Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 12 Jun 22, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG American History Road Trip April 2022 - Day 7 - Christiana Mall and Going Home PHL-LHR

Day 7 - Wednesday 13th April

Woke up early today as it was going home day . We were up, dressed and all packed by 8.30am.
Once ready I went downstairs to get us a luggage trolley to make it easier bringing everything downstairs.

We checked out and asked for our car to be brought round.
I loaded everything into the boot and set the Sat Nav for the Christiana Mall in Delaware where we’d stop for a last minute bit of shopping and lunch before heading to Philadelphia Airport.

The journey was 1 hour 50 with no major hold ups thankfully. This Mall was huge and we parked up outside of the Target end of it.
We needed something to eat as we’d forgone breakfast and it was nearly 11am.

The Starbucks in Target didn’t have any seating to it so we walked through and into the Food Court of the Mall where we found a Cinnabon that would do nicely.
I got a large roll and mum a small with a coffee. My god these were ridiculously good!

Once refuelled we got on our way and popped into Levi’s (too expensive), Tilly’s where Hope bought a t-shirt, Williams Sonoma where I could have bought one of everything and American Eagle for a top for Hope. We ended in B&BW where I got 8 single wick candles that were buy 2 get 2 free so $61 altogether. Mum also bought 4 foaming hand soaps.

Last stop into Target where I got some more Secret deodorant, a tub of Naproxen, some water flavourings and Lemonade sachets.
I was after a suitcase to take home as the hold-all I had brought out with me wasn’t big enough. However they also didn’t have a great selection so I’d need to find somewhere else.

We got back in the car and drove over the road to Dicks Sporting Goods as I still needed to buy Jim and Sam something to take home.
What should have been a 3 minute drive turned out to be a 15 minute detour as I missed the turning and ended up on the highway
I did pass a fuel station so quickly topped up the tank as it was nearly empty. $50 to fill up, how I wish gas was that cheap back home

Back to Dicks we had a browse and found Jim a couple of nice Under Armour golf polos for $65 each but when I called him to check his size he told me not to buy them as he can get them cheaper back home.
It’s crazy how much more expensive shopping in the US has become, you really do have to hunt for the bargains now.
Mum found a nice Under Armour jumper for my Dad though but that was the only thing bought.

We were now pretty hungry so walked over to Bahama Breeze for lunch, a favourite of ours in Florida.

They have taken off the Buttermilk chicken and mash that I usually get so instead I went with the grilled chicken with a cilantro crema drizzle and mash.
Hope had her last burger of the holiday and Mum had a bowl of seafood chowder with a side of coconut shrimp.

I had spotted a JC Penny’s opposite the restaurant and I figured they must have luggage so once we ordered I ran across the road to have a look.
Sure enough they had a great selection so got a hard sided 28” suitcase in dark grey.
This was reduced from $240 to $100.

I made it back to the restaurant with time to spare before our food came out.
This was piping hot, in fact I think it was the first really hot meal of the holiday!
It was really nice and will be having it again when we’re in Florida this summer

We paid the bill using the machine at the table, $47 including tip

It was 3pm so we figured we should make our way to the airport, the Sat Nav said it would be about a 40 minute drive

We hit some traffic on the outskirts of Philly which added another 10 minutes onto the journey but nothing major.
We found the Avis car return easy enough and parked up behind the row of cars. A woman came up and said a receipt would be emailed to me but I didn’t trust that it would so I went inside the office to get a print out.

There were 4 agents behind the desk but only one of them seemed to be working. Myself and another man were kept waiting for over 5 minutes when one woman with the biggest attitude problem decided she was now ready to work after having a good old gossip with her colleague, god I was fuming!
The first thing she did was tell me I needed to wear a mask, even though there were no signs anywhere stating that, there was a Perspex screen in between us and the best one, hers was around her chin
I managed to hold my anger in check until I had my print out with $0 balance due.
Poor Hope and Mum then had to endure my heated rant of her once I got outside!

The Avis return is not attached to the airport so we had to wait for a bus. It soon came and the very friendly driver helped us get all our luggage on board.
A quick 5 minute drive to Terminal A we walked in to find no one in the queue for British Airways, result!

When I had checked in last night we had been spread out over the cabin so I asked if it was possible for us to sit together which was no problem. We had the middle and aisle of row 30 with another aisle seat the other side.

Their security is tiny with only 2 queues so that took a while but the line moved quick enough.
Mum unfortunately had her bag flagged as she had completely forgotten to take out her B&BW hand soaps so they were confiscated, she was gutted!

Once through we went to find some seats at the Gate. This terminal is tiny, literally one long corridor of the gates and shops/restaurants all along it.

We found Mum a place to sit and left her with the bags whilst Hope and I went on the hunt for some drinks.
A lot of places were shut including Duty Free which I found odd but the Dunkin Donuts was open. I got Mum a coffee, Hope a Diet Coke and I got a Peach and Passion fruit cooler. This was delish!

