Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 29 May 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by dcmax View Post
Rather like cruise lines I would be interested to know how long they can keep this up until they have to admit defeat.. Unless the parks operate at or near capacity its practically impossible to make any sort of profit..

My gut feeling is they want to look like they are doing the right thing (and obeying the State phasing system) but are hoping back to norm will be sooner rather than later..
While Disney parks are huge money-makers, the real profits from the Walt Disney Company are from their media side. They will weather this storm pretty well compared to others

I don't think they want to look like they're doing the right thing, necessarily. I think they ARE doing the right thing because a) their employees' union is requiring it, b) obeying state, federal, and health guidelines is smart and safe, and c) the company has a solid reputation to uphold going forward.

I'm sure they are hoping to be back to norm sooner rather than later. But everyone is hoping that about everything.

Just my take.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by HeresYourEars View Post
While Disney parks are huge money-makers, the real profits from the Walt Disney Company are from their media side. They will weather this storm pretty well compared to others

I don't think they want to look like they're doing the right thing, necessarily. I think they ARE doing the right thing because a) their employees' union is requiring it, b) obeying state, federal, and health guidelines is smart and safe, and c) the company has a solid reputation to uphold going forward.

I'm sure they are hoping to be back to norm sooner rather than later. But everyone is hoping that about everything.

Just my take.
I think you are right in what you say Mary.

What surprises me with all the information that is coming out on a daily basis there are still those here in the UK who want to fly to Orlando - that's assuming the borders open in the foreseeable future of course.

People pay an awful lot of hard earned money to visit Orlando and the theme parks. For the next few months it seems as though that experience is not going to be there. Limited access, face masks, social distancing, no parades, no fireworks, limited hours, eating in the parks really limited.

That's not fun surely especially if you have children in tow.

Not my idea of a holiday I am afraid!
Old 29 May 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post

What surprises me with all the information that is coming out on a daily basis there are still those here in the UK who want to fly to Orlando - that's assuming the borders open in the foreseeable future of course.

People pay an awful lot of hard earned money to visit Orlando and the theme parks. For the next few months it seems as though that experience is not going to be there. Limited access, face masks, social distancing, no parades, no fireworks, limited hours, eating in the parks really limited.

I agree. I don’t get it, but I’m trying not to judge. There is clearly a dynamic that I don’t understand here. Why any tourist from outside of this country would want to come here right now is very strange to me. Other than perhaps to bite the bullet so as not to lose a lot of money.

Disney is almost asking, in a sly way, ‘don’t come here yet’. And if they’re asking Americans that they are most certainly asking non-Americans that.

Still if people are determined to come and if the borders open (and that’s really the big if), please do come and spend lots and lots and lots of dollars.
Old 30 May 20, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
coulty47
Apprentice Imagineer

The park hours up to October show water parks closed.
coulty47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazowskiscar
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I agree. I don’t get it, but I’m trying not to judge. There is clearly a dynamic that I don’t understand here. Why any tourist from outside of this country would want to come here right now is very strange to me. Other than perhaps to bite the bullet so as not to lose a lot of money. .
You’ve hit the nail on the head! It’s the money that’s been spent.

My Disney World trip is in late October. It’s a solo trip, as I am first going to a friend’s wedding who lives in Texas and I decided to add on Disney World on after as I have not visited for 8 years and it is a great time opportunity to go. My two hotels and flights are with BA as a package. Disney tickets already purchased separately from Disney itself.

BA will not let me do anything. After waiting 4 hours on hold and finally getting through to someone a few days ago, the poor woman sounded exhausted and said there is nothing they can do - if I change the date, I will need to pay something like £150 amendment fee per flight and per hotel - £600 is a lot of money! Plus of course the price difference for next year - the wedding is still happening as far as I’m aware but if I changed Disney to the next opportunity I can go, Christmas / New Year is still pretty risky being less than 2 months later and over a thousand pounds more, April time will cost a fortune as its American spring break (she said it would add about £1700 on to my break, plus the fees!) and October the hotel would be about the same but the flights are not available yet so can’t be moved. I don’t qualify for a voucher yet as it’s too far in advance. She said I really just need to wait for how the situation pans out and contact again in September.

So it’s not a case of me being a strange person wanting to visit in the midst of a pandemic. If the borders are closed, my problem is solved, I will check out prices and accept a voucher or a refund a replan for another time. But if the borders are open, Disney is open, my hotels are open... I won’t have an option but to go or end up with £2000 (hotels flights and tickets together) gone from my money and nothing to show for it.

So if that’s the case, I’ll go and make the most of it. I hate wearing a mask but I will. I’ll be very sad if there’s still no fireworks or shows like Fantasmic and the park hours are reduced like they are showing for October on MDE. But I know what I want to do and I will make the most out of it. I will take the slightly lesser hours as a chance to explore other resorts on property and try different restaurants and explore Disney springs. If MNSSHP is still taking place and tickets become available again I will probably buy one so that I get some additional fun. I wasn’t planning on going to Universal this time due to the added expense but probably will if the Disney restrictions are still so tight and Universals relax a bit.

So for me it’s not “I want to go to Disney whatever the situation I don’t care just let me in!” - which for some it seems to be! I just don’t want to loose money. I will make the most of whatever happens and go with the flow.

What I most want to know is how they will prioritise park bookings and chances of gaining entry are.

Have they suspended ticket sales because they think they can accommodate those who have purchased but no more?

