Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 30 Apr 22, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarica
Gone all Goofy

“Is it time to relax yet?” - New York February 2022 Day 1

Sunday 20th February 2022 - Day 1

Alarm went off at 5.40am. I checked the temperature outside, the real feel was -12 degrees Celsius. We got ready and headed to IHOP just after 6am. Purchased a 7 day subway pass ($34 each).
We took the 6 train from 51st St to 14th St- Union Square. On the subway, I realised I left my travel sickness tablets in the hotel for Statue of Liberty ferry, we popped into a Duane Reade for some and Dan picked up some Compeed for his blisters on his feet.

We had a short wait at IHOP (clearly 6.45am was a popular time to eat on a Sunday!), showed our covid passes, took our temperature then we were seated.

I ordered a coffee (wanted an iced coffee but they do them at the moment) and an iced water. I debated between the Tres Leche pancakes or the cinnamon and cream cheese frosting pancakes. I ended up going for the cinnamon and the cream cheese frosting pancakes with a side of hash browns. Oh how I’ve missed American hash browns. 😍

My pancakes were unreal but very sickly so only ate half. Dan had a decaff coffee with a pancake combo (buttermilk pancakes, sunnyside up eggs, crispy bacon and hash brown) and said it was delicious.

Our server was lovely. One thing I didn’t like was that we were given disposable plastic cutlery. We settled up the bill ($54.85 including an additional covid surcharge) and headed down to Bowling Green to get the first SoL ferry of the day at 9.30am.
For Dan’s birthday I purchased New York City Passes since it was his first trip and wanted to do as much as possible (highly recommend these for first timers, these cost $250 each as I had a discount code).

Waited in line from 8.30 and went through airport style security then another line before boarding the ferry so time for some selfies!

It was bitterly cold by this point so covered my face with my scarf, Dan put his face mask on.

Dan thought I was crazy wanting to arrive early but thanked me when he realised not everyone was getting on the ferry. They had a 40 minute wait before the next departure.

Our boat was Miss New Jersey.

We sat at the top of the deck 🤢🥶 still a real feel of -7 with hardly any clouds in the sky and the cool winter sun. Advantage of the top deck is the panoramic view around.

Once docked, Dan was in awe of the Manhattan skyline view. He was completely speechless and breathtaking.

We had a wander around the Statue of Liberty museum which seemed to be quiet new, few little exhibitions in there then we got the ferry to Ellis Island. Some exhibits were off due to covid but there was still a lot to see. Going back to New York in my late 20s definitely has made me appreciate Ellis Island a lot more. The stories and journeys of people moving to the USA for a better life was emotional and moving.

View from the ferry back to the city.
Arrived back in Manhattan around 1pm and got some cheese fries ($5) from Nathan’s, the best in the world.

Dan wanted to go to somewhere which did dumplings but it was closed so went to Joe’s in the Financial District. I chose a slice of fresh mozzarella with a bottle of Coke, while Dan got a slice of cheese and a slice of pepperoni.

We both loved our slices and wanted to go back again later in the holiday.

Walked over to Wall St a few blocks away.

I noticed the new Westfield World Trade Center shopping centre, popped inside to have a little look. Contains a mix of high end and high street stores, like Sephora and H&M.

Then on to the 9/11 Museum. Incredibly harrowing and emotional. We heard last phone calls and voicemails of those who died on the planes, trying to make phone calls to loved ones to tell them what was happening. There was a room full of photos of each person who died that day.
No photos were allowed in the museum, which is completely understandable. It meant we could take it all in and pay our respects. Ground Zero was just right outside.

After, we went to One World Observatory.

Once we got to floor 102, we got out of the elevator and there was a large screen playing different clips of the city. All of a sudden, the screens shoot up and you’re left viewing the entire city. Breath taking.

Dan couldn’t get over the height! He had to hold on to the frame around the glass as he was worried about falling through. 😂

Both of us were tired by this point and beginning to flag by this point. We definitely didn’t appreciate it as much as we should. It was very hot up there with the sun beating down on the glass. I’d hate to know how hot it gets in the summer!

Dunkin Doughnuts a few blocks away was calling us for a break at 4pm. I got a jelly doughnut with a strawberry & coconut refresher drink, which I didn’t enjoy.

Dan got a glazed doughnut with a black (decaff) coffee. The guy kept asking him to say different things because of his accent, it was hilarious! So the guy gave him a free doughnut. We sat in for around 40/50 mins to give our poor feet a break. I got a caramel craze latte to go while we did the Brooklyn Bridge walk around dusk. Headed on over to Chambers St to get the 2 or 3 train over to Brooklyn.
Sunset was expected at 5.30pm ish but got out of Clark St station at 5pm.
The bridge was rammed. Most people walked in the opposite direction to us, going from Manhattan to Brooklyn. I was a little nervous about going over as the wood was creaky in places!

