Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 16 May 22, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG American History Road Trip April 2022 - Day 3 - Shenandoah NP and Harpers Ferry

Day 3 - Saturday 9th April

I had a lie in until 6, woohoo! That is still ridiculously early in my book but at least the clock didn’t start with a 4
Laid in bed until 7.30 when Hope woke up with a sore throat and bad cold. She’s obviously got what I have as I’m still left with a croaky voice that is threatening to give up on me!

She decided to have a day in bed which was a good idea as she needs her rest.
I went upstairs into the cafe and got her a hot chocolate. Everything is self service in here and you just write what you have taken on your paper tab then pay once you check out, now that's trust for you! Can't imagine a hotel in London offering the same

Karen the owner is a gem, everyone who works here has a real Southern charm that you can't not love! I asked if there was any more Dr Pepper as that is Hope's favourite and Glenda went and got some from her personal stash which I thanked her profusely for.

Once we were ready, mum and I walked the 10 steps over the road to the Battle Ground Bakery to get some breakfast. It's literally opposite the Inn.

Standing outside our bedroom door

Outside the bakery, looking towards our room behind the double doors

They do a variety of breakfast and lunch sandwiches on a choice of 5 different breads. I went with a bacon, egg and cheese on sourdough. Mum a bacon on sourdough and I bought Hope just a plain ham that she could have at some point today. We had snacks and drinks in the room so she wouldn’t go hungry.
We took our food and sat on one of the tables outside our room to eat. It was a lovely sunny morning, not particularly hot but warm enough

Once done I made sure Hope was ok and dosed up with cold and flu tablets then we got the car and headed to Shenandoah National Park.

It was about an hours drive to Front Royal which is the town at the northern entrance to the park. Shenandoah extends along the Blue Ridge Mountains in the State of Virginia. The Skyline Drive is the 105 mile National Parkway that runs North to South along the spine of the mountains. We would be attempting about a third of that today, if we had more time I'd have loved to of driven all the way to the South entrance.

Before we went in I thought it would be wise to fill up with gas as we had just under half a tank and I wasn’t sure how much driving we’d be doing today. It was only $30 to fill it to the top, how I wish my car was that cheap!

After a quick stop at the National Park sign, we drove to the entrance to pay the fee. It is $30 per car and that lasts up to 7 days I believe. We got given a map and a guide too.

We started the drive South stopping at a couple of viewpoints, just stunning. Photos really don’t do it justice!

We pulled in to the Dickey Visitor Centre for a loo break and to take a look around. Beautiful views from up here

We had a quick look in the gift shop where I bought the obligatory postcard, a magnet and a National Park poster to go with the 3 others that are framed in my downstairs toilet.

We continued further South stopping at a few more overlooks until we got to the Skyland Resort and the Stony Man Trailhead.
The ranger at the visitor centre said it was an easy to moderate trail that was just over a mile altogether so we thought that would be the best one to do for mum. She said the views were amazing from the top….!

This was a very easy trail with only a small incline but you had to be careful of the rocks underfoot.
Would you believe, it only starting flipping snowing halfway up! It was a mixture of snow and hail and looked like little polystyrene balls

So this was the view that we got from the top!

I think I’m doomed when it comes to National Parks as this was the Grand Canyon when we visited…! It’s down there somewhere

The snow was really coming down now so we beat a hasty retreat and made it back to the car. We drove the 2 minute journey into Skyland and went in for a hot drink as we needed warming up! Unfortunately they were out of hot chocolate and as I don’t drink tea or coffee I just had a water and a bag of crisps.
Had a look in their gift shop but I miraculously came away empty handed, it wasn’t as good as the first one!

It was now just gone 2pm so we thought we should make a move back to the hotel. I had been messaging Hope and she was fine, I think having some chill time has helped her.

We started the journey back up North and the Sat Nav was taking us out at the Thornton Gap entrance and onto the main road. It meant we didn’t have to do the whole section of the Skyline Drive again which would have added at least another hour on.
Before we left Shenandoah I pulled over into a few more overlooks to see the scenery on this side of the road. The different shades of colour on the mountains is just beautiful!

A large rain storm in the distance

The journey was uneventful thankfully and we made it back by 4.30pm. I dropped mum off outside the Inn then went to park the car at the station again. The town was still really busy with day tourists so I was lucky to get a space!

Hope was feeling better so I asked if she wanted some fresh air and have a wander around town but she declined wanting to stay in the warm. Mum and I just went for a stroll having a look in various stores and taking in the scenery.

First up was a sweet store with candy from throughout the decades to the present day. It was fairly overpriced so came away empty handed.

This whole town is like a film set, it almost doesn’t look real!

They have various buildings that are preserved to look like they did in the early 1800’s. The General Merchandise store was my favourite, like it was straight out of Anne of Green Gables!

This is the point where the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers meet and was a key area in the Civil War. It’s also where 3 States meet - Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia.

