Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jul 22, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thecheshiredad View Post
I’d say the weakness of the pound will have a strong bearing on peoples thoughts about choosing to vacation at WDW in future. Its already hugely inflated and without the favourable exchange rate to soften the blow it’ll definitely make some think twice.

Of course it could start to recover but getting back to somewhere more palatable doesn’t look likely any time soon.

Disneyland Paris is starting to look a whole lot more attractive.
Many currencies are linked to the dollar. Most Caribbean currencies that use East Caribbean dollars are linked at 2.68 to the us$. The Cambodian currency is essentially the US Dollar, many far east currency are influenced.

The 3uro is as bad and many currencies not linked to the dollar are linked to the euro
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Concerned View Post
The statistics speak for themselves. It is a collapse for the simple reason that the normal exchange rate is between 1.30 and 1.70, with some peaks and troughs. The current rate is the second lowest in 40 years and no, there is no likelihood of a recovery in the immediate future.

"Life is for living" - yes it is, but not all of us have ample final salary pensions and £1M properties in London!

Many of us are still slaving away in jobs we hate just to earn enough to afford such holidays. Sorry to put a dampener on things, but a sense of proportion is needed.
I agree a sense of proportion is needed but comparing rates to 1985 isn't it.

I went in 2017 and got about 1.22 a quick Google shows:
Ave rate for 2020 was 1.28 (so less than £100 dip in £1000 now) then COVID happened.
Ave rate in 2021 was 1.18 so similar to know.
Ave until now in 2022 1.29 so assume people concerned have been buying each month to spread their risk?

Assume when people are booking a holiday they have a glance at exchange rates if it's a factor and budget accordingly. Anyone booking recently shouldn't be surprised or face the unexpected as it's not changed significantly over the past 12 months.

It's always good to highlight and particularly the PP who shared actual prices are rising which will have a bigger impact but we need to be responsible and not trying to just quote headlines and cause panic. Many are stressed/anxious already.

Edited at 02:31 PM.
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

trying to be positive this is great news for the UK tourist industry as it makes the UK a relatively cheap place for the Americans to come to.
But i expect holidays to be more expensive in the future as oil/fuel is priced in dollars.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

I only got $1.20 when I went to California in Oct 2019.
m2k00 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by m2k00 View Post
I only got $1.20 when I went to California in Oct 2019.
Yes, it’s been rubbish since June 2016.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
There is no “collapse”

It will bounce back - personally not overly bothered.

Ofcourse I would love a better fX rate but will it change our plans ? Nope - we will ride it out as life is for living and that is what my partner and I do - living our best life’s at the moment as are many others we know (I have worked very hard over the years not to enjoy every second I have left in life)
Spot on young man! We are in a similiar position. We have both worked damn hard for the lovely home and new car we have.

Yes we get good pensions, good pensions we paid into.

And yes we can holiday in the US when we want, where we want!

Sadly there is many who for some reason are jealous of how hard many of us have worked to get what we have today.

First time we went to LA in 1979 we got $2-£1.

But have to agree the exchange rate for our upcoming 6 week road trip is pants!
Old 6 Jul 22, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Lozza
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
Spot on young man! We are in a similiar position. We have both worked damn hard for the lovely home and new car we have.

Yes we get good pensions, good pensions we paid into.

And yes we can holiday in the US when we want, where we want!

Sadly there is many who for some reason are jealous of how hard many of us have worked to get what we have today.

First time we went to LA in 1979 we got $2-£1.

But have to agree the exchange rate for our upcoming 6 week road trip is pants!
It’s not that people are jealous but bragging about your lovely new home and car, pension (all of which I have btw) is not gonna endear you to many people really. Read the room. A lot of people are really struggling right now.
Lozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
Very Serious Dibber

We just booked a second trip for the end of the year as well. It sucks but I’m going to just go with the mindset of parity when looking at prices for everything and cross my fingers that it improves, it is what it is.
Ben1993 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
The dizzy heights of $2+ to £1 are long gone.

For the average person staying 2 weeks, a 0.1-0.3 change in the rate isn’t going to have a massive “end of the world” impact as is being implied (it’s been low for a few years now anyway!).

And for those that are concerned or believe they are impacted, cut your cloth to fit, as someone mentioned, sort your own breakfast and/or lunch etc.

Unless your spending several thousand £s I’d say it’s not that big a deal IMO (as frustrating as it may be), we’ve been hit by Covid, Brexit, War in Ukraine, energy issues, have Mr Tumble for PM etc, what do you honestly expect the rate to be?!. I’m not worrying about it for our upcoming trip I can’t influence it so not worth stressing.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lovemickey
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lozza View Post
It’s not that people are jealous but bragging about your lovely new home and car, pension (all of which I have btw) is not gonna endear you to many people really. Read the room. A lot of people are really struggling right now.
Don’t really see anyone on this thread bragging, the pensions and cost of homes was brought up by the op as a dig at other posters. Like you say a lot of people are struggling right now, I’m sure they would see anyone who’s biggest worry was not having as many dollars to spend on holiday as being pretty privileged regardless of how they afford it.
lovemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List