Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 13 Aug 22, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

The food at Ale and Compass looks great and Sanaa is one of our favourites. The bread service is yummy. Your portion in Millers looks huge; it's no wonder you couldn't finish it.
I'm not surprised you needed a sit down after RRR. That's another one that I'm certainly not getting on. The girls love it though!
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Millers and new hotel look great.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Finally got to Millers, yay. Hope you enjoy the hulk.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
Love love love cheese with anything so it would be right up my street
So do I, soft cheese, smelly cheese, blue cheese, melted cheese...any kind of cheese. Honestly we are a match made in heaven. Xx

Aw the new hotel seems nice and what a snack haul - I’m very jealous!

Love Millers Zinger Mountain Melt and you did well to finish as much as you did but I have to say Kate has chose some fab food - those fajitas look right up my street and I like the make your own style so you can add what you want to each wrap.

Lovely start to your universal stay
I expect some of the snacks will be brought home even we won't be able to manage all of them in the next few days.

Yep, Kate chose well with the fajitas and she enjoyed them, she likes spicy stuff though so she felt they could have had a little more chilli heat.

Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
Hope they served the cookie warm - they do in the UK ones. Well done on room snackage and RRR. The food looks lovely as well - love a bit of texmex.
They sure did serve them warm! We checked in before noon and when we got the notification our room was ready and went back to collect the key cards we were hoping they would give us another welcome cookie, but no such luck!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Millers was on our list but another one we never got to. I need to try the zinger fries!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
So do I, soft cheese, smelly cheese, blue cheese, melted cheese...any kind of cheese. Honestly we are a match made in heaven. Xx

I expect some of the snacks will be brought home even we won't be able to manage all of them in the next few days.

Yep, Kate chose well with the fajitas and she enjoyed them, she likes spicy stuff though so she felt they could have had a little more chilli heat.

They sure did serve them warm! We checked in before noon and when we got the notification our room was ready and went back to collect the key cards we were hoping they would give us another welcome cookie, but no such luck!
I definitely do think we are twins that were switched at birth 🥰 I’m going to do a food trippie in December, I think we’ll have to see a return to some trees n decs pics too.

I’m with Kate, a nice little kick and spice is never a bad thing. I wonder if she’d like Antojitos.
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Millers looked great. I could never finish the zingers either.

How’s the hotel? Can you walk across to Universal?

You totally deserved a beer after rip ride, it takes time for your bones to realign after that one. If you love Hulk you’ll love Velocicoaster - so smooth. Hope you get to ride it today.
I suggested the shrimp but the other 2 weren't fancying them! I had to have the zingers really didn't I? As a first trip it was good.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the hotel. Although the room aircon sounds a bit like a jet plane taking off - its a bit loud. It was only £45 a night on hotels.com so a proper bargain. There is a flyover path next to the hotel over the road.

And then the next junction is the crossroad to Portofino Bay.

We walk past Hard Rock, the other side of the waterway, we can see the boats going back and forth.

The path takes us to the universal valet parking.

It's about 15 minutes on the walk in when we're keen and eager, more like 20 minutes on the return to the hotel when we're tired.

Annoyingly, we were in the queue for Velocicoaster and it was closed due to inclement weather so we didn't get to ride it. Next time...

Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Never had a mountain melt the more I see it more I got to have one! Think DW and I will share one though then we got room for cake after !
It was delicious and easily shareable so that sounds like a good plan.

Originally Posted by jothp View Post
The food at Ale and Compass looks great and Sanaa is one of our favourites. The bread service is yummy. Your portion in Millers looks huge; it's no wonder you couldn't finish it.
I'm not surprised you needed a sit down after RRR. That's another one that I'm certainly not getting on. The girls love it though!
Both Ale and Compass and Sanaa were great, completely different styles but very enjoyable.

Dave also thinks it's bizarre that I like Hulk but not RRR. I just have a mental block on it, I hate the climb and so I have to keep my eyes closed on the climb, I decided it was best to get it out the way early on yesterday and not have it taunting me for the trip!

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Millers and new hotel look great.
Yes, we are pretty happy here. Kate is pleased she's got a proper bed now and not just a sofa bed.

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Finally got to Millers, yay. Hope you enjoy the hulk.
Millers was good. We went straight to Hulk as soon as we got back to the parks in the evening. It was brilliant, as good as I remember. I love that ride.

Old 13 Aug 22, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Millers was on our list but another one we never got to. I need to try the zinger fries!
There have been loads on my list we never made it to. The dreaming and planning for our trips does lead to a pretty long list though doesn't it? It's part of the fun!

I definitely do think we are twins that were switched at birth 🥰 I’m going to do a food trippie in December, I think we’ll have to see a return to some trees n decs pics too.

I’m with Kate, a nice little kick and spice is never a bad thing. I wonder if she’d like Antojitos.
Oh yes I need to see those hotel lobby beautiful Christmas trees, especially the WL tree.

We went to Antojitos on our 2019 trip when my parents came. I enjoyed the margarita, but we were sat in a dreadful location out on a patio and with 2 round tables pushed together, not ideal for 6 people. So I wasn't very impressed with it.

Old 13 Aug 22, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Day 16

I was desperate to ride Velocicoaster, so we returned to the parks after we settled in at the new hotel. First up my favourite Hulk! This was as good as I remembered. We wandered past all the wet rides and got in the queue for Kong when it was posted as 10 minutes but the ride went down so we ended up leaving the line and decided to go to Velocicoaster.

We here for about 30 minutes just at the lockers when this closed on us too...apparently there was inclement weather in the area.

I have to say I was pretty peeved. Lots of people have moaned about rides being down at Disney, we didn't have many problems at all there, but now at Universal we had 2 in a row and had only managed 1 ride this evening. I wasn't impressed at all.

We walked to Citywalk, with a plan of getting QS and I suggested Breadbox. The weather was just fine and I was beginning to think the team members just wanted an early night. This was not improving my mood at all, the weather was fine. But, as we were going up the escalator to the 2nd level the rain suddenly started and it was torrential. The noise on the roof was immense, incredibly loud and people below started screaming and running. I think it was just that it was out of the blue with no real warning, it just started. We ran to Breadbox before getting soaked.

Kate had said she wasn’t hungry, but in the end she ordered a mozzarella and tomato sandwich.

I went with a patty melt and added tater tots for us all to share.

This was a yummy patty melt, although I did think the sandwich was a little small. Am I adjusting to the portion sizes?

Dave went for the hot turkey sandwich.

These all hit the spot and even better by the time we had finished them the rain had stopped and we walked back to the hotel.

It wasn't a hugely successful first day at Universal. But, I guess they can't do anything about the weather.

Next up we are going for a late breakfast at IHOP and later we have a dinner reservation tonight at Margaritaville. Plus we will need to have a butterbeer at some point.