Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jul 22, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyfloss
Imagineer

I started my nurse training in 1977. I’d had jobs in hospitality prior to that but after qualifying as a nurse worked in the NHS, mainly in critical care, until my mid 40’s. I then moved across to working in education, supporting children with various needs.
Age 49 I was successful in my application to join BA as cabin crew and started just after my 50th birthday. Initially I worked long haul from MAN which essentially was to JFK. Had a ball and loved every minute of it.
BA ended their association with MAN and most crew were taken over by Flybe and I stayed with them for several more years.
In my 50’s and early 60’s I took a teaching qualification, worked in health and social care training, qualified as a fitness instructor and aromatherapist, plus other therapies with intentions of setting up a business catering for older women, possibly intimidated by a conventional gym.
Circumstances meant that at 60 I also returned to more conventional employment carrying out medical assessments.
I’m now 67 and still thinking about my fitness business.
Due to juggling hours and appropriate CPD I have been able to maintain my registration throughout.
Long winded way of saying YES it is possible to change career at 50+ and if it’s something you like, go for it!
Good luck.

Edited at 12:13 PM.
Tillyfloss is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

I’m having similar thoughts. I’m in my mid 40’s and started my nurse training at 18, 28 years ago. I’ve worked consistently in healthcare since then, done some management, done my prescribing qualifications and got an MSc in advanced clinical practice. I’ve worked in hospitals and the community but I’m just not feeling it any more. I’m emotionally exhausted and feel that a change would be really beneficial for me and my family. That said I’ve got no idea what that something else would be! I feel totally unqualified to try anything else although I don’t mind training I just don’t know what I would enjoy. I suppose what I’m trying to say if you’ve got something in mind (and clearly you have), then just go for it! I’m really intrigued as to what your idea is though!
Evil queen is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

So my dad 12 years ago decided to give up his career of 25 years and directorship of a company to do a year of teacher training. He was 60 when he did this, sadly after he qualified he couldn’t get a job due to his age, who knew when they’re crying out for science teachers, but he then went self employed and used the experience to deliver training courses in his main area of expertise.

He still does the odd bit of work now, I don’t think he’ll ever fully retire, he says his hobby is invoicing

My husband was given the opportunity to take voluntary redundancy 6 years ago, aged 43, he’d always wanted to get into sport broadcasting and journalism, so decided he was going to take the opportunity, to say if not now when, and at least he could look back and say he tried. It took about a year to get up and running, but now he has several clients, working cameras, directing, commentating and writing, and pre-covid had travelled to Korea, Japan, USA, Estonia and many other places, now though it’s mostly within the UK, but I’m sure those opportunities around the world will open up again in the future. He’s 50 this year and I don’t think he will ever look back.

DH leaving full time employment also coincided with my maternity leave finishing, so instead of going back part time, I went back full time and still am working full time, and am currently working on getting a 2nd promotion.

The only thing we didn’t factor into this whole plan was a pandemic, so it’s definitely something we will ensure we had money saved for in case anything like this happens again, it was really tough for us, especially on half income for 6 months, but we survived, but I don’t want to face uncertainty like how are we going to survive like that again.
2026 - maybe...

Edited at 01:21 PM.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I am currently 52. During my career I have occupied several senior positions in finance in multinationals. In 2019 I resigned from my last role and decided to go back to university where I did a masters degree which I was going to use as a catalyst as a career change into HR. I hadn’t really had chance to get started on my HR career and truthfully, I think it was hard to be taken seriously as the 50 year old looking for entry level work. Then pandemic hit and I shelved plans, decided to take some time out and last year my only work was volunteering in a couple of the vaccine centres.

I have now gone back to work part time, three days a week. Funnily enough in finance, but at a very junior level, which sort of amuses me. Other than the person that recruited me, nobody would know my background and nobody so far has asked what I did previously.

I like that I start at a particular time, have a set time for lunch, down tools and go home at a particular time. And I don’t give work a moments thought inbetween, something which has never happened before. It is also an easy 25 minute drive away whereas previously I have always had commutes of well over an hour and on public transport. I might start a little ETSY shop and will work on craft on my non working days.

In the future, I might look to see if I can transfer to HR within the company I am in now. If I do, then I might start to look to develop a second career, but I am finished with finance as a career now.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I’m nearly 40 and have recently taken the plunge for a complete career change which I’ve spoken about on here before.
I’m semi leaving my job in beauty and am joining BA to be cabin crew. It’s been a long process but I finally have my start date for September 26th.
I naively thought I would be one of the eldest and surrounded by youngsters in their early 20’s but I couldn’t have been more wrong!
In my training group there is a lady who is 60 this year. Worked in education for her entire career, didn’t want to retire, loves to travel so went for it! We also have a 51 and 46 year old.
If it’s something you want to do and can afford the wage drop then go for it!
I’m trying to live by the mantra to regret the things I did and not the things I didn’t 😊
Ah man id love to do cabin crew! Good luck, amazing! X
Old 3 Jul 22, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I did!
I've posted this before but at the ripe old age of 62 and with 42 years Catering/Chef under my belt I trained to be a 999 Call Handler for the Police! I did 9 weeks training and passed. I was soooo proud of myself.
Go for it or you'll Never know. x

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I’m no spring chicken

Been psychiatric nursing for almost 37 years
Going to be retiring in a couple of months

Last year I qualified as a swimming teacher and do a voluntary role teaching at the weekends - I absolutely love it 😍
I’ve already got 2 swimmer teacher jobs waiting for me - thought I was retiring !

Don’t let age stop you

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

I am 51 and the only career change I am contemplating is retirement at the end of the year hopefully.

But good luck to you - I say Go for it.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Like others. Not s career change but retired from nursing aged 55 and whilst i miss the friendships I don't miss the NHS slog. Husband retired same year from 36 years in construction. Sold house moved abroad. I then studied for my CELTA certificate and teach English two evenings a week in a local school, students aged between 5-55. I love it .
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

We never know how many seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years we have left on this planet.
You could spend this precious time thinking & running around in circles undecided. Life is way too short. Go for it.
Pro list= financial & emotional support
Con list= financial & emotional support everything else comes out in the wash.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List