Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 22, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

Have the thermostat in a sensible spot. Ours is in the living room, which is the warmest room in the house (thanks Bovis!) so we have to keep our doors open during the day so that the rest of the house get's heated.

Our downstairs is the coldest place, it's been 13 in there this past week, because we only have 1 small radiator for the whole room (we took one out when we did the kitchen, but that was only small as well,) whereas the living room has 2 small radiators, go figure!

As mentioned above we leave the heating on, and it's set to 19.5 during the day, but as mentioned only the living room ever gets to this. In the evenings I sit on the sofa with a nice cosy blanket over me, I also have comfy North Face slippers to keep my feet warm, I've also been known to wear gloves in the house. I've also found putting candles on give off a bit of heat as well (it could be a placebo effect though: ie it's fire therefore I automatically feel warmer.)

Hot water comes on twice a day for 1 hour, but if there's still hot water in the tank it'll just stay on long enough to refill the tank... but for reference a full hot water tank will last 30 minutes in the shower, so we can easily get 3 showers out of it, or 1 shower and a bath.
2026 - maybe...
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have just checked my Gas usage. This is for a 1948 build house, can hear the wind in the cavity's and it gets darn cold.

Admittedly I signed up to a 3yr contract in the Summer, fixed price for 3 years so the current issues don't affect me.

I pay £60 a Month for heating on 12+ hours a day. 3 Baths a day as Son is with us for 2 Months and my Wife also uses hot water a lot in the kitchen.

All that for £60 a Month.

However I have had this from British Gas.

Your gas payments -
You are paying per month.
It looks like you are paying too much for your gas.

Based on your usage, we suggest you consider reducing the amount you pay every month by amending your monthly payment amount.

Plus they refunded me £65 2 weeks ago to try and reduce the balance they owe me.

My strategy is keep the house warm/hot during the day and don't let it go cold and then heat it up repeatedly..

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 11:44 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I understand that we are lucky, we live in a thermally efficient home with more insulation than anyone can imagine and mostly triple glazing but there is also no way I am going to be uncomfortable in my own home.

I would give up many other things before I had to be cold in my home, our 4500 sq foot home currently costs less than £120 per month to heat and eat, gas and electric, and we are in credit. Through the summer we always get a large credit balance.

We still open curtains for thermal gain in the day and shut them at night for thermal loss. We don't heat our bedroom and sleep with the windows open because we like fresh air. We have seperate thermostats for each room. Our underfloor heating maintains a good 20 -22 degrees night and day. The temperature never drops below 20

The government needs to invest in well insulated homes.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I have just checked my Gas usage. This is for a 1948 build house, can hear the wind in the cavity's and it gets darn cold.

Admittedly I signed up to a 3yr contract in the Summer, fixed price for 3 years so the current issues don't affect me.

I pay £60 a Month for heating on 12+ hours a day. 3 Baths a day as Son is with us for 2 Months and my Wife also uses hot water a lot in the kitchen.

Your gas payments -

Based on your usage, we suggest you consider reducing the amount you pay every month by amending your monthly payment amount.

Plus they refunded me £65 2 weeks ago to try and reduce the balance they owe me.

My strategy is keep the house warm/hot during the day and don't let it go cold and then heat it up repeatedly..

I refuse to be cold - I live in TSHirt in the home and dont even own a jumper ! Heating is there to keep us comfortable - after all no one on here seems to baulk at spending £ks on holiday and that only for a few weeks . If I feel nippy I whack up the thermostat to 24 from 22 (then again I live an a modern apartment albeit a very large one) - my sister is visiting form Yorkshire in a few weeks and will say she is too hot I am sure lol
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

Your gas payments -

WOW Tom you’re on a good deal 🤩
We were paying £45 for British Gas now gone up to £80 😳😳
I hardly have it on in the day time either
My top tip is to do some exercise as whenever I’ve been out for a walk run or cycle when I come back home it feels so warm in the house and I think the heating is on

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I live with a man who doesn’t feel the cold. I, on the other hand, am a cold tattie as they say here. It’s an ongoing silent battle of wills in our house!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
My top tip is to do some exercise as whenever I’ve been out for a walk run or cycle when I come back home it feels so warm in the house and I think the heating is on
I wish I was better at Electricity usage! We pay £84 per Month year round and only just have a credit by year end. That is also fixed for another 2+ years thankfully.

I blame Mrs Morrow who seems to have 3 TV's on and not watching any of them.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
I get billed every 15th of the month for heat (water and heating) Jan 15th Bill (I was away 2 weeks but had that spurt) £121.92 - I am expecting Feb 15th Bill to be substantially higher. Bio mass is good for the environment but its costly to pocket - even in summer it is around £70 a month and most of that is daily maintenance for the system (which also chills)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Some interesting tips/habits here!

We live in a very well insulated new build. I used to leave ours to come on with a minimum temperature, but now the prices are so high I like to be in total control. Frost protection is always on, but that's just to protect the house really.

Currently paying £75pm all year round which usually covers heating for Winter, though I expect that to go up. Temp never really drops below 18C indoors here with our self-imposed 1 hour limit.

If you're going by the current price of 4.65pkWh, it's roughly £1.12 an hour to run a 24 kWh boiler for heating. Those running for 12+ hours a day, I'm guessing you mean it's set come on in bursts when the min temp is hit?

Otherwise that would be over £360/month on gas alone, unless my maths is way out. And that's the prices before the April hike 😅

Edited at 12:25 PM.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Some interesting tips/habits here!

We live in a very well insulated new build. I used to leave ours to come on with a minimum temperature, but now the prices are so high I like to be in total control. Frost protection is always on, but that's just to protect the house really.

If you're going by the current price of 4.65pkWh, it's roughly £1.12 an hour to run a 24 kWh boiler for heating. Those running for 12+ hours a day, I'm guessing you mean it's set come on in bursts when the min temp is hit?

Otherwise that would be over £360/month on gas alone, unless my maths is way out. And that's the prices before the April hike 😅
I understand what you are saying but the key is that the heating is not running continuously when it is on as it is already at the correct temperature.

Our boiler fires for a few minutes and hour to maintain the temperature instead of fireing like crazy for many minutes to heat it up from cold.

As I say our house never drops temperature, each room has thermostat our bedroom thermostat is very low the rest are set at appropriate temps for the use of the room.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List