Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 2 Aug 22, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarica
Gone all Goofy

“Is it time to relax yet?” - New York February 2022 Day 5

Thursday 24th February 2022 - Day 5

I had a little lie in this morning and woke up just after 8am. We had breakfast near hotel. I had orange juice and an egg and cheese sandwich. Dan had a sausage, egg and cheese roll with a coffee.
We headed to the 9/11 Tribute Museum, which was interesting but very small. They had artefacts like plane tickets, death certificates and clothing. Dan bought a book at the end.
Next we went to the Ice Cream Museum in SoHo to find they no longer accept the New York pass so didn’t bother as I didn’t want to pay $36 each to get in. A bit early, we went to the Highline via a little look around the Meatpacking District. I loved this area of Manhattan, so quiet.

I wasn’t feeling great, had a head ache which felt like it could be a migraine so we took it slow with a Spanish latte. Stopped by Chelsea Market, which Dan loved. I’ve been here every trip to New York and the shops and little food outlets inside are stunning.

I got some Fat Witch Bakery brownies and Dan and I shared a slice of the Chocolate German cake from Amy’s Bread. I’d heard such good things about Amy’s Bread but unfortunately this didn’t quite hit the spot. There was so many other delicious looking treats.

…Maybe I should have opted for the best sticky bun in NYC! Next time. 😉
It was around lunch time by this point so Dan started feeling peckish so went to a busy Chinese place. He got cumin lamb biang biang noodles, thought these were lovely but couldn’t finish them all so got them to go.

I got a cherry tomato papadelle with mozzarella ($13) and a blood orange soda from one of the Italian shops downstairs.

I started to perk up after some food, thankfully.

There were so much good sweet looking food but Dan reminded me I’ve already got treats for later so I wasn’t allowed to buy any more sweet treats. 😡 I’ve got such a sweet tooth so there’s no such thing as too many sweet treats. 😭

Jumped back on the Highline towards Hudson’s Yard.

Today was a very cold day, my ears were painful from the cold which is why I had my hood up. 🥶

Spotted The Vessel outside the shopping centre. I read they closed this down after 2 years after a few people jumped off from the top. 😳

Hudson’s Yard was very upmarket, we both felt out of place and underdressed. Nipped into Dylan’s Candy Bar, which was tiny so nothing took my fancy, quite a small store too.

Went on in to the Edge, finding the entrance was quite confusing. Again, used the New York Pass for this.
It was TERRIFYING. It was open air with glass around the outside, with a small glass floor area.

Stupid child 😂

I couldn’t even get close to the edge as I was terrified. My hands were sweating so much you could see steam come off them! 😂😱

Dan plucked up the courage to walk across the glass floor.

He looks pretty chuffed with himself! I had to get him to take some pics looking down since he’s much braver than me. 😂

I walked over the corner and got some pics.

Edge is 1,100 feet high. I was crying with how scared I was, partly because it was VERY windy and felt like I’d be having a Mary Poppins moment. Some people were abseiling down to the Edge part. I have no idea how they did it! People were cheering them on and waving.
On our way out we saw a photo of us. We couldn’t stop laughing at how ridiculous it is 😂😂

We got the subway back to the hotel (7 then a change to the 6) to chill for a couple of hours.

I’ve been desperate to go to Panera Bread. Dan wasn’t too enthusiastic as he liked bigger meals for dinner. I had the grilled cheese and tomato soup “value set” ($6.99 + tax) and an agave lemonade. All were delicious!

Dan had mac n cheese with an unsweetened iced tea. He liked the mac n cheese but not the iced tea.
At 8pm was the Ghost Walk in Greenwich Village, part of the New York pass ($35 without). This was was fantastic! Dan wasn’t too fussed about going as it was a very cold evening, in minus figures and frosty.
A really eerie tour, there’s something just so spooky and haunting about Greenwich after dark. There was a few stops including a house on Gay Street which is currently owned by a Russian oligarch, apparently the FBI had raided the house months earlier to add to the bizarreness and creepiness of the house.

It lasted until 9.45 due to the snow storm that was heading our way. We were the only group who tipped, the rest of the group were British and European so I felt really bad and embarrassed for the lady as we thought she was great!

Crawled into bed just before midnight. 😴

Step count: 18,909
8.4 miles

Day 6

Edited at 09:17 PM.
Clarica is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 22, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Brilliant day! I'd have been in tears too on The Edge, so scary. Love a ghost walk 😱

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarica
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Brilliant day! I'd have been in tears too on The Edge, so scary. Love a ghost walk 😱
There’s just nothing that prepares you for being that high up 😱
Clarica is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List