Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jan 22, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
I have a GCSE child, the exams have been made easier in each subject, they are being given lots of details and the exam and the curriculum has been reduced and the marking bands brought down.

They will be fine, life has to get back to normal.

My daughter is worried but what else can they do ?
That’s great you have had clear guidance.
Hopefully this will be the same as A levels as like a pp said the unis still want the same high grades but I suppose if the boundaries are brought down it should be the same.
Old 22 Jan 22, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

My son is doing GCSEs this year.
He has just had covid in the middle of his mocks and missed his German oral (so will do it one lunchtime next week) and some key revision for English and maths exams that are on Monday. These mocks are his first experience of proper exams in the hall. He wants to sit his GCSEs but is worried. He was devastated to get covid now but hopefully it makes it less likely he’ll get it during the real ones.
They have cut content dropping some topics (which is great for the subjects they don’t want to continue but will make A level a bigger catch up in the subjects they are doing). The subjects he wants to do for A level all the teachers have said they will accept him on the course regardless of final GCSE grade because he is working at the right level. It might be trickier if wanting to go to college where you aren’t known (and I really feel for the A level kids applying to uni) but staying at the same school, the teachers know what they are capable of and will make allowances if they have a bad day.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

At the end of September last year the DfE published Adaptation in Summer 2022 exams to ensure fairness for students.
Take a look.

gov.uk/government/news/a...s-for-students
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I was under the impression that the grade boundaries have been made higher this year? That’s what my son was told after his a level mocks in November. Which I think is quite harsh considering the last 2 years of teaching they have received.
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

I know what the Gov't have said about trying to make it fair, however, in the school my kids go to at least, the kids (nor the parents) haven't been told anything at all.

The kids are in total limbo, knowing they are missing lessons because teachers are absent with no catching up offered.

The letter my daughter got off the MP highlighted the fact all students had been given chromebooks and the online teaching was excellent...

Except, only children in years 7-9 have been given chromebooks, and our county (Anglesey) had a cyber attack last Summer, and online services have STILL not been resumed and kids have limited resources they can't connect to online.

(The chromebook thing not as relevant to us as the kids all have laptops anyway, but still, it'll be relevant to a great many other families)

It's definitely not a level playing field.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside

Edited at 01:11 PM.
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
I really don’t know what the answer is tbh. My DD is Y12 and we are in Wales so still do AS levels therefore meaning exams in the summer (do England do these?). She’s just sat her mocks and these were the first ‘real’ exams she has done. She’s a hard worker so hopefully has done okay but I just feel sorry for these children when you are off with COVID, then your teachers are isolating. What are the mitigation’s as I haven’t been told of any? What are the downsides to not doing exams - I am really interested as I suppose people like me don’t see the other side of things
My daughter is a first year at uni. She took a year out to take exams and make some money after the first A level fiasco. ( no exams in summer, but she could take in autumn, so did and got a much better grade)

She is doing fine on a fast paced science course. A number of students are dropping out this month... exam month... a lot are citing pressures of doing exam after exam over 2 weeks.

I think that is a big downside of not doing exams at school.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodle500 View Post
At the end of September last year the DfE published Adaptation in Summer 2022 exams to ensure fairness for students.
Take a look.

gov.uk/government/news/a...s-for-students
Thanks
What will happen for 2023(I’m just jumping ahead as that’s when my DD does her Alevels) or will they see how COVID is?
Old 22 Jan 22, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shani View Post
I know what the Gov't have said about trying to make it fair, however, in the school my kids go to at least, the kids (nor the parents) haven't been told anything at all.

The kids are in total limbo, knowing they are missing lessons because teachers are absent with no catching up offered.

The letter my daughter got off the MP highlighted the fact all students had been given chromebooks and the online teaching was excellent...

Except, only children in years 7-9 have been given chromebooks, and our county (Anglesey) had a cyber attack last Summer, and online services have STILL not been resumed and kids have limited resources they can't connect to online.

(The chromebook thing not as relevant to us as the kids all have laptops anyway, but still, it'll be relevant to a great many other families)

It's definitely not a level playing field.
I haven’t been told anything either and we are in Denbighshire. I agree no level playing field. Sometimes I sit here and think we have been in some twilight zone over the last 2 years as our lives have been turned upside down and it doesn’t feel real - I hope this is coming to an end now!
Old 22 Jan 22, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

Thanks
What will happen for 2023(I’m just jumping ahead as that’s when my DD does her Alevels) or will they see how COVID is?
My youngest is doing her GCSEs next year (2023) and I’m a little concerned they will just remove all considerations they are giving this year and they will end up with nothing. I think there needs to be slight considerations as they start GCSE work in Year 9 which was impacted by restrictions.
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

I haven’t been told anything either and we are in Denbighshire. I agree no level playing field. Sometimes I sit here and think we have been in some twilight zone over the last 2 years as our lives have been turned upside down and it doesn’t feel real - I hope this is coming to an end now!
The information is publicly available as per the link above.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List