Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jul 22, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
My cousin done this about 2 years ago , coming up to her 50s .
BA out of London - loves it
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I am contemplating a change (51) too. My sister passed away a couple of weeks ago and it’s made me re-evaluate my whole life.
Life is very short and sometimes it’s pretty rubbish so you must do the things that burn the candle brightest for you. If you can afford it, then do it. You will lose nothing but your own time if it doesn’t work out.

Very best of luck with your future ventures. Wishing you health and happiness!

Joa
Old 3 Jul 22, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
55 years old... 32 years government IT maintaining and dev of mainframes... basically job is finishing in next few months so refusing to train up on new systems so if all comes to plan i will be looking to do the same... looking at VR in which the money will be ploughed into my pension in which i will take early... lump sum will be going towards a buy to let deposit in which we will be putting our daughter up... and then when she is up and running we will rent out property... in meantime we live 5 min drive from Southend london airport... looking to get 3 days work a week to get me out the house...

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

I’m 40 this year and an opportunity may have just presented itself to me. A job has been advertised at my daughters (and sort of mine,) gymnastics club, and I hold all the relevant qualifications for it, problem is I’ve been out of doing it for 16 years and only just started going in again in the last 9 months because my daughter goes and they know I’m qualified and said “why don’t you help out since you’re here.”

Also as mentioned before DH is self employed, so it presents a whole host of other issues, for when he is working and the activities my daughter does as well.

I’ve not been happy in my current job for a year, and totally miserable the last couple of months and just had an awful week last week, and while I want to get a promotion (that I posted about before,) the company don’t seem to be willing or helping me achieve that, I’ve literally been on at them for 6 months to move me to another role, I’ve been typecasted in the role I’m doing (which really p****d me off, as they put me in this role,) and last week I got told off for trying to help someone (that is a first for me.) I thought I’d feel better over the weekend, but I cannot get myself motivated this morning at all. I’ve been here 13 years this week, and I think it’s time for a change.
2026 - maybe...
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
colzo100
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I’m nearly 40 and have recently taken the plunge for a complete career change which I’ve spoken about on here before.
I’m semi leaving my job in beauty and am joining BA to be cabin crew. It’s been a long process but I finally have my start date for September 26th.
I naively thought I would be one of the eldest and surrounded by youngsters in their early 20’s but I couldn’t have been more wrong!
In my training group there is a lady who is 60 this year. Worked in education for her entire career, didn’t want to retire, loves to travel so went for it! We also have a 51 and 46 year old.
If it’s something you want to do and can afford the wage drop then go for it!
I’m trying to live by the mantra to regret the things I did and not the things I didn’t 😊
That’s great to hear! Best of luck to you. Hope you enjoy it. I’ll need to wait 2 years until I retire but there should always be jobs somewhere
2019 & 2022 - Cabana Bay
2024 - Beach Club & Key West
colzo100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I actually retired from a career IT at 53 and became a Facilities Manager for an organisation as a volunteer. This dragged me into organising many Covid Tax clinics on our site.
Something totally different and tbh., much more interesting. Being a volunteer, I can do as many or as few hours as I wish.
Best move I ever made - getting away from all the corporate crap!

I'd say "go for it!"
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
colzo100
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Not sure what airline you would want to work for but I can promise you that BA are very inclusive and have staff of all ages and backgrounds!
I wouldn’t be too fussy! Thanks for the reply
2019 & 2022 - Cabana Bay
2024 - Beach Club & Key West
colzo100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Go for it! As you said you can always go back to nursing if it doesn’t work out!
You ll only regret not giving it a go
Come back and let us know what it is!
Old 4 Jul 22, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Hi

I retired at 51 from the Police after 30 years service.

I am now a youth and we’ll being officer in a college.

Both very different.
Old 4 Jul 22, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
Hi

I retired at 51 from the Police after 30 years service.

I am now a youth and we’ll being officer in a college.

Both very different.
Wow ! Not only a career change but gone back in time as well, did you use a delorean like Marty McFly 😉
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List