Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 22, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
disneygodmum
I want to go now!

Has anyone ever had a DVT?

I was just looking for anyone else's experiences as I was diagnosed with a large DVT in the top of my leg this week. I was wondering about recovery and if anyone has any tips. I am on heparin injections currently. Many thanks.
disneygodmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Slightly different but also same ball park….

I’ve had two sets of Pulmonary Embolism and was on injections - Tinzaparin - for them initially but other than that I wasn’t told anything would assist. Second bout earnt me a week in hospital mind and a lot was done to try and find the root cause, non found, but I just took each day as it came.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I have. Was about 10 years ago.

I had broken my foot and got the dvt from being immobilised in plaster.

When they found the dvt I had to have daily clexane(sp?) injections for a few weeks and warfarin for 3 months. The injections get easier, you’ll get used to doing them quickly. I did find I got quite a lot of bruising from them, I’m not someone that bruises easily at all, try to avoid the bruising when injecting as that can be very painful. Is it still into the tummy? I found pinching the skin well up made it easier.

I had to attend the warfarin clinic weekly to have my levels tested and they would amend the dosage.

As I understood it the appointments would have changed to be less frequent had my levels stabilised with the warfarin but the didn’t so it continued to be weekly.

After the three months I was discharged and have had no further issues.

I had to declare on my travel insurance for a few years, don’t have to now as the questions usually cover a set period which I’ve fallen out of.
Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
disneygodmum
I want to go now!

Thank you to both. Really helpful. Yes, I am on clexane too and into the tummy. Mine is a puzzle at the moment but I will need 6 months of treatment. Good to know that the appointments may become less often depending on levels etc.
disneygodmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Ah yes that brought back memories from my first bout. Injections then warfarin for six months - this was adjusted fortnightly I think - then signed off as I was ‘too young’ for lifelong medication. After my second bout, which was 12yrs later, I had injections and now on a daily blood thinning tablet which doesn’t require check-up’s or blood tests. Rivoroxiban.

Edited at 10:32 PM.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

My DH has an inherited blood disorder which resulted in a number of DVTs and PEs while in Florida and on our return, over 20 years ago now. What fun the high intensity ward in Celebration was for our 2 week holiday!

He was just 50 but his brother has had lots since he was 18. They are both on Warfarin for life and go for blood tests according to their inr results, my DH has to wear a stocking - has to be put on as he gets out of bed. Fingers crossed he has been fine, his inr is stable and it only affected him when he had his kidney out and he had to come off the warfarin. His brother can’t get his inr stable even after being treated for 40 years but on the whole has no problems. We have travelled all over the world since without a problem, his history put his insurance up marginally but actually less than my diabetes.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
disneygodmum
I want to go now!

Thank you. That's all helpful to hear. What a tricky time that was Paw. Hopefully they find a reason why it's happened. I am getting used to giving the injections. Unfortunately struggling with the stocking but I wonder if the size is wrong.