We made a slow amble back to the room just taking the sights all in, the hills are steep here!

A train had just pulled in to the station taking tourists back. If anyone wants to visit and doesn’t drive, there is a direct train line from Washington DC which is really handy.

I tidied up my suitcase and found room for all of my shopping then at about 6.30pm we got ready to go over the road to get dinner at The Rabbit Hole.
They were really busy in here so we could only get a seat at the bar otherwise it was outside but was a bit too chilly for outdoor dining.

I had already looked at the menu online (obvs) so knew I was getting the Appalachian BBQ pork roll with fries and Mum & Hope both went with the cheeseburger and fries.

This place does a roaring trade, really friendly staff too. We didn’t have to wait long before the food came.
This was one of the best pulled pork burgers I’ve ever had, I ate every last bite!

Mum and Hope enjoyed their burgers too but were both defeated by the size of it! Bill came to a very reasonable $70 including tip.

We wanted to go for a stroll to see the upper part of town but Hope wanted to go back to the room so dropped her off then headed up the road. Some really lovely homes up here, it reminded me of the Gilmore Girls set!

They are tearing down these houses to build a new huge spa hotel opening in 2024.

It’s a shame really as this town is so quaint with just charming B&B’s or Inns it doesn’t really suit a huge corporate type of hotel but then I guess money talks

We turned around and headed back to the Inn. I went upstairs to settle the bill as we were leaving early tomorrow.

I ended up chatting to Glenda for a while. She was saying she’s been working 60 hour weeks as they were desperate for more workers but cannot find the staff! They also need contractors for a bunch of work at the Inn but again can’t find anyone who wants the job. The problem is apparently all across the country and I was saying the U.K. is experiencing exactly the same. Where have all the workers gone!

We had a good chit chat but after half an hour I went back downstairs to finish off getting my things together so we could make a fairly quick getaway in the morning as Hope and I are going zip lining

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 08:45 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 22, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Lovely scenery and that pulled pork burger
OMG 😋😋

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 22, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Lovely scenery and that pulled pork burger
OMG 😋😋
Thanks Claire, it’s a stunning part of the country! I would honestly go back for that burger alone 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

A beautiful drive and scenery. Love the hotel you're in and the friendliness.

Harper's Ferry looks so pretty and it's a shame about the new hotel demolishing the houses - shades of Ozark Byrds maybe?

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

What a gorgeous drive you had (apart from the snow!) Stunning scenery

What a lovely little town and hotel you found Just a shame big developers are moving in but as you say money talks!
Old 27 May 22, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Poor Hope, a nice restful day should hopefully have helped. What an amazing drive through the National Park but that crazy weather! Dinner looks fantastic- I think you absolutely earned it after your hike. What a gorgeous spot to visit!
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 22, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Wow, Shenandoah looks stunning. The views were incredible and the photo of the rivers meeting is amazing. What a great day, I agree the town does look very much like the town from Gilmore Girls. Your pulled pork burger does look delicious

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 22, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Some lovely photos and a nice meal to end the day

Joan
Old 29 May 22, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
A beautiful drive and scenery. Love the hotel you're in and the friendliness.

Harper's Ferry looks so pretty and it's a shame about the new hotel demolishing the houses - shades of Ozark Byrds maybe?
I really fell in love with Harpers Ferry, it's in such a stunning part of the country!
Oh god, I can only imagine some dodgy crime lord buying up half the town for money laundering purposes

Originally Posted by P&S View Post
What a gorgeous drive you had (apart from the snow!) Stunning scenery

What a lovely little town and hotel you found Just a shame big developers are moving in but as you say money talks!
Shenandoah really is stunning, I'll definitely be back in the warmer months when it doesn't snow . I'm so pleased I came across the town during a random Google search, I would recommend anyone to visit it if they're in the DC area!

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Poor Hope, a nice restful day should hopefully have helped. What an amazing drive through the National Park but that crazy weather! Dinner looks fantastic- I think you absolutely earned it after your hike. What a gorgeous spot to visit!
She was really struggling bless her, I had been feeling so rough in the run up to the holiday it was only a matter of time that she caught it too!
Shenandoah is beautiful, I'm so pleased we did the drive. Even not in perfect conditions the views are stunning!
That pulled pork was to die for, I wish I'd asked for the recipe

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 29 May 22, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Wow, Shenandoah looks stunning. The views were incredible and the photo of the rivers meeting is amazing. What a great day, I agree the town does look very much like the town from Gilmore Girls. Your pulled pork burger does look delicious
Thanks Abby, photos will never do justice to how beautiful the views are!
Harpers Ferry is straight out of a film set, as soon as we got there I instantly though of Stars Hollow, I think it might be the gazebo and church!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Some lovely photos and a nice meal to end the day

Joan
Thanks Joan we had a lovely day

IG - alicialanesmith