Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 22, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Hughseysar
VIP Dibber

Ours is also on 24/7 as is the hot water . 6am till 10pm at 22, then 18 between 10pm and 6am.
Underfloor heating downstairs in 4 separate circuits and radiators upstairs all with own thermostats … Hate that cold really hate it ! We are lucky and in a new build , it’s a big house but they pack in so much insulation it’s always toasty … I am often up in the night and the thermostats downstairs are still showing it’s 22 degrees hours and hours after the lower setting activated. According to our smart meter we are using about £2 in gas a day …. I can live with that
Hughseysar is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We were away for 5 weeks over December and I turned the heating down to 10 degrees to keep the damp away, it took 2 days full blast to heat the house up to 19 again!

When everything in the house cools down it takes bloody ages to heat back up, so I’m not taking any chances and leaving it on 24/7 at 19.

It’s set to 19 all year actually 24/7 unless we’re away, I don’t get this summer / winter thing, 19 is fine all year for me and if the heating comes on in the summer it’s because it needs it.

Ramble over, to answer the original question I think your 30 mins is like lighting a match to cook a steak, it’s not going to work! Sorry.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
Ramble over, to answer the original question I think your 30 mins is like lighting a match to cook a steak, it’s not going to work! Sorry.
Not sure if you meant me (I didn't ask any questions and I put my heating on 3x a day for 20mins), but if you did, I'm just sharing my own tips/what we do and it works for us. We don't need the house beyond 18C. But like someone else said, all homes are different as are people's temperature tolerances 😊
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Our heating is on for an hour in the morning 5.30 to 6.30 to take the chill of in the morning when we get up and the comes on about 4pm until about 8pm. I cannot abide it on during the night, only time it is on overnight is when the grandchildren stay over.

We have it set for about 19 degrees and will go on and off when at temperature.

If I am working at home which is a lot of days now its a jumper on and a blanket over my lap. Often put a water bottle in bed so nice and toastie when we get in.

Good job hubby is like minded!
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Trickytenrec
slightly serious Dibber

As for someone who feels the cold a lot, which I hate, for me life is too short to limit heating /hot water. I would cut down on other things like food, to compensate for rising bills but I’m fortunate not to have to. Our house is controlled by nest I think and usually the thermostat is set at 23C, and I love a hot bath at around 46C 🤣🙈.
Trickytenrec is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sharon190980
Excited about Disney

We have our Nest set to 21 degrees in the day and 19 at night to just come on as and when it needs to as I refuse to be cold in my own home and there’s always somebody home now we WFH.
Just checked recent history and it comes on an average of 3 hours per day at the moment.
sharon190980 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

I start twitching when the smart meter is showing £10 a day in gas and elec combined! It's only a 1990s 4 bed house with 3 of us. We all were out the house at workplaces until recently so usage was from 4pm-9pm and 6am -7am . Partner now working from home so costs have increased. Is what it is. Plus we had a hot tub since April before the energy hikes and was on cheap fixed deal. Now that is getting far more expensive than I budgeted for when I decided to buy it.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I don’t know if this is true but I once read that your boiler works harder to heat a property if its only on for short bursts because it’s heating a cold area rather topping it up.
We do turn ours off over night but my husband and I are up well before the children so it’s turned on early morning and set at 17.5. It stays on that all day unless its really, really cold outside then it goes up to 18.5. So the house is a constant temperature and never feels cold. This works really well for us, its never cold or too hot 👍🏻 I don’t know if its his medication but my youngest really feels the cold so we can’t let it get cold anyway. We all shower daily but my middle son has two 😖 he ‘needs’ one in the morning before school and he trains every night so has a shower again after that.
its a myth that its cheaper to keep it on low
moneysavingexpert/ut...-saving-myths/
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I refuse to cut back on heating and hot water.

However simple things with Electrical items was an eye opener to me.

Why did my garage fridge where all I kept was a dozen bottles of wine cost so much? Now turned off as it was ridiculous.

Why does the chest freezer in the garage have such poor energy ratings? It seems they all do. That’s going as we don’t really need it now the Children aren’t at home.

What a difference changing the Halogen security lights to LED made. My God the monitor used to go nuts when the two of them activated.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I refuse to cut back on heating and hot water.

However simple things with Electrical items was an eye opener to me.

Why did my garage fridge where all I kept was a dozen bottles of wine cost so much? Now turned off as it was ridiculous.

Why does the chest freezer in the garage have such poor energy ratings? It seems they all do. That’s going as we don’t really need it now the Children aren’t at home.

What a difference changing the Halogen security lights to LED made. My God the monitor used to go nuts when the two of them activated.
We have changed all our lights to LED, hubby loves a spreadsheet project! We now have an enormous box of bulbs we have taken out. We have two fridge freezers that are very efficient. I live with someone obsessed with switching things off! Just not the heating!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List