Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Aug 22, 02:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Family First August 2022: Day 1 Everglades 13.08.22 LIVE

Day 1: Everglades and travelling to Disney 13.08.22

After not sleeping well, I was woken up by the boys talking loudly at 6am. We decided to get up. We had breakfast bars and vegan croissants for breakfast that we had bought with us and I had a shower. The hotel pool looked nice but we had to check out by 8am as we had a 9.30am tour booked for the Shark Valley part of the Everglades.

After doing my research, I discovered that this was the real part of the National Park and the tour consisted of a tram tour in an eco-electric vehicle and a stop off at a lookout tower.
We got to Shark Valley at 9am and paid $30 for entrance into the national park. This gives you access to any of the national park sights for 7 days or you can buy an annual pass for $55. We went to the toilet and refilled our water bottles. We discovered that the toilets were a hole in the ground, literally.

The tour was very informative and we saw a few birds but no alligators. However it was nice to do it in a way that was the least harmful to the wildlife. It took about 2 hours.

Here are some of my photos:

The tram

We got the boy’s some ice creams and Ashley got a toy flamingo with his spending money (what that has to do with the Everglades, I don’t know).

Now it was time for lunch. I’d done some research and discovered a Mexican chain, Chipotle had some vegan options so noted its location before we left the UK. Well, we couldn’t find it! In the end, we stopped off at a shopping/restaurant area and I sent Owen to get a Dominos pizza. Unlike the UK counterpart, they don’t have anything vegan in the US so I had a bag of crisps I’d bought at the airport yesterday!

We didn’t leave Miami until 1.30pm, far later than I’d planned so we decided that despite booking Hollywood Studios for the evening, we were just going to get to our resort and chill out. We were all shattered and still had the drive to Orlando.

It was a long drive and due to several thunderstorms along the way, took longer than expected. We saw quite a bit of lightning along the way. We only made a brief pit stop at a service area where I also accidentally bought a plant based cookie I saw. To be far, I had only had a bag of crisps for lunch!

After what felt like forever, we finally went under the iconic Walt Disney World sign.

We had finally made it and were so relieved!

When we arrived at Caribbean Beach, we discovered we were in block 44, Jamaica but Alex was over in block 22 Martinque. We decided to get some dinner, our refillable cups and then try and see if we could change it. I think we were all flagging and I need of a meal.

Mobile ordering from Centre town was a piece of cake. We ordered an impossible burger and fries to share, extra fries for Ashley, macaroni and cheese for Hayden and Alex got chicken strips and fries.

The food was okay but mostly just filled my empty stomach! We also got a refillable cup each which we love and the boys are obsessed with! It’s a nice souvenir too.

After dinner, we went to guest services to sort out the room. A lovely CM named Becky helped us and was able to switch Alex to building 46 so it was at least in Jamaica! She also gave the boys badges.

We also got some bits for breakfast tomorrow like cereal and fruit. Finally, we headed back to our rooms to unpack and get the boys to bed.

Some room photos

As I was talking to Hayden, I realised that we are finally here. I tried hard not to cry because it just means everything. Third time lucky after years of saving and planning. Whatever happens, just being here is a blessing. By the way, writing this, has made me cry!

Tomorrow we are going to Animal Kingdom. We have a reservation at Tusker House for lunch. The weather forecast doesn’t look great and Peter and Rachel have had flight problems so still haven’t gotten here yet – more on that tomorrow. However we’ll do what we can and try not to let the weather ruin our first day at Disney!
Old 17 Aug 22, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Glad you managed to sort a room nearer to yours for your brother

Joan
Old 18 Aug 22, 03:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Glad you managed to sort a room nearer to yours for your brother

Joan
Thank you Joan. It is much easier now he is closer.
Old 21 Aug 22, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Hooray you are there at last What a wonderful CM to move your brother

I remember the first time I went and like you I cried and felt so overwhelmed at first but that was years ago when everything was easier and I didn't have trips cancelled due to Covid-19
Old 22 Aug 22, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Yes we recommended her. It was such an incredible feeling. It still feels a bit surreal, seeing all the sights and places I've read about in other trippies.
Old 3 Oct 22, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Another long day but at least your settled into Disney and you managed to move Alex closer to your room. I’m sure the trip feels even more emotional with all the cancellations.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List