Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Nov 16, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile Christmas day starters and puds.

So I'm cooking this year. I don't enjoy cooking and I'm not the greatest but I get an A* for effort.
Im contemplating doing starters but want something that is nt a faff and my children (3&5) might eat. We also don't eat pate,mushrooms or prawns. Is a starter worth the hassle? What do you make/buy?

Puddings
Normally it's a pre bought thing but maybe this year I 'll attemp something! Does anyone have any suggestions? Kids will just have ice cream. I'd like something I can make the day before.
Thank you
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 16, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

For starter we always have a fruit platter - sliced melon and pineapple, peeled and sliced kiwi, grapes, raspberries and strawberries.

For pud, my fave is something with lemon - lemon cheesecake, lemon meringue pie or lemon roulade. I find it really refreshing after a big meal.
Old 20 Nov 16, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

How about a cheesecake, maybe something fresh flavoured like orange or lemon? Or a mix of both as a St Clements cheesecake? Or a roulade or mousse?
I'll be making a vegetable soup to start as I can make it the day before and freeze the rest; or give it to the in laws to take home with them.
Old 20 Nov 16, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We have neither starter nor pud, other than a handful of quality street in the morning and a few After eights after...

The main meal is a big roast dinner. I see no point in adding more food and feeling uncomfortable, or making the best bit (roast dinner) smaller to accommodate extra stuff.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 16, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
We never have a starter - just get stuck into the main and then about an hour later think about Christmas pud!
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 16, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

For started we normally make a tomato and basil soup. For dessert it's usually a homemade trifle and a homemade vanilla cheesecake.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 16, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Don't have a starter but if the dinner is taking by longer than anticipated I get out the salmon mousse bits on a tray. Don't have a dessert until teatime as everyone is just too stuffed to even think about it until then, going to have trifles this year.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 16, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Galela1986
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We always go to my in laws and it's a big affair.
6 courses normally 🙈

Starter:
Selection of
Pate
Melon
Potato skins with bacon
Soup

And garlic bread for the kids unless they want some of the above

Fish course
Either prawn cocktail
Or scallops

Home made fish fingers and tomato sauce for the kids

Sorbet for all

Main course
Meats:
Turkey
Beef
Gammon
Venison

Mash/roast/new potatoes
Pigs in blankets
Yorkshire puddings
All seasonal veg
Gravy/ white sauce

Pudding:
Christmas pudding and brandy sauce
Lemon meringue
Chocolate cheesecake
Tiramisu

Coffees and mince pies & Christmas truffles for the kids..

An all day eating affair. 🙈
Galela1986 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 16, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Just reminded me of when the kids were young we all went to my sisters for Christmas lunch... she did a huge meal, problem was my kids really, really enjoyed the soup and we didn't cotton on that they hadn't realised there was a fish course, mains and then pud to follow...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 16, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Galela1986
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Oh dear.. the kids tend to leave the table and have a little play between courses, it's a relaxed affair even with all the courses, they seem to pick at every course rather than eat a full one.
Galela1986 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread