Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 11 Apr 15, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
**Leigh_11_22**
Helping Minnie

Day 14 - Beach and Illuminations

Here is a link to my pre-trip report and previous days:

Index - Pre-trip report and previous days

We were up at 7 today! Not much of a lie in, I just couldn't adjust to the time difference properly. We had a lazy morning and watch some TV etc. Tom attempted to make coffee in the room but they were rubbish! I eventually got ready and headed down to the lobby and found a little Starbucks stall. The hotel was quite busy this morning with some sort of conference going on and I felt like a bit of a tramp in my shorts and T-shirt!

Coffees and donuts in hand, I headed back up and started to pack. Tom had gone to the gym again while he could so we left the packed bags for him to take to the car and headed out to the beach. We decide to splash out and hire and umbrella and sun loungers for the day. I think it was roughly $20 which wasn't too bad but if we were there for longer I probably would've bought some from Walmart.

Tom came down after a while and had checked us out and out the cases in the car. We played with Aaron and made sandcastles. It was so much hotter today without the breeze! I'm a wimp and hid in the shade for most of the morning. Samantha headed up to the spa for her massage.

We had slushes and ice cream while we played. Aaron was so happy and content at the beach, he played really well by himself and made roller coasters in the sand. I slept and read for a couple of hours. Sam joined us again, she had really enjoyed her massage. She said the spa was amazing and they treated her really well, giving her flavoured waters etc suitable for erm soothing tiny hangovers

We were peckish now so decided on McDonald's as we were having a special dinner later on and it was just a 5 minute walk. The service was so bad in here. There was only one person serving and it took forever. The food wasn't too great to be honest and we didn't finish it.
Back to the beach for 20 minutes or so before we decided that we better head out if we were going to have time to shower and get ready for the night. We gave our sun loungers to a nearby mum and her kids to use for the rest of the day.

The journey home took an extra hour due to constant road works around Tampa. We took some time out back at the villa and had showers and Tom caught up on the washing. We were ready to head out on time, tonight we were going to Epcot for the first time and had an ADR booked for Tepan Edo.

Tonight was a bit of a shock for us. We had no idea that the atmosphere in the evenings of the food and wine festival is so rowdy! People were really really drunk by this time in the evening and we didn't like it. I know that I like to have a drink, but that's with a meal and certainly not to the point that I'm not aware of children (on a disney holiday!) around me! The amount of swearing and pushing going on was really not on and at one point we considered just giving up and leaving. After all, this is Disney! Rant over, sorry.

In the end we had a wonderful night and we put the drunk people behind us. Tepan Edo was one of the highlights of the trip. The service was amazing. They made special chopsticks for Aaron to use. There was a man with some sort of allergy at our table and the chef was really careful and made him a special meal.

Aaron loved the attention he got here and the chef was so good at the tricks and the show aspect of the meal, he was very entertaining. The food was all lovely and at first doesn't look like much but once you start eating it is really filling. Tom thought that it was a little rushed but I think that it was down to enjoying it and not wanting it to be over.

Once we had settled up we headed out and toward France. We had declined dessert as there is so much on offer in Epcot and we thought we would try something on our travels. I'd read on the Disney food blog about brioche ice cream sandwiches, so I set my mind on this. I ordered a hazelnut one with chocolate sauce but as soon as I walked out with it I changed my mind and decided I felt a little ill. Tom very kindly helped out and absolutely devoured it lol, he loved it. The others had ice cream in cones.

We sat and enjoyed these in France and there was a photopass photographer there which was a nice touch and we had some lovely photos taken.

Our only aim tonight was to watch illuminations, and I had luckily managed to bag a Fastpass for it. I know the Fastpass area for this gets mixed reviews but tonight I was glad that we had a designated space as it was heaving!

We got settled with lots of other families and Tom went off and found us some cold drinks and popcorn. We'd managed to get one of the last spaces near the railing so had a lovely view. There were kids about too who would be able to get in front once the fireworks started as there was plenty of space.

***Rant alert*** With about 5 minutes to go, a mum turned up with her son who must have been about 12 and was as tall as me, and told people to move so that he could get to the front! The whole crowd was incredulous and to be honest just shocked at her attitude. She was so rude. People very tactfully but firmly told her 'no' and that they had been here for over an hour with their own kids so that they would have a good spot. The people she was expecting to move were shorter than her lad! She made such a show of herself and a big fuss kicking off saying he's just a boy, it was embarrassing. The worst part was that it had been a lovely atmosphere and no one would have left her son with a bad view! She then proceeded to take it out on the CM and demanded to use the last space in the wheelchair section!

It was time for fireworks and the atmosphere was wonderful. Quote from Aaron when I asked about illuminations:

"The fireworks part was quite good and I liked it, but the bit with the world was a bit boring for me"

We had a great time, the fireworks here are truly amazing and I enjoyed every minute of it. The Americans are so patriotic aren't they! We chatted to the other families around us and it was lovely to hear about their holidays too.

Once it had finished we joined the crowds and headed out. The car park was backed up and it took us a good while to get on the road. We then hit road works down the I4 and ended up taking a diversion as we couldn't bear sitting there without moving! Home and in bed with no set plans for tomorrow other than to have a well-earned lie in.

It's hard work this holiday lark!

Edited at 10:33 AM.
**Leigh_11_22** is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 15, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Sounds like you all really liked your break in Clearwater

Was it a weekend night you were at Epcot? I’ve heard they are bad for drunk folk during the F&W Festival! How off putting

OMG I can’t believe that woman at Illuminations! Some folk just have no shame do they?!

xx
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 15, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
**Leigh_11_22**
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Sounds like you all really liked your break in Clearwater

Was it a weekend night you were at Epcot? I’ve heard they are bad for drunk folk during the F&W Festival! How off putting

OMG I can’t believe that woman at Illuminations! Some folk just have no shame do they?!

xx
We did, it was a lovely break.

I know, she was so rude - all she did was make herself look stupid! We still enjoyed it!

Thanks for reading xx
**Leigh_11_22** is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List