Will they prioritise those with tickets, those staying on site who currently don’t have a ticket, or those with both? Will annual pass holders and DVC members get to go first?
I have paid for a 14 day Ultimate but have 9 days (including departure day, so 8 and a half) I can accept a day without access (I would try for Universal that day like I say) but I’m going because I want to be in the parks!

I’m very interested to see how it develops. I personally think they are being sensible and are will aware of the losses they will make this year.
Wazowskiscar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I agree. I don’t get it, but I’m trying not to judge. There is clearly a dynamic that I don’t understand here. Why any tourist from outside of this country would want to come here right now is very strange to me. Other than perhaps to bite the bullet so as not to lose a lot of money.

Disney is almost asking, in a sly way, ‘don’t come here yet’. And if they’re asking Americans that they are most certainly asking non-Americans that.

Still if people are determined to come and if the borders open (and that’s really the big if), please do come and spend lots and lots and lots of dollars.
I rescheduled my June California trip to October. I'm the type of person that if I lived in California I would be an AP holder for Disneyland. I am a solo traveler, I have not been financially hit by the lock down, my disposable income has not been affected, I am self employed and I have no kids.

I have been to Disneyland every year since 2010 and I have friends in LA. For me, my California trip is a time to spend with friends and to escape reality. I am totally fine with whatever restrictions, new procedures, entertainment, character meet and greets suspended, limited restaurants and anything else that Disney changes or removes.

I just want to be in Disneyland, I would be quite happy to sit on a bench on Main Street, see The Castle and experience the sights and sounds of Disneyland.

In LA I'm not the typical tourist, been there done that. What I want to do is go to the grocery store, buy some food and cook dinner for my friends, or we make a picnic and go for a hike up the Hollywood Hills, or we go for a drive along the Pacific Coast Highway and stop a beach somewhere. You know, things that locals do on their day off.

However that being said, I'm also very practical and logical. I'm stocking up on hand sanitisers, facemasks and facecoverings. I make choices based on my safety and comfort level. I know LA very well and know that I can choose locations and areas that I feel safe in.

Not everyone is the stereotypical European tourist who is in awe at The Hollywood Sign and wants the most perfect Disney Parks experiencelike they see on TV!
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post

I think some people expect the restrictions you mention to only last a month or two. I’ve seen people on Facebook shocked at the suggestion that it might last to the end of the year (and, for all we know, these restrictions might last well into next year).

So, for those going in, say, October (or later) they are hoping/expecting that things will be better. (End of Oct is 5 months away. As recent times have shown, a lot can change in 5 months). They still want to fly to Orlando because they hope/think things won’t be too bad.

I will also add that flying to Orlando and going to Disney World are two different things. If you’re not visiting WDW (or have changed plans to skip WDW) then I suspect restrictions won’t be any worse than they are here in the UK at the same time.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
I rescheduled my June California trip to October. I'm the type of person that if I lived in California I would be an AP holder for Disneyland. I am a solo traveler, I have not been financially hit by the lock down, my disposable income has not been affected, I am self employed and I have no kids.

I have been to Disneyland every year since 2010 and I have friends in LA. For me, my California trip is a time to spend with friends and to escape reality. I am totally fine with whatever restrictions, new procedures, entertainment, character meet and greets suspended, limited restaurants and anything else that Disney changes or removes.

I just want to be in Disneyland, I would be quite happy to sit on a bench on Main Street, see The Castle and experience the sights and sounds of Disneyland.

In LA I'm not the typical tourist, been there done that. What I want to do is go to the grocery store, buy some food and cook dinner for my friends, or we make a picnic and go for a hike up the Hollywood Hills, or we go for a drive along the Pacific Coast Highway and stop a beach somewhere. You know, things that locals do on their day off.

However that being said, I'm also very practical and logical. I'm stocking up on hand sanitisers, facemasks and facecoverings. I make choices based on my safety and comfort level. I know LA very well and know that I can choose locations and areas that I feel safe in.

Not everyone is the stereotypical European tourist who is in awe at The Hollywood Sign and wants the most perfect Disney Parks experiencelike they see on TV!
Now I feel that I would love you to be my LA/Disneyland guide!
Old 30 May 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I think some people expect the restrictions you mention to only last a month or two. I’ve seen people on Facebook shocked at the suggestion that it might last to the end of the year (and, for all we know, these restrictions might last well into next year).

So, for those going in, say, October (or later) they are hoping/expecting that things will be better. (End of Oct is 5 months away. As recent times have shown, a lot can change in 5 months). They still want to fly to Orlando because they hope/think things won’t be too bad.

I will also add that flying to Orlando and going to Disney World are two different things. If you’re not visiting WDW (or have changed plans to skip WDW) then I suspect restrictions won’t be any worse than they are here in the UK at the same time.
Nimbus I totally get what you’re saying. Thanks for your insight.
People here on this forum seem very optimistic indeed about the US. Much more optimistic than anyone I know. I think there’s a chance of some sort of normality for tourists this Fall if all goes well. Certainly not back to full speed but some kind of sense of normality. This summer, no way, unless a miracle happens. Which it might but I’m just saying I think that’s wildly optimistic.
Old 30 May 20, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Now I feel that I would love you to be my LA/Disneyland guide!
awww thanks

One of my most memorable LA experiences was June 2019. I visited The Museum of Tolerance, a Holocaust Memorial and Exhibition. While I was there I attended a talk by Renee Firestone, Alcatraz Survivor and shook her hand after the talk.

Edited at 11:31 AM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List