Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 25 Jul 22, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Updated . Day 7 #80

In which prawns masquerade as Lobsters and I visit some shops but don’t buy anything. Yes, you read that right
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Your little trip away from the hotel looked so pretty Amanda
the shops look so cute and what a view at the end of the road 🥰
Your lunch looked very nice and tonight you had my favourite cocktail “the Cosmopolitan “ 😋😋😋
Just a little observation that the bread this evening reminds me of the Cheesecake Factory bread
Lovely evening view from your balcony xx
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

The shops looked very picturesque- well done on not buying anything (yet…)

A shame that dinner didn’t live up to expectations!

Love the morning and evening photos from your balcony!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
Your little trip away from the hotel looked so pretty Amanda
the shops look so cute and what a view at the end of the road 🥰
Your lunch looked very nice and tonight you had my favourite cocktail “the Cosmopolitan “ 😋😋😋
Just a little observation that the bread this evening reminds me of the Cheesecake Factory bread
Lovely evening view from your balcony xx
Ha ha, the Cosmo. Underrated and bit out of fashion but it’s such a classic isn’t it! I’d asked for a Hurricane and then a Painkiller but they didn’t know those so I went old school

Mmm good spot. It was very tasty bread too!
It was a nice day. Bit too much activity in the heat

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
The shops looked very picturesque- well done on not buying anything (yet…)

A shame that dinner didn’t live up to expectations!

Love the morning and evening photos from your balcony!
I don’t think I will tire of the view. It’s been one of the standout things from the trip. We are trying it again so fingers crossed!
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

I’m impressed you,haven’t bought anything! Hope the bites are getting better soon.
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 22, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
I’m impressed you,haven’t bought anything! Hope the bites are getting better soon.
Hello
Still no purchases I am thinking about a piece with their Larimar stone in (pale blue) but not sure I would wear it. The other stone you see a lot of here is amber, but I have some pieces of that already. Could be a no purchase trip!

My bites have improved. Andy’s just got a couple of nasty ones tho.
Old 26 Jul 22, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
We were both up early this morning.

Obligatory sunrise

We decided to venture out while it was quiet and cool. We’d realised the buildings we could see were “Caribbean Street”. A row of shops which is appaz a common thing in hotel complexes like this. We’ve never seen many people on the road or heard much noise so we assumed it must not be open again post COVID.

So it was a left turn at reception and out straight onto the roadway which separates this hotel from two others and the nightclub

The stores looked quaint

I quite fancy some of the coloured glassware and the coffee

Not forgetting the season’s must have toiletry of whale sperm shampoo and conditioner

We could see our balcony between the buildings( middle one)

There was so much stock in the stores we thought they must be open at some point and we’d come back later.

We had a nosy round the other hotels. They seem more modern and bigger than the one we are in

And lots of these beautiful fan shaped Travellers Palms

Beach was busy with instagrammers either side of this tree getting the perfect shots

We were back just as breakfast had started and that meant we we were also early at the pool.

It’s noticeably busier this week, and the lounge baggers have arrived claiming their spots with towels before breakfast. There has been almost none of that in the last week.

Having been bitten even using Deet based bug spray, I tried out the alternative to see if that was better.

With a mojito as well.

It didn’t work

Andy got chatting to some people round the pool so I went back to the street to look inside the stores.

It was busier but not packed

I realised everything was priced in pesos but we’d been using dollars and I had no idea on the exchange rate so will need to come back once I’ve worked out what stuff actually costs

Back to the hotel.
I liked the leaf prints in the concrete

Lunch was in the Fusion restaurant.

Over this week we worked out hardly anyone makes their way here. At lunch yesterday we were the only people in there. And yet the buffet is packed out.

Definitely worth a walk round the corner

Caesar salad to start

Beef and chicken skewers for Andy

Club sandwich for me

All delicious. And very crispy wedges

Dessert was a slightly odd profiterole filled with strawberry ice cream . This didn’t quite work

Such a perfect spot on the beach

A few more hours in the shade for us

And then the bar before dinner

Cosmopolitan and Raspberry martini for me

G&T and Whiskey sour for Andy

We made it to the steakhouse tonight , hurrah

Crab cakes and Caesar salad to start.

