Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 22 May 22, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
debojahh
VIP Dibber

You had me at Hallo: Berlin 2022 Day 4

Hello! Just popping up the last 2 days for you now

Today will be Charlottenburg, Anne Frank museum and food!

We woke up sometime after 8am feeling the effects of the previous night. Neither of us are huge drinkers and therefore we were not feeling our best!
So as we didn't have any need to be anywhere, we did just kind of hang around the room for a while.

We look a little fragile

We were finally ready around 11am and headed towards Espressohouse so Jess could grab a chai latte.

The man in front of us was incredibly Italian and his card would not work...he tried contactless/Chip and PIN/Entering his PIN when his card wasn't in the machine/Contactless when the transaction had already declined

The server could not cope, Jess paid for the drink but then the man said 'i'll pay cash', lots of explaining ensued and the Italian said 'But you are a woman'

Turns out he meant to say 'I am a knight without my horse'

So after the interesting interaction we were on our way.

We used the U2 I think to the Zoo stop then to Charlottenburg. Once we arrived I think there was a realisation that we could have got off at a stop closer but its fine.

We walked from the station to the Palace which must've been about a 30 minute walk of more almost deserted streets.

We were hoping to find a cafe or something on the way to the palace but lots of places were shut and it felt much more residential around here.

We got to the palace which is huge and really pretty and first stop was the gift shop for a bottle of coke for 2.50 Euro.

We spent some time walking through the grounds as it was another really nice day.

We found a bench and just sat near the lake for a while enjoying the peace. I would have loved to explore further but we were still hungry having not found anywhere to eat earlier on.

I saw that the Orangery was open to serve food but when we got there it was just cake! Across the road there is a restaurant called Opera Italiana so we sat outside here just after 2pm.

There was a huge abundance of sparrows or something here too, cute and chirpy!

The menu was only in German and the staff all spoke Italian but we muddled through. Jess got the Tosca pizza and a sprite, I got the Norma pizza and a Sprite.

Obviously Tosca was a margerita and Norma was ham, mushroom, pepperoni and sweet peppers.

These were nice but just so much food

I couldn't finish mine at all and was abit upset about it! I paid 15 Euro and Jess abit less before we left around 3.15pm.

Jess had wanted to do the Anne Frank museum(she has been to Amsterdam but with people who were useless so they never went to the main museum there, but I knew there was a sister one in Berlin). We realised that it closes at 6pm and we needed to get across the city.

So we popped to the Charlottenburg shop, I got my mum a magnet, a keyring for myself and some Ampelman sweets. This was about 13 Euro.

Then we looked up a closer UBahn/SBahn and walked to it, Richard-Wagner-Strasse station if that helps anyone. Then we switched to the SBahn to Hachescharer Markt. Once off here we walked to the Anne Frank Museum which was in a proper arty, graffitied area which was super cool.

The musuem was 7 Euro entry which included the audio guide. We probably spent about at hour in here, I would say it is more for school groups maybe as a lot of the information skewed quite young. Was still interesting though.

I think we realised that this was not far from Museum Island so we could have ticked it off the previous day and spent more time at Charlottenburg but oh well!

As we had eaten quite recently we had no dinner plans this evening so instead we decided to walk through Berlin and back to the hotel.

This walk took us about 2 hours as we stopped several times on the way. Berlin felt alot busier today which was nice, good to see the city come alive on a weekend.

On our first day we had walked past a place called Ooooh Cookies and they advertised a New York style cookies in Berlin.
We both grabbed some in here, I got a triple chocolate, milk choc chip and cinnamon roll. Because the cinnamon one had icing I had to carry this silly box back to the hotel

We also both bought our respective boyfriends a souvenir in Ampelman. Jess got a stout/bottle opener combo and I got a pale ale/bottle opener combo. These were 13 Euro I think.

Then we actually end up at the hotel just after 7pm to dump all the stuff before going back to our trusty EspressoHouse on the corner.

We both got a Fritz Limo in here, mine was apple, cinnamon, cherry I think and Jess's was orange. Jess had a swedish bun too.

We grabbed hot drinks to take back to our room and were back in at 8pm.

I ate my cookies while we watched Der Fernseher Ballet? It was very cheesy and cheap looking.

Tomorrow was our last day and flight so we also finished packing.

debojahh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 22, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The pizzas and cookies look yummy. Another interesting day.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List