have a normal childhood when your constantly camera ready?
exactly this

my daughter used to watch the ingham ? family & thought it was great

i asked her if she would be happy if we had posted all her childhood dvd footage online , where it will be forever, without her consent...

agree its also a warped view of what constitutes a normal life being filmed every day and everything looking rosy 24/7

PS dont get me started in instagram 'influencers' or 'models' arrghhhh
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My 7 year old watches Ryan’s toy reviews, it’s insane just how much money that family is worth now for what was, essentially, him opening up toys that were sent to him

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Greta Thunberg.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Greta Thunberg.
Excuse you
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

I watched a couple of ‘family’/‘Children’s’ YouTube accounts, one of them is a gymnast and actually her parents are very good about what is put on (she does practice and comp vids mainly, now really ads, except for her own music) but their other family I started following as the girl was a gymnast, now the channel is a ‘family’ channel, it used to be really sweet, but actually as she’s grown up she’s started being a bit of a Diva! She has her own channel and most of it is ad/paid content. It’s such a shame as 2/3 years ago she was a sweet seeming young girl who wanted to do gymnastics!
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Greta Thunberg.
She was 15, she started alone taking time off school to protest outside the Swedish parliament. She was then joined by other students, I consider this different from using children to make a point or financial gain.

I agree child movie stars are in the same category but rather naively I presume they are closely monitored and there are some regulations regarding their employment.

They are probably given media training as well as psychological help.

Old 19 Sep 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I don't like It, end of.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List