These arrive without you asking - mandatory appetisers!

Very nice though

I went for surf and turf as it’s the fillet and I gave Andy the prawns.

Which are listed as lobster on the menu but are clearly not

There is some criticism that the sides are lukewarm.

You can see when you arrive they have these dished up and under heat lamps so they aren’t at their best.

The fillet was ok , not as good as the other restaurant

Andy went for the ribeye which was again ok, but not amazing

Dessert was the worst so far.

Purporting to be an apple pie, it was 90% stodgy pastry and a teaspoon of apple. Quite disappointing

Mixed success then.

Not the fabulous food we were hoping for but less chaotic than the buffet.

End of day balcony pic

I follow the Stormcaribe network in the summer, as alongside NOAA, it’s a great source of info on hurricane and other activity.

Each Caribbean island has a correspondent who reports in.

One lady always posts an end of day photo from somewhere on her island. She inspired me to take the start and end of day pics on the balcony
Those shops look so so cute your hotel really is lovely, so pretty 🥰
Sorry about your choice of dessert too, I mean who does profiterole with strawberry ice cream 🤷🤷🤷

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 22, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Day 8 Easy Breezy does it

Hmmm, trip day content getting thinner now We really are not doing anything!

Customary sunrise

I just love how the sky changes colour each morning

I have now finished these three books.

Lamplighters was a novel plot (geddit) and still leaves you wondering at the end
Perfect Lie is a murder mystery with a twist and the Man who Died Twice is a classic whodunnit and a lovely easy read.

Richard and Judy Bookclub here I come

As it’s been a few days, here is breakfast. I’m now upped my game into several plate territory.

Savoury

Then sweet

And those cinnamon sugar cakes are for elevenses later

As we left breakfast the heavens opened so we sat on the terrace for a bit

And here is the bar

The rain is torrential but over in minutes

This summed up the day ahead

It was super windy today - I could only capture it by showing how it was blowing out my beach wrap like a sail

The towel hut here also has a small book bar - great idea to leave books you’ve finished and pick up some new ones. Andy got this one for me

Along with a Sunrise.

The book was excellent - very Stephen King. I couldn’t put it down and read it in one go over the day.

Stopping only briefly to take in the view

And lunch

Which was again a quiet affair in the Fusion restaurant.

Cheeseburgers for both of us

Bit salty though

Dessert was a Dominican majorette - turns out that’s a corn custard pudding. Looks a bit like cat sick and quite an acquired taste.

Just think Jolly Green Giant meets custard.

Taxing walk back to the beach

More reading and no idea what that drink was. Probably another Sunrise

A Blue Coral was consumed

Mojitos followed

We were headed to try out the Japanese restaurant tonight which is at the end of the buffet place. But as we passed through we saw a lot of Mexican food and decided to stay here. The little tortillas were being cooked on demand at a chefs station and were delicious

Dessert choices were good tonight

The lemon meringue and coffee sponge we knew were good, the strawberry mousse was a bit too sweet, lemon cheesecake and coconut key lime pie were lovely. Best was the little caramel nut pie. Jackpot.

Andy had decided to go fishing so needs to be up early and my bites are troubling me on my hand. It’s started to swell and is quite stiff so playing cards tonight was off the table.
Old 26 Jul 22, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Updated post#88 Day 8

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Those shops look so so cute your hotel really is lovely, so pretty 🥰
Sorry about your choice of dessert too, I mean who does profiterole with strawberry ice cream 🤷🤷🤷
I know right - totally weird. It’s not like they don’t use cream on the other desserts ! The weird desserts continued the next two days as well And strawberry as well. Chocolate or vanilla might have been better
Old 26 Jul 22, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Reading is an activity so you aren’t really doing nothing

The desserts in the evening looked great but the corn thing looked all wrong

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List