Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Aug 22, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Check with a doctor if you take other medication. Some interact with it... blood thinners and certain antidepressants etc. They are prescription only in the UK and only given for certain conditions.

They are not sleeping tablets, they are a synthetic version of the hormone your body makes in response to dark restfulness. A sleep eye mask and earplugs help on the plane.

When home, sleep hygiene as in no screens 90min before you want to sleep, quiet, dark and cool bedroom, even a weighted blanket all will provide a natural boost to the hormone.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My DD gave me and her dad a couple of melatonin tablets when we left Australia. I was dreading the flight back. We were flying economy back and via Dubai. She said to take one just before we wanted to sleep and if it didn't work to take two. We both took just one and I slept from an hour after leaving Adelaide and woke up an hour from Dubai. I did also have noise cancelling headphones and a comfy pillow and we were just a row of two with plenty legroom. She wants me to get some when we're in Florida and bring them back for her. Says she occasionally takes them if working a lot of long shifts. Helps her sleep.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 22, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

My sleep is pretty much non existent and my cycle has been a bit erratic as I’m at that age now. Do they sell it in publix or is that a food only place?
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 22, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I am on melatonin now, just tablets to help with the jet lag from LA.
I had horrible jet lag until I went on the melatonin.
It’s clinically proven but doesn’t work for 100% of people.
I find take 5-10mg when settled on the plane (about 11pm or 12am UK time) and this is then helping to start regulating the body back to a UK sleep cycle. It may not make you actually sleep, but it’s about the hormone coming in at the correct time, and shifting your new cycle back to the old one.
Then I take them for a week or so when back at bedtime.
May not prevent you waking up at 1-2am or whatever, but helps with that exhaustion feeling you get with jet lag and gets you back sleeping normally quicker.
Last night I slept through 11pm to 8.45 am (I am normally up much earlier) and we came back Wednesday. I have not felt too bad at all, despite the 8 hour time difference. I have still woken up a few times at 1-2am but just read and gone back to sleep after a couple of hours. I used to feel knocked out by jet lag all day but haven’t felt that.
Old 14 Aug 22, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
My sleep is pretty much non existent and my cycle has been a bit erratic as I’m at that age now. Do they sell it in publix or is that a food only place?
Walmart is best place. Big bottle for about $5.
Old 14 Aug 22, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Walmart is best place. Big bottle for about $5.
Will they sell it in Publix?
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 22, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Anna Maria
Trying for More Ears

Great for me too, helps me to sleep on plane then take for 5 days when home hardly any jet lag this year.
Anna Maria is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 22, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Will they sell it in Publix?
Yes or CVS, Walgreens etc. it’s all over. But you’ll probably pay double outside Walmart I noticed.