Got back on the subway then to the hotel for a little rest before going to Tacombi for dinner. Dan LOVED his food. I’ve been here before part of a food tour but the NoLita branch. The one Dan and I visited was under the Empire State Building. Dan chose a agua de pina which I tried and ordered one for myself. Very refreshing. For food, I ordered the corn, black bean & sweet potato taco and a mushroom quesadilla.

Food came to $41.71 before tip.

We headed back via a Walgreen’s to get Dan some cold tablets, typically I had a cold the previous week which I must have gave to him. I went to Starbucks too and got a brown sugar oat latte. 10/10! Very delicious. Really enjoyed it. Since they’ve released this in the UK and isn’t anywhere near as nice as the US version.
Nipped into ESB lobby to take this pic. 😀

Straight back to the hotel and into bed by 10.30pm.

Step count: 21,508
9.5 miles

Day 2

Edited at 12:30 PM.
Clarica is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 22, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clarica View Post
Sunday 20th February 2022 - Day 1

Alarm went off at 5.40am. I checked the temperature outside, the real feel was -12 degrees Celsius. We got ready and headed to IHOP just after 6am. Purchased a 7 day subway pass ($34 each).
We took the 6 train from 51st St to 14th St- Union Square. On the subway, I realised I left my travel sickness tablets in the hotel for Statue of Liberty ferry, we popped into a Duane Reade for some and Dan picked up some Compeed for his blisters on his feet.

We had a short wait at IHOP (clearly 6.45am was a popular time to eat on a Sunday!), showed our covid passes, took our temperature then we were seated.

I ordered a coffee (wanted an iced coffee but they do them at the moment) and an iced water with cinnamon and cream cheese frosting pancakes with a side of hash browns. Oh how I’ve missed American hash browns. 😍

My pancakes were unreal but very sickly so only ate half. Dan had a decaff coffee with a pancake combo (buttermilk pancakes, sunnyside up eggs, crispy bacon and hash brown) and said it was delicious.

Our server was lovely. One thing I didn’t like was that we were given disposable plastic cutlery. We settled up the bill ($54.85 including an additional covid surcharge) and headed down to Bowling Green to get the first SoL ferry of the day at 9.30am.
For Dan’s birthday I purchased New York City Passes since it was his first trip and wanted to do as much as possible (highly recommend these for first timers, these cost $250 each as I had a discount code).

Waited in line from 8.30 and went through airport style security then another line before boarding the ferry so time for some selfies!

It was bitterly cold by this point so covered my face with my scarf, Dan put his face mask on.

Dan thought I was crazy wanting to arrive early but thanked me when he realised not everyone was getting on the ferry. They had a 40 minute wait before the next departure.

Our boat was Miss New Jersey.

We sat at the top of the deck 🤢🥶 still a real feel of -7 with hardly any clouds in the sky and the cool winter sun. Advantage of the top deck is the panoramic view around.

Once docked, Dan was in awe of the Manhattan skyline view. He was completely speechless and breathtaking.

We had a wander around the Statue of Liberty museum which seemed to be quiet new, few little exhibitions in there then we got the ferry to Ellis Island. Some exhibits were off due to covid but there was still a lot to see. Going back to New York in my late 20s definitely has made me appreciate Ellis Island a lot more. The stories and journeys of people moving to the USA for a better life was emotional and moving.

View from the ferry back to the city.
Arrived back in Manhattan around 1pm and got some cheese fries ($5) from Nathan’s, the best in the world.

Dan wanted to go to somewhere which did dumplings but it was closed so went to Joe’s in the Financial District. I chose a slice of fresh mozzarella with a bottle of Coke, while Dan got a slice of cheese and a slice of pepperoni.

We both loved our slices and wanted to go back again later in the holiday.

Walked over to Wall St a few blocks away.

I noticed the new Westfield World Trade Center shopping centre, popped inside to have a little look. Contains a mix of high end and high street stores, like Sephora and H&M.

Then on to the 9/11 Museum. Incredibly harrowing and emotional. We heard last phone calls and voicemails of those who died on the planes, trying to make phone calls to loved ones to tell them what was happening. There was a room full of photos of each person who died that day.
No photos were allowed in the museum, which is completely understandable. It meant we could take it all in and pay our respects. Ground Zero was just right outside.

After, we went to One World Observatory.

Once we got to floor 102, we got out of the elevator and there was a large screen playing different clips of the city. All of a sudden, the screens shoot up and you’re left viewing the entire city. Breath taking.

Dan couldn’t get over the height! He had to hold on to the frame around the glass as he was worried about falling through. 😂

Both of us were tired by this point and beginning to flag by this point. We definitely didn’t appreciate it as much as we should. It was very hot up there with the sun beating down on the glass. I’d hate to know how hot it gets in the summer!

