Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jun 22, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
These strikes are not building favour in my book. We are all in the same position yet not every employee is allowed to strike… police for example.

It’s annoying they are choosing school holidays for this action. After these unprecedented times we all need a good holiday especially children and parents.
Why especially children and parents? Those of us without children are no less important and with my health issues I'm making the most of my holidays.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
Why especially children and parents? Those of us without children are no less important and with my health issues I'm making the most of my holidays.
Totally. I'm a teacher and I'm married to a nurse. He worked in central London throughout the pandemic unstoppably - at one point doing his job and also volunteering on the Covid ICU to keep his trust going.

There is no one more deserving of a holiday in my book (I know I am biased... but still!).
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

I would imagine the poster mentioned children as they were talking about school holidays.
Don't think anyone thinks no one else deserves a holiday.
Enchanted is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
I would imagine the poster mentioned children as they were talking about school holidays.
The poster said ESPECIALLY children and parents. That sounds to me that they think those of us without children don't matter.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
Precisely because they are affecting school holidays.

Of course everyone deserves a holiday. I am not suggesting any different so please get off that band wagon.

My point was ….

I personally do not agree with any of these strikes as I think the country as a whole is struggling without strikes making peoples situations worse.

I think to continue they will alienate the majority.

It was never about who does / diesn’t deserve a holiday….we all do.
Old 23 Jun 22, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

The poster said ESPECIALLY children and parents. That sounds to me that they think those of us without children don't matter.
Omg….. I didn’t mean that at all!
Old 23 Jun 22, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

If my original post can be re read by those jumping up and down I wrote….

WE ALL NEED A GOOD HOLIDAY…..

the reference to children was to bring them back sone normality. It was mentioned because if the strike plans in the SCHOOL HOLIDAYS.

Therefore please STOP thinking I am against others having a holiday. THAT IS NOT WHAT I SAID.
Old 23 Jun 22, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chrisnasah View Post
I see mention of terminal 5. I am flying with American Airlines does it mean I should be ok or would they use the ba ground staff due to some code sharing they have?
AA-operated flights should not be affected, it uses its own ground handlers at LHR. There might be some impact from general crowds and chaos.

Originally Posted by annachief View Post
Just on LBC is around 50% of staff that will go on strike, BA think they can cover most of the flights - will be some cancellations but like the previous cancellations likely to be to destinations that have multiple flights a day and will try to move people so I think the disruption will be minimal. More risk of longer queues to check in and board.
MRDA. Unlikely BA could cover this, they are massively stretched already. Anyone with much knowledge of BA’s operation at LHR knows when the biggest strain on check-in occurs, the union will certainly know when deciding strike dates. There will be plenty of cancellations if it goes ahead, albeit more of them would be domestic and other short haul, than long haul.

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
It’s annoying they are choosing school holidays for this action.
Negotiations are always about leverage and timing is part of leverage. BA used its timing leverage during the pandemic to cut pay and conditions, now it will find itself getting a dose of its own medicine. Customers, and particularly those restricted to school holidays for travel, are of course caught in the crossfire, but they are the leverage.

Edited at 11:29 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 02:08 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I guess what was meant is it's harder for those tied to school holidays to rearrange.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 02:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Most adults are far better placed to deal with the disappointment than children and if you are not restricted to school holidays it easier to reschedule.

I think perhaps those without children may not truly understand how much more difficult dealing with delays cancellations and disappointments is with a child or with children than it is as an adult.

We had to cancel a trip as mum was poorly and we could not be away from her if it had just been me and DW it would have been far easier than having to tell a 6 year old we had cancelled a trip. Telling her was far worse for us than losing the holiday.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List