Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 22, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I understand what you are saying but the key is that the heating is not running continuously when it is on as it is already at the correct temperature.

Our boiler fires for a few minutes and hour to maintain the temperature instead of fireing like crazy for many minutes to heat it up from cold.

As I say our house never drops temperature, each room has thermostat our bedroom thermostat is very low the rest are set at appropriate temps for the use of the room.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. We never drop below around 18C with the 1 hour a day except for exceptionally cold weather. Will have to play around and see what uses more gas - min temp auto setting or my tight 1 hour rule 🤔
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

This is interesting from the MoneySavingExpert mythbusters page:

"Is it cheaper to leave the heating on low all day or turn it on only when I need it?

This is a hotly debated one. According to experts at the Energy Saving Trust, the idea it's cheaper to leave the heating on low all day is a myth. They're clear that having the heating on only when you need it is, in the long run, the best way to save energy, and therefore money. (A timer's best as your thermostat turns your heating on and off to keep your home at the temperature you set.)"

They go on to say that other experts say the opposite. Who knows... lol
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I don’t have the heating on a thermostat all day. All articles I have seen disproved the myth that doing this was cost effective. Martin Lewis certainly advocates only putting it on when necessary.
Our house isn’t that warm, we need all the windows replacing really, but to be honest we can’t afford it at the minute.
So we wrap up. I usually have a dog on my feet anyway. We didn’t put our heating on until November, and likely barring any cold spells, it’ll be done in March.
I work from home so wake up in the morning and wait until I get home. We have throws etc on the sofa and I snuggle up with the dog. It depends on the day, the other day it was 8 degrees outside so it didn’t go on until around sunset, but sometimes I put it on straight away after getting up and walking the dog.
I hate heated bedrooms so the only radiator on upstairs is our towel rail in the bathroom, and we turn it off on our way up to bed.
I have no issue wrapping up, I would rather breathe cool fresh air, but once my hands get cold on the laptop it’s time to heat the room
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
This is interesting from the MoneySavingExpert mythbusters page:

"Is it cheaper to leave the heating on low all day or turn it on only when I need it?

This is a hotly debated one. According to experts at the Energy Saving Trust, the idea it's cheaper to leave the heating on low all day is a myth. They're clear that having the heating on only when you need it is, in the long run, the best way to save energy, and therefore money. (A timer's best as your thermostat turns your heating on and off to keep your home at the temperature you set.)"

They go on to say that other experts say the opposite. Who knows... lol
I always take "hints and tips" form MSE with a bucket of salt since they are now a sponsored site ££
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I don’t have the heating on a thermostat all day. All articles I have seen disproved the myth that doing this was cost effective. Martin Lewis certainly advocates only putting it on when necessary.
Our house isn’t that warm, we need all the windows replacing really, but to be honest we can’t afford it at the minute.
So we wrap up. I usually have a dog on my feet anyway. We didn’t put our heating on until November, and likely barring any cold spells, it’ll be done in March.
I work from home so wake up in the morning and wait until I get home. We have throws etc on the sofa and I snuggle up with the dog. It depends on the day, the other day it was 8 degrees outside so it didn’t go on until around sunset, but sometimes I put it on straight away after getting up and walking the dog.
I hate heated bedrooms so the only radiator on upstairs is our towel rail in the bathroom, and we turn it off on our way up to bed.
I have no issue wrapping up, I would rather breathe cool fresh air, but once my hands get cold on the laptop it’s time to heat the room
My cat offers free heating too ☺️
Old 21 Jan 22, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Ours is on the time. Thermostat is set at 21 and it’s nice and cosy. It’s never got but it is warm enough. We have a 3 and 4 year old so don’t want to have a cold house. However one is now at school and the other at nursery 3 days so I’ll probably turn it down for 3 days a week and just wear a jumper to keep warm
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

DH and I have limited mobility and both feel the cold a lot. Our oil fired heating comes on at 7am and is set to 20 degrees. At 4.00pm it goes up to 22.5 degrees until it turns off at 11.00pm when it is set to come on only if temp drops to 18 degrees overnight.
We rarely go out but if we do I always turn thermostat down.
Most of the time we are still both huddled in blankets and our feet in particular are freezing to the point they burn with the cold.
Unfortunately the lounge is the coldest room in the house but we have an electric fan heater to give it a short boost if really necessary.
We always make sure the curtains are drawn as soon as it starts to get dark as this does help keep the heat in.
Our 1960's bungalow is well insulated, has cavity wall insulation and double glazing.
Starting to get quite worried about future bills, as DH in particular is so cold the whole time.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
DH and I have limited mobility and both feel the cold a lot. Our oil fired heating comes on at 7am and is set to 20 degrees. At 4.00pm it goes up to 22.5 degrees until it turns off at 11.00pm when it is set to come on only if temp drops to 18 degrees overnight.
We rarely go out but if we do I always turn thermostat down.
Most of the time we are still both huddled in blankets and our feet in particular are freezing to the point they burn with the cold.
Unfortunately the lounge is the coldest room in the house but we have an electric fan heater to give it a short boost if really necessary.
We always make sure the curtains are drawn as soon as it starts to get dark as this does help keep the heat in.
Our 1960's bungalow is well insulated, has cavity wall insulation and double glazing.
Starting to get quite worried about future bills, as DH in particular is so cold the whole time.
We've got Venetian blinds throughout, but I do find it still helps to keep heat in when I close them at dusk. Perhaps not as effectively as curtains though.
Old 21 Jan 22, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Although I like being warm I do, even throughout the winter, like fresh air in the house. On sunny days I open the windows in every room for a while and wonder if those who have heating on all day do this. My husband would have a heart attack if the heating was on and the windows open.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have a Victorian terrace and have the heating on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, and I pay £113 per month gas and electric. The house never feels warm and I live in loads of layers.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List