We stopped at the news stand to get some crisps and mini cookies as we just wanted a snack to keep us going.

We had about an hour until we started boarding so just hung out and relaxed.

At 6pm the announcement came over to start the boarding by groups.
As we were Group 7 we were second to last called but it didn’t take long.

Got settled in and just wrote up some notes whilst waiting for take off.
We were only 10 minutes late which was good going, the pilot also said we would land ahead of schedule too.

There was a spare seat in the row in front and as the lady who was in our row by the window looked quite agitated I suggested she sit there. She was grateful and said she much preferred being able to get out of her seat easily which I totally understand.
Hope then moved over into her seat so we had the middle seat free which makes all the difference to spread out on a night flight.

I decided I was only going to watch one film and then try and get some sleep.
I put on In the Heights and I LOVED it! I hope they bring it to the West End

During the film they brought round dinner but Hope and I both declined as we were still full.
Once it was finished I took two of my trusty Acetaminophen PM tablets and settled down to sleep.

I woke up to the Captain announcing we would be landing in 30 minutes, I had even slept through breakfast! Lovely

We landed at around 6am to a lovely sunny Heathrow. Yay!

They made the announcement that we would be disembarking by rows and to stay seated until they said.
Well you can imagine hardly anyone listens and the poor cabin crew had to keep telling passengers to remain seated, what the heck is wrong with some people

We eventually got off and made the 5 mile walk and a train journey to passport control, no queue though and through in minutes using the machines.

Our bags didn’t take too long either which surprised me as they usually take ages at Terminal 5!
I called Jim to say he could leave to come and get us now that we had our luggage.

Got the lift up to the Drop off area in arrivals where we only waited 5 minutes before Jim came along. You’re technically not allowed to be picked up from here but no one stopped us!

15 minutes later we were home sweet home with a very happy Boris to greet us
We briefly saw Sam before he went off to work then so did Jim.
I set about the huge task of unpacking and finding homes for all my new goodies plus starting to make a dent in the huge pile of laundry!

My Dad arrived at about 10am to pick my Mum up. She was dead on her feet as she hadn’t slept on the flight so they didn’t hang about before leaving.
I had stupidly agreed to work this afternoon so I had a 2 hour nap to get me through the day

Bedtime came at 9pm that night, I was shattered!

So that there ends another action packed week away, I hope it was of use to anyone visiting these parts of the USA.
Next up, Florida to get married in August!
Thank you to everyone who has read and commented

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Thanks so much for doing this report Alicia! Really interesting and it's helped a lot as Washington is definitely on the list, possibly next year.

So good to have a trip with Hope and your Mum 🥰 - lots of fun and no golf to fit in! Hopefully you've found homes for all your shopping haul by now! 🤣

Can't wait to read all about your wedding in August!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Loved reading along, thank you. Are you all totally ready & organised for your wedding? It’s getting close now, exciting!
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

What a great report Alicia, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading along. Such an interesting trip, and I absolutely love the look of Washington DC. Glad you got home safely, and I'll look forward to your wedding report - how exciting

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Great report and I’m glad you had such a good trip xxx
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 22, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

I love your trip reports ❤️🇺🇸
Can’t believe how easily you went to sleep on the flight 🙊😴 wish that was me 🤣🤣
Roll on the Wedding 💕💕💕
Xx

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 22, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I've loved reading your girls trip. It seems you had a great time and you managed to cram in loads, even your flying visit to your friend. Reading about DC has made me want to go back again as It is a lovely city. But the real star of the trip was Harper's Ferry I think and the Shenandoah national park. Perhaps if the weather had been better in Philly that would have been more impressive, but it certainly didn't seem to wow you.

Did your mum and Hope enjoy themselves? Are you considering another girls trip? I know you did Berlin as a girls trip.

Thanks for sharing it really has been fun to read along.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 22, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Have fully caught up on your trip, and now I am desperate to go to D.C! Need to get my planning head on!

Looks like you had a wonderful time. I can't wait to travel again!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Thanks so much for doing this report Alicia! Really interesting and it's helped a lot as Washington is definitely on the list, possibly next year.

So good to have a trip with Hope and your Mum 🥰 - lots of fun and no golf to fit in! Hopefully you've found homes for all your shopping haul by now! 🤣

Can't wait to read all about your wedding in August!
Oh you must, if you need any help planning then just shout!

It was lovely just us girls and we’ve vowed to do another trip again, and yes no golf to add to the itinerary 😂

The wedding is coming around so quickly, it’ll be here before I know it!

Thank you for reading 😊

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 4fromsuffolk View Post
Loved reading along, thank you. Are you all totally ready & organised for your wedding? It’s getting close now, exciting!
Thank you for reading along 😊
I was feeling really organised for the wedding but then I wrote a list out this weekend and realised I’ve actually got quite a bit to still sort 😂. It will all come together eventually I’m sure, and hope!

IG - alicialanesmith