Dunkin Doughnuts a few blocks away was calling us for a break at 4pm. I got a jelly doughnut with a strawberry & coconut refresher drink, which I didn’t enjoy.

Dan got a glazed doughnut with a black (decaff) coffee. The guy kept asking him to say different things because of his accent, it was hilarious! So the guy gave him a free doughnut. We sat in for around 40/50 mins to give our poor feet a break. I got a caramel craze latte to go while we did the Brooklyn Bridge walk around dusk. Sunset was expected at 5.45pm but got out of Clark St station at 5pm.
The bridge was rammed. Most people walked in the opposite direction to us, going from Manhattan to Brooklyn. I was a little nervous about going over as the wood was creaky in places!

Got back on the subway then to the hotel for a little rest before going to Tacombi for dinner. Dan LOVED his food. I’ve been here before part of a food tour but the NoLita branch. The one Dan and I visited was under the Empire State Building. Dan chose a agua de pina which I tried and ordered one for myself. Very refreshing. For food, I ordered the corn, black bean & sweet potato taco and a mushroom quesadilla.

Food came to $41.71 before tip.

We headed back via a Walgreen’s to get Dan some cold tablets, typically I had a cold the previous week which I must have gave to him. I went to Starbucks too and got a brown sugar oat latte. 10/10! Very delicious. Really enjoyed it. Since they’ve released this in the UK and isn’t anywhere near as nice as the US version.
Nipped into ESB lobby to take this pic. 😀

Straight back to the hotel and into bed by 10.30pm.

Step count: 21,508
9.5 miles
WOW what a brilliant day, we went to that IHOP too, I think it’s the only one in NY, we had a struggle to find it 🤷🤦
Beautiful pics from One World which we loved, although the queue system was horrendous 😬
You’ve had all my favs in one day
Pancakes
Pizza
Dunkin Donuts 🍩
😋😋😋

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 22, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Ali23
Getting Excited

9.5 miles 😳 lol , I need to get into shape 😬
Great trip report ,again I loved reading it.
When you left the Financial district did you get a train to Brooklyn bridge or walk from the Financial district to the bridge?
All your food looked lovely too.
Looking forward to day 2 😄
Ali23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 22, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarica
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
WOW what a brilliant day, we went to that IHOP too, I think it’s the only one in NY, we had a struggle to find it 🤷🤦
Beautiful pics from One World which we loved, although the queue system was horrendous 😬
You’ve had all my favs in one day
Pancakes
Pizza
Dunkin Donuts 🍩
😋😋😋
Thank you!
I was surprised there was only one IHOP and it’s not exactly in the best location either.
Missing New York food right now… 😭
Clarica is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 22, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarica
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Ali23 View Post
9.5 miles 😳 lol , I need to get into shape 😬
Great trip report ,again I loved reading it.
When you left the Financial district did you get a train to Brooklyn bridge or walk from the Financial district to the bridge?
All your food looked lovely too.
Looking forward to day 2 😄
It definitely didn’t feel like we did that much walking! But suppose we were out for 13 hours without heading back to the hotel. I think lots of coffees and snack breaks helped. ☺️
Oops, sorry! Didn’t realise I make it very clear with the Brooklyn Bridge walk. We got the subway from Chambers St to Clark St, just a 5 minute walk away from Brooklyn Bridge. I recommend walking from Brooklyn so you have the Manhattan skyline in front of you as you’re walking - absolutely stunning! 😍
Old 2 May 22, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

What a lovely busy day Lady Liberty was looking as lovely as ever, just how great is the view over to Manhattan from her and I just loved the whole One World experience
Old 2 May 22, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Wow I can’t believe how much you did on day 1 !
Your pancakes looked delicious 😋
We found the 911 museum so touching, the volunteers are amazing people , I cried so much
Dunkin is my favourite donut place ever 🍩🍩🍩🍩
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Wow you packed a lot in for sure
The food looked amazing, making me want American food right now 🌭🍕
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Ali23
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Clarica View Post
It definitely didn’t feel like we did that much walking! But suppose we were out for 13 hours without heading back to the hotel. I think lots of coffees and snack breaks helped. ☺️
Oops, sorry! Didn’t realise I make it very clear with the Brooklyn Bridge walk. We got the subway from Chambers St to Clark St, just a 5 minute walk away from Brooklyn Bridge. I recommend walking from Brooklyn so you have the Manhattan skyline in front of you as you’re walking - absolutely stunning! 😍
No sorry it was me I’ve read it wrong ! Thanks though I’ll take note of that train as I want to walk back across the bridge as you did 👍
Ali23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 22, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Clarica
Gone all Goofy

Thanks so much for everyone’s lovely comments!
It’s been tough writing the trip report… thinking of all the food 😭🍩