Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 10 Jul 22, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Salou/Portaventura with adult wristbands and a 21st. Salou June/July 2022. Travel Day

Hello.
Index

A quick introduction before I start.
This will be the 8th visit to Salou for our little family. The first time was summer 2009 and then every October from 2012-2016, missed a year as dd hated holidays and refused to go. Luckily that phase didn’t last long and we returned when she was 17 in 2018.
Starting uni and covid got in the way the past couple of years but this visit was to celebrate her 21st birthday.
We were considering going away for her 21st but only booked after my mum passed last year.
The thought of not being in mums garden for a party similar to her 18th was too much so I booked flights with jet2.
We usually fly with Ryan air but no flights to Reus were available at the time, plus jet2 included 10kg hand luggage.
Her bf joined us.
This is us.

Me, Julie. Data protector. Holder of passports and documents.
Oh, Matt. Speed walker.
Dd, Jess. Birthday girl, starting her last year of uni in September.
Dd bf, Charlie. Recent graduate of Physics.

I brought 2 day portaventura (including one visit to Ferrari land) and one day caribe water park direct from the portaventura website before we left.
Jess and Charlie planned a day in Barcelona.

Jet2 changed our flights from afternoon to 8.45 am.
I had arranged a lift with a friend, Paul and he was still happy to take us early.
With all the media about horrific queues I booked a fast pass security for us, £7 each.
We agreed on getting picked up at 4am, we would have drove to his but road closures meant had to take a different route.
We only drove a few minutes and a speed camera flashed 🤦🏻 Not the best start.
The journey was uneventful, slower than usual but easy enough and we soon got back onto the main road to take us to stansted.
Paul followed the drop off signs which took us to the mid stay car park, you get an hour free here and its so simple, much better than being ripped off dropping outside the airport.
We arrived at 6am and a bus was pulling up so a quick goodbye to Paul and off we went. We had to stand as it was busy, Charlie managed to spill a drink over me when the bus jolted, we all had a laugh about it. It wasn’t really that much and was nice to have a giggle.
The airport was busy, I’m sure we would have managed normal security but it took about 10 minutes using the fast track, well worth it and I could be smug after Jess and Matt told me not to bother.
Matt speed matched us to spoons, a queue had already formed but upstairs area opened and we were pretty much straight in. Never been upstairs here before.
Obligatory pre flight photos.

We took it in turns to look in duty free, get a meal deal plus I picked up suncream and deodorant.
As soon as the gate was announced we took the shuttle there.
We had to wait and witnessed some police drama.
Two armed guards were chatting to a man in the corner, we did the whole pretend not to look but actually really intrigued thing.
His wife came over and started to protest but he wasn’t going anywhere.
We then boarded, on our way down two more guards and two normal clothed police ran upstairs. A police van was already waiting next to the plane and the man was placed into it handcuffed.
I have tried looking at online news sites but haven’t found why he was arrested.
Anyway, we all had seats next to each other, I checked us all in a month before and didn’t pay for seats. The plane seemed to have more legroom so it’s a big thumbs up to jet2 from us.

I put my ear plugs and eye mask on and managed some sleep.

I brought the cushion at Morrisons the day before, it’s inflatable and very handy. It was only £1.50. It was the last one, I would have picked up one each if I could.
We landed on time, took the short walk to passport control, weather was already hotter than we are used to.
Our covid passes were checked and we were through.
We went to the bathroom and I spotted the wife of the arrested man, they must have made back up plans as she was there with kids. Jess and Matt said they saw her on the plane.
I had booked a private transfer with hoppa but no one was holding my name. A lovely guy came over to try and help, he told us to call. I’m so glad I printed the info off as my email decided to log me out and I couldn’t get back in.
The lady in the phone was so helpful, she said with everyone’s flight changed it hasn’t been updated and would send a driver to us. It only took about 10 minutes and we were whisked into an eight seater taxi. The transfer is only 10/15 minutes, Reus really is the perfect airport for Salou and that area.
The hotel, Med Playa calypso is the one we have used for all our October visits. Matt booked direct, he got money on his amigo card plus premium upgrade included by doing this.
The amigo reward card is very generous and worth getting if you use med playa.
Jess got her first adult wristband 🎉
Our rooms were next to each other, one was ready so we dropped our cases off, got changed (apart from me)
Then it was time for the first drink. Nothing tastes as nice as that first sangria.

We had snacks and a couple of drinks then had a wander out.

Weather was perfect.
Charlie set his camera up to take this, one of my favourite photos.

Back at the hotel, the children went for a swim, usually the pool is freezing but they said it was warm.

Dinner was consumed. Jess found the olives so she was happy.

The shows took place outside.

We had quite a few drinks, the premium drinks were the same Spanish measures and we were allowed all the spirits (things changed the following night)
Jess used to be brillliant on the dance machine there, it was still in the amusement arcade and she was still decent at it. Matt and Charlie played pool.
By now it was past 11, we did plan to stay up for karaoke in the apple bar but we were shattered and sweaty. 🤣

Edited at 01:34 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 22, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

A long first day but successful! Dinner looks fabulous and so good to see the “children” having so much fun!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 22, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

Will be following with interest as taking this flight in 3 weeks. What day of the week was your flight and was the time of your return changed too? I’ve just checked in and not showing any changes fingers crossed.Thanks
DFussy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 22, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
A long first day but successful! Dinner looks fabulous and so good to see the “children” having so much fun!
The children loved it. Jess used to be scared but is a rollercoaster junkie now. 🤦🏻
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 22, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DFussy View Post
Will be following with interest as taking this flight in 3 weeks. What day of the week was your flight and was the time of your return changed too? I’ve just checked in and not showing any changes fingers crossed.Thanks
The return flight was changed about 2weeks before we left to an earlier one, I think to 12.45, worked out better for us though as no waiting around and got home to celebrate with my sister.
We went Tuesday to Tuesday.
Old 11 Jul 22, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks Roxie. We’re Sunday. I might start checking out stansted departures to see if a change looks imminent.
DFussy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DFussy View Post
Thanks Roxie. We’re Sunday. I might start checking out stansted departures to see if a change looks imminent.
Both flights left and landed on time, honestly jet2 were brilliant.
We didn’t lose our seats either when the flights changed.